Does anyone else plan in advance?

Options
My husband and I are both using MFP to lose weight and get healthy, and we've gotten in the habit of planning everything out and logging things the night before we're planning to eat them. For example, we've both already logged breakfast, lunch, and dinner for tomorrow. Does anyone else do this?

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Hell, yeah.
  • DsAdvocate
    DsAdvocate Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • osteological
    osteological Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I do, but I'll often leave 200-300 calories of 'flex' left in my day in case I end up eating cookies a co-worker brings into work or something in the middle of the day, so I don't go home and end up not having enough 'room' for the dinner I planned.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I'm not logging at the moment but prelogging is great. It gives me an idea of how many extra carbs I have to play with while getting in all of my protein and fats
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Yep, though I have one "meal" reserved as planned snacks, and that gets adjusted down if for instance cuts of meat turn out larger than planned, or if I encounter unplanned deliciousness, or it gets adjusted up because why would I want to leave calories on the table LOL.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Yep, me too :smile:
  • martasmith54584
    Options
    Yes. Just like prepping food. Easier to prepare day before to keep on track. Made oatmeal and boiled eggs for next few days!
  • jamie042384
    Options
    I do this and find that I'm more likely to stay on track if its planned and logged!
  • jreneemeows
    jreneemeows Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    It didn't even occur to me to pre-log meals. I definitely pre-log recipes that I intend to make for that week since it's the recipes that make the calorie logging time consuming.

I always make my lunch and dinners for the week on Sunday nights. I package everything in mason jars or tupperwear, and stick the first couple of meals in lunch bags so it's ready to go in the morning.

I find that my biggest challenge is sneaking unplanned snacks when I'm at home on the weekends. Maybe pre-logging the meals will help since it locks me into my plan. I also like the idea of having 200-300 'flex' calories for the unexpected.
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Yes, I pre-log. Helps me stay on track. Also if I know one meal is going to be high-fat, I can plan accordingly.
  • llynn1976
    llynn1976 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Yes I also do that
  • emmarrr23
    emmarrr23 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    This is the only way I can stay on track. I know that if I eat what I said I was going to eat, I'll be under my calories and I'll be losing weight! It really keeps me motivated :)
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    i just started doing that and i love it. it is so much easier for me b/c i'm already "stuck" to eating what i have logged. so far, i haven't had to make any alterations.
  • djscavone
    djscavone Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I log after the fact. I plan ahead but not in MFP. I am a big fan of Blue Apron meals. Does all the shopping for me, variety of foods I would never get on my own, My wife and I still get to prep and cook. We also use the leftovers for lunch or if my daughter decides to eat at home.
  • Candylou11
    Candylou11 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I do, at least the breakfast and lunch as it helps be to stay on track and helps with the logging, plus I usually prepare my lunch the night before. I don't always know what I am having for dinner so.....I can always adjust it accordingly.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I usually do this as well. Although I do have to change my evening meal around once in a while to include more food on heavy workout days like today.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I do tend to plan meals, yes. IF I make a bento or something, I'll prelog it because I'll never remember all the tiny little weights of the different little portions.
  • LindyMopLoo
    LindyMopLoo Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Yes, it really helps to plan. Sometimes I find I need to exercise a little longer so I can eat what's planned for a meal; sometimes I need to adjust the menu a little. It's MUCH better than ending up disappointed at the end of the day! Staying on track and achieving goals keeps me motivated, disappointment kills my motivation faster than anything else.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Yes, I plan around what I am going to do, and what perishable items are in my fridge, but I also like to eat what I want when the time comes, and plans can suddenly change, so I'm flexible.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    yupp- as I make dinner I am planning my next day