MyFitnessPal and the 5:2 diet

Options
Does anyone know how the MyFitnessPal method fits in with the 5:2 diet?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Very poorly.
  • friedzucchini
    friedzucchini Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    well I am using the app to help count calories on my fast days. When I am highly motivated I try to track to make sure I do not go over 1800 on my "feed days" Some days I really want to eat a lot more so it definately helps to plan out the day. You need to remember not to include exercise to count against your daily cal intake. If you haven't read the book I recommend reading it to help keep motivated!

my probem on the fast diet is I overeat in the evening at my meal and usually hit 600 or a little over 600 cal for my daily total.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    How do you mean 'fits in'? 5:2 is eating 500 calories two days a week and eating 'normally' five days. In that regard, it's totally different than the MFP plan, which has you run a stable deficit all week. But MFP works fine to tally up your 500, and many people don't trust their 'ad libitum' eating days and prefer to count up to what they estimate is their total burn and eat that the 5 days. So a lot of people here do it. There are groups
  • mrsmutt
    mrsmutt Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You have to set your plan to "Maintain" for 5:2 not lose to get your TDEE because otherwise MFP sets you to lose mode of 1200 calories. MFP adjusts calories required when you adjust your weight, after that when you start to go down in weight so does your calorie target for the day (mine is 1820 cals per day -which I eat 5 days a week - @ 74kg). On your 500/600 calorie days (mine are Mon & Thurs) you only eat up to 500/600 cals and MFP will tell you at the end of the day you are not eating enough just smile at the screen and know you are doing fine. Hope this helps petet5292
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I do alternate day fasting. I still use mfp to calculate my calories. I just ignore getting screamed at in red letters on fast days
  • Cheriesaurus
    Cheriesaurus Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I kind wish I could set calorie goals for different days of the week. My weekends I eat maint usually and week days deficit. :s