Starting that FIrst Job

Options
So far I've been a college student with a very open and easily changeable schedule. However I start a new career soon and am looking for ways, and advice, on how to maintain weight loss when I'm working 45 hours a week.

Any advice?

Replies

• jdb3388
    jdb3388 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is 80% what you put in your mouth and only 20% exercise. You wont do anything different, you'll just keep eating healthy and squeezing in exercise as you can. Join a 24 hour gym so you wont have to worry about hours of operation.
  • mwm158
    mwm158 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Bagged lunch! Don't go out to eat everyday, even if your coworkers do. It's hard on the pocketbook and waistline :P Exercise before or after work - or possibly during lunch, if you're able. Come up with a consistent plan.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    The good news is that you'll probably find you have more free time than you did as a college student.

I know, it sounds counterintuitive: How could you possibly have more free time working 45 hours per week than you did taking class for 25 hours a week, you may wonder? But most jobs don't have homework, assignments, exams to study for, or require you to work part time to support yourself. You'll also find your social life will be less demanding once you're not in a college environment anymore.

Agree with packing your own lunch instead of going out to eat. Find a schedule that works for you in terms of workouts -- some people prefer before work, some after work, some lucky people can squeeze a workout in at lunchtime. Go outside for walks at lunch if you can't work out. Try to commute with an active method (walking, cycling) instead of driving to work if at all possible.

See if your workplace will set you up with a sit/stand desk. If not, stand up every hour or so and stretch or walk around. Drink lots of water at your desk. Resist the temptation to snack or to munch on the inevitable free food that appears in most offices.

Good luck!
  • katherine_startrek_fan
    Options
    mwm158 wrote: »
    Bagged lunch! Don't go out to eat everyday, even if your coworkers do. It's hard on the pocketbook and waistline :P Exercise before or after work - or possibly during lunch, if you're able. Come up with a consistent plan.

This! You'll pack on the pounds like none other if you start eating out too much. Also, make sure you drink enough 0 calorie beverages and take breaks to walk to the break room to get more as needed, thus getting exercise and keeping hydrated.

Sign up for workout classes through your community center or YMCA, which will typically cost less than most gyms. Classes will help keep you accountable as you adjust to your new schedule.

The biggest fallout most people have is being exhausted after work and settling on eating and drinking too much as a reward after a hard day. Plan other activities to avoid the temptation.

Props to you for planning ahead on this! I've never been thin, but am amazed at how many pounds I packed on in my first 1-2 years post college.
  • mollyr0425
    Options
    1. Pack your lunch AND pack lots of healthy snacks to munch on throughout the day to keep you away from the vending machine
    2. Make excercise a part of your routine. Whether it's walking to work, getting to the gym at lunch or after work, whatever works for you - making activity a part of your lifestyle will be more important than ever when you sit at a desk all day

Healthy living has a lot to do with forming good habits. If you implement these right away -from the beginning of this new routine - you'll be way ahead of the curve and won't have to struggle to add them in down the road.

Good luck and congrats on the job!