Buttered Coffee

Options
Want to lose weight? Put butter in your coffee!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2345114/Could-coffee-blended-BUTTER-energy-The-unlikely-brew-shrinks-waistlines-improves-cognitive-function.html

Someone is selling this idea. Some people are buying it.

What do you think?

Replies

• nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    I think butter is best on toast in the morning, not in my coffee.
  • GurleyGirl524
    GurleyGirl524 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    yay! A new gimmick!!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    But I don't like coffee. Destined to be fat, I see...
  • Gearjammer71
    Gearjammer71 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I've used heavy whipping cream in my coffee in the past; that's pretty much just unmolested butter. I guess it all depends on what you're trying to do. It's a quick way to pick up an extra hundred calories in the morning.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I've seen both this and coconut oil in coffee referred to as "bullet-proof" coffee and seems to be popular among the paleo crowd especially. Put what you think tastes good in your coffee. If you're eating in a caloric deficit, you will lose weight.
  • MayaSPapaya
    MayaSPapaya Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    That sounds gross...:sick:

Whether you put butter in your coffee or on your toast, your body is going to process the calories it has all the same.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    A bunch of people around MFP who do that, primarily with coconut oil...I think it's frackin' stupid. Personally...I'll stick to using butter and coconut oil and olive oil, etc in my cooking. There are plenty of ways to actually get good, healthy fats without resorting to derp. But I guess if you want to blow a couple hundred calories on a cup of coffee, be my guest. I'd rather have a normal cup of coffee and my scrambled eggs and some toast...with a little butter.
  • jamiesillimandunn
    jamiesillimandunn Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Sounds gross
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,951 Member
    Options
    I put 1 tbsp coconut oil, 1 to 2 scoops of whey protein and 1 tbsp maple syrup in my morning coffee. Whip it up in my magic bullet... it is quite tasty.

I have tried butter in my coffee and I just don't like it...
  • kamyers1289
    kamyers1289 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Mmm, I'll stick with half and half.
  • pluckabee
    pluckabee Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I tried it and actually pretty liked it. It was less than 200 for a cup and it kept me full and energetic for hours.

I don't know why people think it's gross when putting heavy cream into your coffee is a normal thing to do. Butter and heavy cream aren't really that different. It's just putting dairy fat in your coffee. you need to whip it up though, or else you'd end up drinking butter chunks which is obviously not desirable.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Butter and coffee in the morning. Gee, why didn't anyone ever try that before? :huh:
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    It's delicious and an easy way to make a quick breakfast in the AM.
  • sassy_sadie
    sassy_sadie Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Ew.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    I know it all goes to the same place ...... but ...... blerk :sick:
  • latewinterwolf
    Options
    Coffee is rank anyway. and i only ever use butter when im baking haha *kicks chickens* i wish they lay more eggs lazy s of b's lol
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Coffee is rank anyway. and i only ever use butter when im baking haha *kicks chickens* i wish they lay more eggs lazy s of b's lol

I'm not sure what you meant to say here, but this made me LOL irl
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options

Same reaction with me. Wut???
  • GurleyGirl524
    GurleyGirl524 Posts: 578 Member
    Options

I think this person is cooking and kicking chickens for not laying enough eggs
  • roadstermommy
    roadstermommy Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I just tried this for the first time. I put 1 Tbsp of butter in the best coffee I could make (filtered water, new starbucks beans freshly ground). I put it in the blender for about 5 seconds. It was absolutely delicious! I drank the whole mug and immediately went to the bathroom and....you know....for the first time "normally" in quite a while. I'm glad I was home! I'll update later in the day to let you know if I feel more energetic and less hungry