breakfast help!?

Options
Hello my name is Jen. I am a mom of 2 busy boys and work full time. I go to work really early in the morning (4am), I have a hard time eating breakfast. Nothing ever sounds good, and I dont like milk...... Any suggestions for healthy breakfasts to start my day off right?! Thanks Jen

Replies

• Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    I make breakfast burritos and keep them in the freezer. Tortilla, Eggbeaters, shredded cheese and salsa, and hamburger, or whatever you like. I can usually keep them around 200 calories and they only take 2 minutes to heat up in the microwave
  • deanmarino
    deanmarino Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Love the Fage 2% Greek yogurt with the fruit on the side. Only 130 calories and delicious. Also has 10g of protein.
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    Boil eggs on the weekend and put in fridge, just grab a couple and good to go.
  • mommyof3nnewjersey
    Options
    what a great idea I never thought of doing that :)
    I will have to try it! Im loving oatmeal with some walnuts and a lil bit of sugar free jam in it :)
  • jnfrdawn
    jnfrdawn Posts: 8
    Options
    Single mom here! My healthier go-to breakfasts are Nutri Grain waffles -- while they're toasting, grab a container of mixed berries, already washed and put together at the grocer's. When the waffles pop up, put one down, drop on some berries, and then smoosh the other waffle on top to make a sandwich. :)

Other one - whole grain English muffin sandwich, with 2 oz. deli meat and a slice of cheese.

These are my fastest go-to's when I'm in a hurry and need something I can just hold in one hand. They might not be the absolute healthiest, but they're both under 300 calories, have whole grains, and are way better than nothing! :)
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    Bagel and a boiled egg. It's really portable, so if you do better eating an hour or two later, you can just take them with you. A whole grain bagel is best, but either way you get a good balance of carbs, protein, and unsaturated fat.

Or yogurt with granola, since you don't like milk. Some people prefer plain yogurt, but the slightly sweetened/flavored ones are okay too (as long as it's not the nearly-candy ones they market for kids!)
  • Sigra
    Sigra Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I recently stumbled upon a 5min breakfast that I can make myself.

*100cal Nature's Own English Muffin
    *1 Fried egg
    * 1tsp I can't believe it's not Butter(Light)
    *sprinkle of fat free shredded cheese

Pop Muffin in the microwave while you're frying the egg, spread butter on muffin, slap egg inside the muffin and add cheese on top. Comes out to about 200cal for an extremely filling sandwich.
    Best of luck!
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Boil eggs on the weekend and put in fridge, just grab a couple and good to go.

This.

Same suggestion, along with some fruit or avocado, I gave to my sister (who has a full time career plus motherhood to deal with).
  • farmgirl88
    farmgirl88 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Anything with protein is a great option--it's filling and it's a good fuel to start your morning off with.

- Eggs are a great option.
    - Yogurt is another winner (plain yogurt is best--too much sugar will make you crash later on in the day).
    - If you have to have something to grab and go, look for a protein shake or bar that you can take with you. (I know my mom swore by a Low-Carb Slim Fast and a banana to get her through her morning.)
    - Protein smoothie: Plain yogurt, vanilla protein powder, and frozen berries. Whirl in the blender and go! It's very filling and delicious.
    - If you want the ultimate power breakfast--4 oz of lean meat with 2 cups of spinach (no dressing) and lots of water on the side

Hope these suggestions help! :)
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    If your not hungry, don't eat it. Save your calories for later in the day, just make sure you don't under eat.
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    Nothing would sound good to me at 4am either! But hopefully after being up and at a little while you are hungry and could go prepared with a variety of fruits (bananas, apple slices with some peanut butter, melons cut up, berries). Not sure if you like yogurt since you said you didn't like milk, but it certainly is portable and yummy to me. Dry cereal in a baggie which you can eat with your hands, granola, almonds, walnuts and peanuts all make easy to pack and go breakfast options. I personally love oatmeal and grits and they are already packaged such that if you have access to a microwave at work, you can make a bowl of either. Sometimes I think we are too hung up on what is a breakfast food that we overlook the fact that we can eat our previous day's leftovers for breakfast as an option too. I had a 4 oz. steak for breakfast this morning!
  • c5steven
    c5steven Posts: 3
    Options
    I'm on a smoothie kick and they would be a great "to-go" breakfast. The ones i make have spinach and you don't taste it at all!! You could have everything to go in the blender the night before and just blend it in the morning. I also don't like milk so I use soy.

-1 banana
    -1 cup frozen sliced strawberries
    -1 cup soy milk (or almond etc)
    -1 cup compacted spinach leaves (i know it sounds super weird, but trust me you can't taste it)
    optional:
    -1 tbsp ground flax seed
    -1 tbsp natural nut butter (almond or peanut)
    -sprinkle of cinnamon
  • asmith74
    asmith74 Posts: 12
    Options
    Hi Jen,
    I suggest a fruit smoothie or Slim Fast type of shake to take with you. I dont blame you I wouldnt be hungry that time of morning either. Good luck Jen!