Spinning

Options
I have recently have fallen in love with spinning but someone told me that it will bulk up my legs. I have researched on line and there seems to be a split opinion about this. Since I am already bottom heavy I'm just wondering if anyone here has found that the legs get bigger the more you spin. I spin about 3 days a week and do other exercises the other days.
Thanks so much!!

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Although cycling is resistance based cardio it's highly unlikely your legs will get "bulky" unless you take your cycling to Olympian levels.
    Even then a lot of female cyclists have awesome legs - OK, I admit it, I'm just looking for an excuse to Google Victoria Pendleton..... :blush:

I use a Spinning bike for a lot of my indoor/winter training and frequently do interval sessions hitting maximum resistance. I've got strong and lean legs but by no means big or bulky.

Don't worry about it - enjoy your Spinning.
  • conita667
    conita667 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    hi there 4 months of spinning 3 times a week, stronger not bulky!
  • toscarthearmada
    toscarthearmada Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I plan on starting Spinning this week as cross training to my half marathon training. How is spinning on the knees?
  • redpandora56
    redpandora56 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    agree with the other replies - i used to spin 3 times a week for nearly 2 years before an (unrelated) injury, and my legs were strong and lean but not bulky.
  • sijomial
    Options
    I plan on starting Spinning this week as cross training to my half marathon training. How is spinning on the knees?

I've got five knee injuries (two serious) - suggest you build up slowly (especially the standing cycling which tests your stability and don't be afraid to go at your own pace. Proper cycling shoes (with cleats) help massively for stability and helping keep knees in proper alignment.
    Also - please get the instructor to set your bike up, most classes I see have people with their saddles far, far too low which isn't good news for damaged knees.

Cycling (as a generalisation) is excellent for knees, no impact and helps strengthen quads which have a big part to play in knee stability.
  • dimasj
    dimasj Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Phew what a relief! thank you all so much@

@sijomial when setting up the bike the instructor had me raise the saddle to hip level when standing beside the bike but when on the bike its seems too low as there is still a considerable bend in the knee, thoughts?
  • erockem
    erockem Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    OK, I admit it, I'm just looking for an excuse to Google Victoria Pendleton..... :blush:

Glad I wondered in here now. Thanks!

• DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I spin a lot. I put weight on my legs while I was pregnant (baby is 8 months now) so they're bigger because of that, but they definitely weren't bulky at all before pregnancy, and they're slimming down again.

I just adjust the saddle, handlebars etc until I'm comfortable.
  • jvs125
    jvs125 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    My best legs and butt happened when I was a regular in spinning classes and looong bike rides in the summer.
  • sijomial
    edited January 2015
    Options
    dimasj wrote: »
    Phew what a relief! thank you all so much@

@sijomial when setting up the bike the instructor had me raise the saddle to hip level when standing beside the bike but when on the bike its seems too low as there is still a considerable bend in the knee, thoughts?

That's very much a basic start point for leg length, "considerable" sounds too much to me! Very few people go too high. Easy to just keep experimenting and check in a mirror.
    Personally I prefer the 25% (or even less) end of the range they recommend.

http://spinning.com/en/file/download/tinymce_file_browser/76/Bike_Setup.pdf

• dimasj
    dimasj Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    that's a great article, thank you! yes, definitely I have a bigger knee bend then that, will up the seat tonight!

Thank you everyone for all the info, very helpful and reassuring!