Help! I am a sugar AND carb-aholic!!

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Maridar wrote: »
    I feel terrible, same addiction. I had a shortbread cookie and tootsie rolls for breakfast, coffee with splenda... overdid suger by 18 grams or points in the Food count, feeling very guilty...:( Walked for 45 min and have abour 360 cal left to eat but that sugar I think just cancels everything...

rehab is an option....
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I feel terrible, same addiction. I had a shortbread cookie and tootsie rolls for breakfast, coffee with splenda... overdid suger by 18 grams or points in the Food count, feeling very guilty...:( Walked for 45 min and have abour 360 cal left to eat but that sugar I think just cancels everything...

So you had a cookie, some tootsie rolls and coffee and only 360 calories left for the day?? I sure hope I read that wrong, if not YOU NEED TO EAT MORE!!!
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options

It doesn't. Just focus on the calories for now. Don't worry about the sugar. If you have trouble sticking to your calories due to hunger then I suggest you start to build in more healthy and balanced foods into your diet.
  • Luv2Munch
    Luv2Munch Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi, as a suggestion for sweets try eating dried apricots instead of sugar. For carbs the best solution is to decrease slowly so if you are eating white bread, rice etc switch to brown, then whatever portions you are eating of the carbs regularly try decreasing by a quarter/half. in the case of rice you could eat less by adding low glycemic veggies etc. for the chocolate you can still eat it but try and buy it without added sugar [ie dark chocolate/chocolate for diabetics]etc. you might also want to try meeting with a dietitician or nutritionist who could also offer you advice. Whatever you do STAY STRONG and move forward one step at a time. Lasty if you do falter don't beat yourself up, as long as you try you have not failed. Good luck!
  • mwm158
    mwm158 Posts: 30 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Food addiction is a real thing...

http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/mental-health-food-addiction

It feels good to eat sugar, fats, and salt because your brain will release dopamine in response to it...just like with cocaine and heroin.

I try to stay away from foods that will trigger a high response by the brain.
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    Options

elphie754 wrote: »

No you are not. I really wish people would stop misusing the word addiction.

Admitting to an addiction does not by default displace accountability - just saying. I don't understand why people attack semantics and then give no useful insight to the original question. The OP is obviously trying to improve themselves which is a show of accountability. Instead of focusing on the fact that they used the word addiction why not focus on posting meaningful tips as they requested.
  • Serah87
    edited January 2015
    Options
    mwm158 wrote: »

It feels good to eat sugar, fats, and salt because your brain will release dopamine in response to it...just like with cocaine and heroine.

No it's not!!
  • ndj1979
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Luv2Munch wrote: »
    Hi, as a suggestion for sweets try eating dried apricots instead of sugar. For carbs the best solution is to decrease slowly so if you are eating white bread, rice etc switch to brown, then whatever portions you are eating of the carbs regularly try decreasing by a quarter/half. in the case of rice you could eat less by adding low glycemic veggies etc. for the chocolate you can still eat it but try and buy it without added sugar [ie dark chocolate/chocolate for diabetics]etc. you might also want to try meeting with a dietitician or nutritionist who could also offer you advice. Whatever you do STAY STRONG and move forward one step at a time. Lasty if you do falter don't beat yourself up, as long as you try you have not failed. Good luck!
    So you're suggesting switching sugar with sugar. Got it. Everyone switch from white rice to brown rice.

so I can swap out my crack with cocaine and it is OK?????
  • ndj1979
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

No you are not. I really wish people would stop misusing the word addiction.

Admitting to an addiction does not by default displace accountability - just saying. I don't understand why people attack semantics and then give no useful insight to the original question. The OP is obviously trying to improve themselves which is a show of accountability. Instead of focusing on the fact that they used the word addiction why not focus on posting meaningful tips as they requested.

then OP should join a 12 step program if she is truly addicted to sugar...
  • mwm158
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    No it's not!!

Pretty sure I trust Yale and the scientists doing the studies over your meaningless reply.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    No it's not!!

Pretty sure I trust Yale and the scientists doing the studies over your meaningless reply.

pretty sure that WebMD is not a peer reviewed site...
  • Serah87
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    No it's not!!

Yep.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    All these damn addicts... we better start having Carb/Sugar-aholic meetings
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

It feels good to eat sugar, fats, and salt because your brain will release dopamine in response to it...just like with cocaine and heroine.

No it's not!!

While food addiction is an extremely controversial topic… In the medical community, food addiction is a real disorder.
  • Serah87
    Options
    All these damn addicts... we better start having Carb/Sugar-aholic meetings

LOL.....true.
  • mwm158
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    No it's not!!

No, but it displays its sources, and many of those are peer reviewed. There are several references to Yale papers, along with others.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    The word addiction is thrown around on here as common place, just like starvation mode, and bullies.
  • mwm158
    Options
    http://www.yaleruddcenter.org/what_we_do.aspx?id=263 seems to be a decent resource if you actually care about the science, and not the BS spewed by random internet people.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    I know how bad it is but I am totally addicted to sugar and sweets! I try to only have one indulgence a day (3-6 squares of chocolate, etc) but whenever I have cravings that's the first place I go and the same with carbs. I literally gag by the end of my salads if I don't have a carb to go with it.... :(
    Has anyone had success cutting sugar and/or bad carbs from their life and what tips do you have?

Carbs and sugar are important,your body body runs on glucose.Just substitute chocolate,with non-dairy dark chocolate ,white sugar with brown or coconat sugar and eat more fruit and veggies.Restricting on fruit is restricting on life.Just cut the nasty dairy and meat from your diet and you are good to go and try to restrict gluten if you can (eat more brown rice and whole wheat pasta).Belive me I am vegan for 3 months and I have never felt more positive and happy in my life ! :)
    Wait, WHAT?! Substitute brown sugar for white sugar? Please, explain to me how this is more beneficial.