Beating cancer with the help of healthy diet!!!

Options
alankie
alankie Posts: 19
edited January 2015 in Introduce Yourself
I am 36 yrs old and I'm 5 weeks post double mastectomy and reconstruction surgery to fight Breast cancer. I am beginning with making changes in my diet or at least tracking my diet for a new healthy me this year. Looking for support with ppl with the same type of goal.. "Get Healthy!" I have pretty much been an active person but this health issue set me back where I am doing the bare minimum physically until I recover. So needless to say I want to improve ME starting with diet!

Replies

• basithtamil
    Options
    Hi... Best of luck for what you wish to achieve..
    Ur a brave woman
  • LiveFree0505
    Options
    Hey there! I have been where you're at, exactly where you're at. Changing your diet is vital. Cancer LOVES sugar, a cancer cell consumes sugar at a 50% higher rate than a normal cell! Needless to say, cutting down on sugar is a good idea :) Also, making sure you have enough vitamin D is important, vitamin D helps cells stay well differentiated. In other words, keep their identity and not turn into a cancer cell. Cruciferous veggies like broccoli, kale, cauliflower... help your body kill cancer cells. We are what we eat and we need to eat to live. All the best to you as you recover!
  • alankie
    Options
    Thanks so much! I have some reading material on diet changes to keep the Cancer away. I am motivated to track on fitness pal app and make those changes. Can use a support group (especially ppl like U with an abundance of knowledge!) If U wld like to add me
  • juicynsweet
    juicynsweet Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    i love your mind set! that's the exact mind set you need to beat this thing! diet is everything. the healthier you eat, the healthier your body is to help fight this disease. my mom is breast cancer survivor. i stood by her side the whole way. i know how hard it is. but i think it just made her stronger! & i think it will just make you stronger too! take care. :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you. So smart to try a well rounded approach to beating cancer!
  • Grumpy_Marmot
    Options
    I can appreciate the will to fight and I think MFP provides a great tool to track the nutritional side of the house.
  • alankie
    Options
    Hi... Best of luck for what you wish to achieve..
    Ur a brave woman
    i love your mind set! that's the exact mind set you need to beat this thing! diet is everything. the healthier you eat, the healthier your body is to help fight this disease. my mom is breast cancer survivor. i stood by her side the whole way. i know how hard it is. but i think it just made her stronger! & i think it will just make you stronger too! take care. :)

Thank you! I have my strong days and also my feeling defeated days. Today is a "I can do this" Day! I have an extensive family history of BC.... Me being the youngest. I feel diet does have a lot to do with controlling this Cancer I was predestined to have.
  • alankie
    Options
    Good luck to you. So smart to try a well rounded approach to beating cancer!

I am willing to try anything at this point but why not control what I am actually able to at this point in my life. Thank u for the reassuring words :)
  • kerabella222
    kerabella222 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Definitely praying for you. Everyday is an opportunity to choose to fight again. Keep pushing keep going!!!!!! The days you feel like you can't just remember you did it before so you can do it again. God bless you.
  • calendargirl4u
    Options
    Hi hunny I had double mastectomy also. Please add me and I'll link in with you. You can do it. I'm 46 I had mine done at 30... There is a life after breast cancer. Love grainne. Xxxx
  • SunflowerCat74
    SunflowerCat74 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I totally can relate to your situation. I too am a BC survivor. I'm 5 months post dbl mastectomy. It really did a number on me as I was really active. To make matters worse I injured both my knees a year ago and had one scoped. Was scheduled to have the other done when I got diagnosed with breast cancer. I've gained a lot of weight, but expect to lose it now that I'm back at the gym full force and using MFP. I'm putting off my other knee and my exchange surgery until I'm back in shape. Feel free to add me as a friend. I'm here to talk if you want.