Why is oatmeal only good with 300+ calories of topping?

Options
2»

Replies

• acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    My go to oatmeal recipe is 1/2 cup of rolled oats cooked in 1 cup of unsweetened chocolate almond milk with a spoonful of peanut butter, a banana, and a tbsp of chia seeds stirred in at the end. It ends up at around 375 calories depending on how big the banana and the spoonful of peanut butter are.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Try the steel cut oatmeal. It is less refined, has more fiber, and thus is more satiating.
  • Loves2Lift
    Loves2Lift Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I eat oatmeal every day but I add 1/2 TBSP of Nutella (it's like my guilty pleasure) to mine or frozen berries. Either add just enough sweetness to it!! And I usually eat the Steel Cut oats....
  • Erikhulse
    Erikhulse Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    My usual breakfast is 1/2 cup steel cut oats. Once cooked, I put it in a bowl and add 1/2 cup frozen blueberries and mix with my spoon. It is absolutely delicious. I sometimes use my homemade almond butter or homemade peanut butter too. One tablespoon is plenty.
  • bingfit221
    bingfit221 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Steel cut are also lower on the glycemic index!
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm boring, since I can eat plain oatmeal prepared with just water, maybe a splash of regular milk and a pinch of stevia. Sometimes I get "fancy" and eat it with some Greek yogurt and honey or with banana. But I'm good w/ 150-250 calorie breakfast (FTR, I eat every 1-1/2 or 2 hours though).
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I eat a flavored oatmeal (Doc McDougall's organic oatmeal is good, I have tried Maple and Brown Sugar or Apple / Cinnamon) and add 1/4 scoop of natural oats on the side. That is 225 calories and tastes good

I also mix oats (1/4 scoop) with 1 container of flavored Greek Yogurt and a 1/2 scoop of protein powder - refrigerate for a few hours. It not only tastes good, it is filling, has a lot of protein, is low fat, and is less than 300 calories.
  • Uba31
    Uba31 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal doesn't do crap for me either. No matter what I put on it or mix in it, I'm always hungry pretty quickly after eating!! I like to make overnight oats. Those will keep me a little more full, think it's the greek yogurt in them. Give those a try. They are super easy and tasty. My favorite using cherry yogurt and mixing in about a cup of frozen cherries. They thaw overnight and give it just the right amount of juice. Yum!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    It's posts like this that make me happy that oatmeal gives me horrid heartburn. I'd be bummed to be hungry 2 hours later.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I really don't get oatmeal. The last thing I want to be doing in the morning is messing around with oatmeal, adding hundreds of calories to something that isn't going to keep me full even during my train ride to work. Seems a lot of MFP people like it though.
  • m0804081
    Options
    I'm hungry 2 hours after eating oatmeal too. Have you tried adding plain canned pumpkin? For me, it bumps up the serving size and overall fiber content without adding too many calories. It looks funny but tastes plain enough that you can flavor however you want.
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    m0804081 wrote: »
    I'm hungry 2 hours after eating oatmeal too. Have you tried adding plain canned pumpkin? For me, it bumps up the serving size and overall fiber content without adding too many calories. It looks funny but tastes plain enough that you can flavor however you want.

Please elaborate on this-- you use pumpkin instead of oats? I like pumpkin!

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Why do you think you need to eat oatmeal? From your previous post, it's sounds like your are trying really hard to like something that is not going to happen for you :)
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I think it needs some salt in it - just a little. Cook it with water and salt and it doesn't seem to need anything sweet ... although I do sometimes add extras like cocoa powder, chopped nuts, etc.
  • kktaylor1960
    Options
    Try 1/2 cup of frozen berries in the water as you bring it to a boil, then add your oatmeal when it's time. The berries give you anti-oxidants, loads of flavor but with minimal caloric intake.
  • Th3Ph03n1x
    Th3Ph03n1x Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm wondering why you're trying so hard to force it? My suggestion is make you some egg cups on the weekend or cook up some eggs the night before to eat a scramble or an egg sandwich...OR a heavenly breakfast burrito!

I add protein powder and 1/2 serving of flax to my oatmeal along with raisins brown sugar and cinnamon. i cook it in water and add a couple tbsp of ilk to it after cooking to help cool it. It sticks with me till 11:00 or 12:00 so 3 to 4 hrs.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    m0804081 wrote: »

I like it with pumpkin, too. I'll add some cinnamon, too, usually. Fair warning - I like the taste of oatmeal anyway. Not the instant stuff. That's nasty. But I do enjoy rolled oats and steel cut oats with about a tsp of brown sugar or a drizzle of maple syrup.

Honestly, though, OP, unless you have some reason you need to eat oatmeal, I'm not sure it's worth the effort you're putting into it.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for other ways to make it good because I like sweet breakfasts, pretty much, lol (and seriously, this morning it was really, really good, satisfying and comforting). Just seems hard to find FILLING sweet breakfasts that don't have hundreds of calories (Greek yogurt doesn't do it for me either). But I guess it's the sugar so it's a hopeless cause.

I used rolled oats and steel cut for a while but honestly haven't noticed a huge difference (maybe it's the brand? I've tried different ones too), so for the convenience I use a lot of instant...

I've done it with pumpkin too, it's pretty good, but then I have an open can of pumpkin that ends up going bad (I like variety in my food). I wasn't a fan of adding protein powder unfortunately.

I like it with PB2 as well, but it's just not very filling either. Might just try that with raspberries next (I bought some).

Overnight oats are actually even worse for me as I have to add toppings too and they have extra calories because of the milk/yogurt (and I can eat a big bowl of them for 600 calories and I'm still hungry after).

Maybe I should start a thread about filling sweet breakfasts instead! I wish I liked artificial sweeteners more, but they just seem to make sweet cravings worse for me.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    For the past two days, they've given me cereal with my hospital breakfast every day. Today they gave me plain oatmeal :(

I would eat Quaker instant packets before going to school everyday as a kid. I'd end up so hungry before getting to school that I would end up buying another breakfast there.