how are people getting their fiber in?

Options
Robbnva
Robbnva Posts: 590 Member
edited January 2015 in Food and Nutrition
Ever since I started, I've lost lots of weight but can't go regularly and have issues at times. What ate people doing to stay regular?

Replies

• WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Apples, oatmeal, flax seed, almonds, dark chocolate, multigrain bread, whole wheat pasta. Those are my favorites anyway. :)
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Fruit, veggies, Ezekiel bread, beans
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Fruits and veggies. I also supplement with this: http://www.trufiber.net/default.aspx The bonus is it's a prebiotic as well.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Veggies, quest bars, whole grain products (low carb tortillas, whole wheat pasta etc).
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    whole lots of veggies and bran
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I get this stuff from my health food store called fibre cleanse. It's brilliant and works 100% everytime. It contains:

Psyllium husk
    Carob powder
    Linseed meal
    Oat meal
    Slippery elm bark powder

Also magnesium tablets before bed work great. Mag oxide specifically works for me
  • rcottonrph1
    Options
    Fruits, veg, grains, beans. I also put fiber supplements into my shakes/smoothies. I regularly double my daily recommended fiber intake.
  • Pupslice
    Pupslice Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Aside from veggies, beans, and legumes, I like multi-grain breads (like 45 Calories And Deliteful by Sara Lee), Quest bars, and Fiber One brownies and bars (altho be careful with those, they will give you insane gas). Also drinking lots of water helps as well, I find.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Fruits and veggies, sometimes beans or a Quest bar. I'm usually over without trying, even without the latter items.
  • Robbnva
    Robbnva Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I eat fruit and veggies. Just started oatmeal with higher fiber and take (if I remember to)fiber gummies. Still doesn't help
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Along with fiber, you need to make sure you're getting enough fat.
  • Th3Ph03n1x
    Th3Ph03n1x Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal with flax added, whole wheat bread, fruits and veggies and a protein bar that also has 5 grams of fiber.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Yes to fat! Everyone always concentrates on just fibre, adding fat can also help. Give coconut oil a try, just count the calories
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Along with fiber, you need to make sure you're getting enough fat.

^^This. We all have our own "balance" that works for us. If I'm not hydrated enough (I need my 8 glasses of water on top of my milk/coffee/tea intake), or if I'm under 40g fat daily, even with 30-40g fiber and plenty of fluids, I'm going to have a "bad day".
  • Th3Ph03n1x
    Th3Ph03n1x Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Yes to fat! Everyone always concentrates on just fibre, forgetting fat can also help. Give coconut oil a try, just count the calories

I have a gift for getting my fats in. really it bounces between protein and fiber I have to work at.
  • fyrfytrca
    fyrfytrca Posts: 10
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I'm following a paleo lifestyle. Fiber comes with it. Plenty of fruit (Banana, Apple Orange etc) Veggies (a million squash varieties, lettuce, kale, arugula etc) nuts. It's all good stuff
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Mostly through fruits and veg, sometimes with Benefiber in water or fiber bars/snacks, but usually only if I feel like I really need to poop.
  • RebelDiamond
    RebelDiamond Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Looking at my MFP diary my fiber comes from ground flax seeds, salads, cinnamon and quest bars.

I had a problem with regularity a year or so ago, my doctor suggested I take a laxative/stool softener combo every night for a few weeks with lots of water.

Result = haven't had a problem since. It helped put my bowel on a schedule and I haven't needed anything other than fiber, fat and water since!
  • Illini_Jim
    Illini_Jim Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Bran Buds mixed in yogurt
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I get my fiber in from plenty of whole grains, fruits, and some vegetables.