Almost 30 and looking to lose 50 pounds

Options
Long story short, I have always struggled with my weight and have tried many different things but nothing has stuck. My struggle is with the temporary indulgences that leave me feeling like I'll always be off the wagon. Specifically, I don't want to worry about what I'm eating (or drinking) while hanging out with friends and family. It's one of those things that I know what I should do but lack the conviction to make the right choice.

Also, as I'm getting closer to 30 I'm noticing that my body is definitely changing in where it holds extra weight. I DON'T LIKE THIS!!! These changes have helped to motivate me, but would definitely like to have support and support others on this journey.

As far as diet I am trying to restrict my processed carb intake. I have cut out most breads, pasta, and rice and have a daily goal of less than 150g of carbs a day. Fitness wise I have signed up for a daily "lunch special" at a gym across the street from my office. They have spinning, TRX, rowing, barre and strength training options.

If you're interested in having an accountability partner, please feel free to friend me.

Replies

• jsue30
    jsue30 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi you took the words right out of my mouth! I would love to be an accountability partner. I too have the same food goals and am currently trying to keep the carbs low. I have joined a gym that caters to women but haven't really met too many people yet. I enjoy doing ZUMBA and Booty Camp classes plus I live close to the beach and love to walk run and hike. I just turned 36 and I feel ya on the weight sticking around where it shouldn't. Let me know if I can help.
  • itzjulz
    itzjulz Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'm 30, and have lost just over 20 lbs since August. I'm hoping to lose another 15 or so (final goal weight TBD), but the final number doesn't matter as much because I'm more concerned with how I feel.

I probably could have lost more weight in the last few months, but, like you, I have moments where I want to indulge with friends, or celebrate a special occasion. That usually means high-calorie meals and a handful of adult beverages. I specifically chose to lose weight slowly so that my lifestyle would be sustainable. Making the right choice in moments that don't have as much emotional value to me (e.g. the donuts in the kitchen at work, the mid-afternoon trip to the vending machine, the fast-food trip when i'm feeling pressed for time, the beer or glass of wine with a regular 'ol weeknight dinner, etc.) frees me to make the conscious choice to indulge when and where I want to.

I've gained and lost weight several times over the last 10 years or so. What's made the difference this time around is that I've fallen in love with strength training and with organized races/events. I care less about the number on the scale and more about the fact that I can bench press 100 lbs or run 3 miles without stopping. My new years' "resolutions" don't even include dropping that extra 15 lbs I'd like to lose -- they include doing one unassisted chinup and completing a sprint triathlon. Find the exercise you enjoy, whatever it is, because that's the one you'll keep doing.
  • CelticValentine
    CelticValentine Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    itzjulz wrote: »
    I'm 30, and have lost just over 20 lbs since August. I'm hoping to lose another 15 or so (final goal weight TBD), but the final number doesn't matter as much because I'm more concerned with how I feel.

I probably could have lost more weight in the last few months, but, like you, I have moments where I want to indulge with friends, or celebrate a special occasion. That usually means high-calorie meals and a handful of adult beverages. I specifically chose to lose weight slowly so that my lifestyle would be sustainable. Making the right choice in moments that don't have as much emotional value to me (e.g. the donuts in the kitchen at work, the mid-afternoon trip to the vending machine, the fast-food trip when i'm feeling pressed for time, the beer or glass of wine with a regular 'ol weeknight dinner, etc.) frees me to make the conscious choice to indulge when and where I want to.

I've gained and lost weight several times over the last 10 years or so. What's made the difference this time around is that I've fallen in love with strength training and with organized races/events. I care less about the number on the scale and more about the fact that I can bench press 100 lbs or run 3 miles without stopping. My new years' "resolutions" don't even include dropping that extra 15 lbs I'd like to lose -- they include doing one unassisted chinup and completing a sprint triathlon. Find the exercise you enjoy, whatever it is, because that's the one you'll keep doing.

Thanks for your post I really enjoyed reading it. I always feel like I'm alone on this journey even though I know that is not the case. One of my best friends is getting married in the next couple of months and I find myself stressing about my weight since it's my first time being a bridesmaid. For me, that's one of the only scenarios that actually has me super focused with how I look in the mirror. I don't think anyone wants to be the heaviest one standing in front of the whole church. Anyways... I would love to friend you and be an accountability partner if you would like ;)