Runners: Avoiding mental fatigue while running long distance

Options
I'm training up for a 10k and I have my first long run today of 8 miles. I'm dreading it. I run on the treadmill, and I cannot even imagine how I'm going to get through it. It's not really the distance....that'll be challenging, but I know that, physically, I can do it. But I don't have any clue how to push through the mental fatigue. I get painfully bored after 20 minutes on the treadmill. Now I'm looking at 8 miles that I'm supposed to be running at only at a 9:40 pace?! That's it. I'm going to go crazy.

For you other runners: How do you push through your mental fatigue?

Replies

• dlangenfeld
    dlangenfeld Posts: 119
    Options
    Good question...can't wait to see what others suggest!
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    bump
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I run outside for anything over 30 minutes.
  • heatherisom
    heatherisom Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am the same way with doing any workout. I get to the 15 minute mark and usually barely make it to 20 before I just quit.
  • Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I would watch the news on TV if I was on a treadmill (or some other show I actually enjoy). Running on the road, I packed my MP3 player .. It has an FM radio and I listened to morning shows.
    Can't run right now so no idea what I would do at this point ... LOL
  • c7eat2live
    c7eat2live Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    well firstly, yes. the treadmill is boring, and sometimes sucks, especially for long runs. I think my tm max is like 4 miles. however, outside, where there is stuff to look at, fresh air, hills and sunshine, I can run and run and run with a max of more like ten miles. If you can, try to get outside. If you are stuck inside, get a good playlist going, keep an eye on some news or sports on TV (if they have TV at you gym that you can easily see) and dont be afraid to break up the pace a little with some incline work or speed intervals...
  • bigdawg025
    bigdawg025 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I don't get bored on the treadmill for some reason. I can't explain why, either. I've never run 8 miles, though... I've also been training for a 10K, and being that the race is only 6.2 miles I don't feel the need to run 8 yet.

Most people use music... I don't. I like music... but I also feel like I need to be able to hear my breathing in order to control it. There are TVs in the gym that I use to get through the minutes. I generally stay on anywhere from 65-80 minutes when I'm on there.
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    I have the exact same problem, so bumping to see what the veteran/marathon runners suggest.

Little side note: I do know that I am less motivated for distance on a treadmill (unless I get really into a tv program), than I am running outside where the scenery is constantly changing.
  • gameovergt
    gameovergt Posts: 502
    Options
    i get into my music, plus I envision I am somewhere else while running. good luck.
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I can't run on a treadmill for more than a few minutes. I always run outdoors.
  • Celo24
    Celo24 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I run outside for anything over 30 minutes.

^^^This. Treadmill running is PAINFULLY boring after about 15-20 minutes for me, especially since I run without music. Being outside keeps me interested and entertained. Besides that, outside is TOTALLY different from treadmill running and you need to get some training in outdoors to be properly prepared for your race. Good luck!!
  • InStabilityKills
    Options
    I am with ya! I can usually do 30 minutes max before I am so bored of it I quit. Running at night for me keeps me on it longer but if I go during the day I am barely at 20minutes..
  • curvygirl512
    curvygirl512 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Just curious. I sounds like it's not something you really enjoy. There are so many things we do because we have to do: go to work, pay the bills, clean the bathroom. Running shouldn't be one of them. Maybe there's something out there you'd enjoy more, and thusly, experience less mental fatigue.
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    For one, I dont run on a tread mill for that very reason... IT SUCKS! haha so to push through the mental fatigue I run outside, I can run soooo much longer because I can look at pretty things and it keeps me interested.

If I need to go shopping soon I plan out all my meals down to the spice I am using... I figure through my head what I have at home and what I need to buy. I will even try to average the price of my groceries...

I watch tv If I run on a tread mill, If you find a really interesting show (I like food shows for some reason) then it keeps my attention oh judge judy is a good one too.

Those are a few of my techniques.

Oh and I would say that you would enjoy outside more because (atleast for me) I can run at a quicker pace outside than I can on a treadmill so I acutally finish the 8 or whatever amount of miles sooner.. Plus its better for training. The tread mill only simulates running outside, but they are totally different and you will find that the same muscles that you use to run on the tread mill wont be all of the same muscles that you use to run outside.
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I'm nowhere near that, but I was reading on another thread - download audio books (the only time you allow yourself to hear the book is when you're running - so make sure it's one you want to come back to! :wink: )

Have a good run!
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I use a treadmill when "I have too" but if you can the first way to conquer boredom is to go outside. Even a windy, rainy day (just not too cold) outside is better than the treadmill as far as boredom goes. Then ...good tunes, a mantra, think of something that motivates you to train while you run....and then there are goofy things...sometimes I try to think of a funny FB post about my run...I never post them...well not typically...or I will do math in my head..ie what percentage of my run have I completed...if 8 blocks is about a mile and I ran 3 blocks blah blah blah
  • kicklikeaGIRL
    kicklikeaGIRL Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Running outdoors helps me to keep "entertained" throughout my run. Scenery, people watching, animals, nature, etc.

During the extreme cold winter months (Dec-Feb) I do run on the treadmill, and I find that watching a show on the TV or putting together a good mix of music helps. I typically order my music so that when I reach the really mentally fatiguing part of my run I can instantly click to music that gets my feet moving to the beat and I sing the song in my head.

Despite the many "distractions" I typically put in front of me whether outdoors or on the treadmill...there are still times when I find myself playing mental games. I create a little chant or think of multiple chants that I can say to myself. Some of my "chants" I take from songs I've heard, others are simple ones I tell myself like "You can do it!". I also don't look at how long until the finish line---I tell myself in babysteps "just a little longer and you're at 3 miles!!!!" and then after that "You're so close to 4 miles!" etc.... I've repeated my babysteps throughout every Half Marathon I've ever run....as well as the many 10 Ks. Good luck finding what works best for you!!! :smile:
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I wish I had an answer for ya. I'm not sure if I could make 8 miles on a treadmill if someone offered me a $100. I am lucky to make 3, I avoid the treadmill as much as possible.
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Just curious. I sounds like it's not something you really enjoy. There are so many things we do because we have to do: go to work, pay the bills, clean the bathroom. Running shouldn't be one of them. Maybe there's something out there you'd enjoy more, and thusly, experience less mental fatigue.

I absolutely love to run. I love the feeling of accomplishment from completing long runs and the personal bests, and the pride I get in pushing through slumps. I just hate being trapped on a treadmill, and it feels like it has been raining for weeks. I wouldn't be racing if I didn't like running :)
  • Shizzman
    Shizzman Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I used to treadmill at my gym cause I could just plug my headphones in and watch music videos while I run, but I've been switching to running outside since the weather has been rather nice (plus it lets me separate running and lifting). Listening to music can help, you can use it as a time to think about things on your mind, or take the time to focus on improving your form.