Help with fats!

Options
I'm a bit confused about what sort of fats i should be aiming to eat. I always thought unsaturated fats were better but MFP has an automatic goal of 0g for unsaturated and 9g for saturated... Should i look at changing this? Any advice would be appreciated.

Replies

• Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    The only thing I would worry about are trans fats, and honestly I don't worry much about those either. Eat the fats, fats are good, and yummy.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Disregard it and look at total fat instead.

Avoid trans fat, though.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Good fats are the kinds in nuts, avocados etc. You don't need to change anything.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    I believe that the 0g for Poly and Mono is because there is no official RDA on those.

Both are 'good' fats and should be part of your dietary intake.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Fats to avoid - Man Made Transfats and Interesterified Fats.
    Fats to limit - polyunsaturated
    Fats to enjoy - saturated and monounsaturated
  • dani_mfp
    dani_mfp Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice guys
  • jeff0406
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »
    The only thing I would worry about are trans fats, and honestly I don't worry much about those either. Eat the fats, fats are good, and yummy.

• jeff0406
    Options
    Are bacon fats healthy?
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    some fats have more nutrition than others. I eat a lot of wild salmon and get a lot of my fat from fish oil naturally.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    jeff0406 wrote: »
    Are bacon fats healthy?

its bacon - of course!

• jnord8729
    jnord8729 Posts: 234 Member
    Options

Almost right. Limit saturated and enjoy any unsaturated (poly or mono). Saturated fat raises the LDL (bad) cholesterol (which is why MFP has a recommendation macro for it) while unsaturated fats have either no effect or a lowering effect (why there's no recommendation for it)
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options
    jnord8729 wrote: »

Almost right. Limit saturated and enjoy any unsaturated (poly or mono). Saturated fat raises the LDL (bad) cholesterol (which is why MFP has a recommendation macro for it) while unsaturated fats have either no effect or a lowering effect (why there's no recommendation for it)
    It is a little more involved then that....... broad statements generally are though.

• tennisdude2004
    edited January 2015
    Options
    jnord8729 wrote: »

Why limit saturated fat?

It also increases ldl particles making them less harmful. combined with a lower carb diet it also decreases triglycerides - not too sure whats bad about that.

I especially would limit polyunsaturated fats when cooking or be concerned about eating food which has been cooked in polyunsaturated fat that's been heated on numerous occasions.

I certainly would opt for saturated over other fats, but then I limit my carb intake so that would make sense for me.

I think your information about saturated fats may be a bit incomplete or out of date.