Weight gaining tipps?

Options
hey community,
I'm looking for some help about how I could gain more efficient than I'm doing it right now.

About me:
6ft tall
169 lbs
4-5 workouts a week (90 minutes, heavy lifting)

I usually eat like 3600 calories per day. On workout days I try to eat 4000+.

I'm in this diet for 2 weeks now. I haven't gained any weight yet even though I increased my calories per day for like 800 calories.

Any tipps for me?

Replies

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    2 weeks is pretty quick. If you know your maintenance already then eat above it by about 500 cals. Give it some time before adding and add slowly or you'll end up gaining a lot of fat rather than a good balance of fat and muscle.

Also make sure you eat back your exercise calories that you burn. 90 mins is a long workout and can burn a ton of cals.
    default Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    patience?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I assume that you use a food scale and weigh all your food so that you know you are really eating 3600 a day..???
  • Jamiemudgway
    Options
    If you're not already, take creatine monohydrate every day
    default Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    you do not need to take creatine.
  • mandadean
    Options
    Double check your lifting... 90 minutes? Could be conditioning, which is burning calories. If you don't already, use barbells! Find something like a 5x5 or 3x5... Like Jim wendler's 5/3/1 or Starting Strength. Progressive overload, 3x/week, about 60 minutes each training day. More strength, less sweat.
  • achilies96
    Options
    Hey man, from what you've said, you sound like you have an ectomorph body type. It is important to know your body type so that you can train and eat the way best suited for you.
    Ectomorphs need to keep their workouts short (eg. 30-45 mins.) I think you are overtraining which is hampering your results. I would suggest working out once every other day ( 3-4 times a week.) It is important to let your body rest and recover as much as it is to train. Try to get 8 hours sleep minimum. During your sleep is when your muscles grow. In your workouts focus on targeting your muscle groups with compound exercises (eg. squats, deadlifts, etc.) Studies have shown squats boost growth hormone.

Ectomorphs macronutrients ratio should be 50% carbs, 30% protein, and 20% fats. Ensure you are eating good foods not processed. I've also read that it is important to drink lots of water.

All this information I found on fitness sites like bodybuilding.com. I've done quite a bit of research into fitness and muscle gaining because I am an ectomorph too. I know how hard it is to put on weight. Stay motivated and don't give up on your goal. Hope this helps!
  • TheMetalMan0
    TheMetalMan0 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    achilies96 wrote: »
    Hey man, from what you've said, you sound like you have an ectomorph body type. It is important to know your body type so that you can train and eat the way best suited for you.
    Ectomorphs need to keep their workouts short (eg. 30-45 mins.) I think you are overtraining which is hampering your results. I would suggest working out once every other day ( 3-4 times a week.) It is important to let your body rest and recover as much as it is to train. Try to get 8 hours sleep minimum. During your sleep is when your muscles grow. In your workouts focus on targeting your muscle groups with compound exercises (eg. squats, deadlifts, etc.) Studies have shown squats boost growth hormone.

Ectomorphs macronutrients ratio should be 50% carbs, 30% protein, and 20% fats. Ensure you are eating good foods not processed. I've also read that it is important to drink lots of water.

All this information I found on fitness sites like bodybuilding.com. I've done quite a bit of research into fitness and muscle gaining because I am an ectomorph too. I know how hard it is to put on weight. Stay motivated and don't give up on your goal. Hope this helps!

So much nope in one post.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

ectomorphs have a specific macro breakdown ..really????
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

I don't think protein needs to be that high though. 20-25% can easily be over 1 gram per pound of bodyweight as it is.

• Wheelhouse15
    Options

I don't think protein needs to be that high though. 20-25% can easily be over 1 gram per pound of bodyweight as it is.

This is true at 4000 cals per day 25% is 250g of protien and at 20% it's 200g. You should aim your protein targets in grams rather than just a percentage.
  • p_glo1994
    Options
    Yeah I weighed all of my food and then I'm counting the calories. Also in working out with a buddy that's why my workout takes so long (should have said that in first place) I think if I'm just counting the time that I'm really working out it'll be around 1 hour.

What food has a lot of carbs?
    Thanks so far
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options

This is true at 4000 cals per day 25% is 250g of protien and at 20% it's 200g. You should aim your protein targets in grams rather than just a percentage.

This. Dead nuts.
    Options
    p_glo1994 wrote: »
    Yeah I weighed all of my food and then I'm counting the calories. Also in working out with a buddy that's why my workout takes so long (should have said that in first place) I think if I'm just counting the time that I'm really working out it'll be around 1 hour.

Thanks so far
    Personally, I love me my french fries and udon noodles. Just not together.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

Thanks so far

As above, fries, noodles, also a ton of food depending on what type of carbs you want. You can go for slow absorbtion carbs like beans or faster like grains or candy for all out instant energy. Most modern processed foods that are common are full of carbs so the choice is nearly limitless.
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Somewhere on MFP there was a thread about fast food places with the highest calorie meals. Sonic I think had a shake that clocked in around 1,000+ calories.

There you go. Bulk accomplished.

Just be patient. I'm bulking right now (albeit a very lean one) and I eat up to my goal (more if I can stomach it which I usually can - yay feeds!) and weigh every 6 to 8 weeks.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    If it's only a couple of weeks, I'd wait another couple before making any changes. But why not 4000 every day? (Or a lesser amount) there's still recovery going on on rest days.
  • p_glo1994
    Options
    Yeah the shake is a good opportunity to get a ton of calories. The one I make has about 1300 calories.

Well it all over the Internet they say you need about 1000 calories more than you actually need to gain weight faster. On workout days I burn so many calories that I eat about 4000+. The thing is on not workout days I'm just not as hungry in the evening after like 8pm. Since I do my workouts after work at like 830 I'm getting very hungry again so that's how come that I don't eat 4000 every day.
  • Wheelhouse15
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Yeah the shake is a good opportunity to get a ton of calories. The one I make has about 1300 calories.

Well it all over the Internet they say you need about 1000 calories more than you actually need to gain weight faster. On workout days I burn so many calories that I eat about 4000+. The thing is on not workout days I'm just not as hungry in the evening after like 8pm. Since I do my workouts after work at like 830 I'm getting very hungry again so that's how come that I don't eat 4000 every day.

1000 a day is probably way too much unless you want to do a dream bulk. 250-500 over is normal for a clean bulk. Sure, 1000 will ensure you maximize your muscle gains but you are talking 2lbs a week and you are going to gain maybe .25-.5lbs per week if you are lucky in muscle. You can give the 1000 a day surplus a try and see how the fat:muscle ratio seems to be put on you but be prepared to reconsider a lower surplus if you do.