I want to kill my alarm clock...

Options
Hello MFP World!

A poll for you early morning exercisers:

How early to you wake up every day to fit in your workout?

What time to you usually start work?

Replies

• yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I wake up at 5:45, get dressed, put my lenses in, brush my teeth, then get in my car and drive to the gym to get in for 6am. I make sure my bags are packed, lunch is made the night before.
    I work out for 50-60 minutes, then shower, dress, do my hair and makeup at the gym. Then I grab a coffee and depending on the time, sit there for 15 minutes or so before getting back in my car for 7:45 to arrive at my desk at 8:30.
  • fitphoenix
    fitphoenix Posts: 9,673 Member
    Options
    My alarm is set for 5am, but I usually wake up sometime between 4:30am-5am naturally. I use a workout DVD in the morning, shower, make breakfast, and am out the door by 6:30am to be at work for 7:15am or so. I get as much as possible ready the night before and go to bed early to ensure I'm still getting enough sleep. I'm much happier on the days I've woken naturally than the days my alarm gets me out of bed. :)
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ilikepeepull
    Options
    I've changed this recently. I have to be at work by 7.30 and it was a 20 min drive. In the summer I just rode my bicycle to work and showered there. I used to get up at 4am but I wouldn't get to bed till 10. I found cheating myself of sleep made me gain. Now I got to bed at 9pm at get up at 5. I moved 5 mins from my office. Now I just go around the corner to planet fitness come back home shower and drop the kids at school near my office. Everyone is different but I know I need the sleep.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Up @ 3:00 (winter slow time @ work). 40-45 commute. Use the gym @ work before I begin my day @ about 4:45-5:00. I start work when I am done. Summer, I go in even earlier. I work very long hours from April-December.
  • chivalryder
    Options
    I've changed this recently. I have to be at work by 7.30 and it was a 20 min drive. In the summer I just rode my bicycle to work and showered there. I used to get up at 4am but I wouldn't get to bed till 10. I found cheating myself of sleep made me gain. Now I got to bed at 9pm at get up at 5. I moved 5 mins from my office. Now I just go around the corner to planet fitness come back home shower and drop the kids at school near my office. Everyone is different but I know I need the sleep.

I feel you. I need plenty of sleep every night myself. If I got up by 4, I'd be in bed by 8 the night before.

I live about 20 minutes drive from work myself. When I did ride by bicycle, it was 1 hour each way. It's not so bad when I'm working regular hours, but when I'm pulling overtime, I don't have the time to cycle as I have other obligations.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I can't do with less than 7 hours of sleep. I don't know how you all do it.
  • chivalryder
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I can't do with less than 7 hours of sleep. I don't know how you all do it.

Easy. Don't get less than 7 hours of sleep.
  • chivalryder
    Options
    I tried a couple times to wake up early and get in a workout before work. By the time 2 PM rolls around, I'm groggy and irritable. So I decided it wasn't worth it and joined the after-work gym crowd.

My big problem is I cannot afford a gym membership (not sure what I would do there anyway - I despise stationary cardio machines and I'm not a fan of lifting weights - I prefer bodyweight exercises) and when I get home after work, I brain and body shuts off and I just want to veg. It's very difficult for me to get anything done after work during the week. However, on the days I do wake up early, I feel full of energy and ready to tackle the day.