how are people getting their fiber in?

Options

Replies

• G8rRay
    G8rRay Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I have trouble eating enough fiber; but, I found that having a kefir smoothie (~16 oz) [Liteway or others] for breakfast followed by 16 oz of water promotes regularity. However, high protein diets, high calcium consumption (cheese, milk, etc.), high quantities of iron, and insufficient hydration can stall regularity (or worse), too.
  • liftingandlipstick
    liftingandlipstick Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're drinking plenty of water. Increasing your fiber intake without being sufficiently hydrated can have the opposite of the effect you're going for :(
  • Robbnva
    Robbnva Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're drinking plenty of water. Increasing your fiber intake without being sufficiently hydrated can have the opposite of the effect you're going for :(

I drink at least a gallon a day, water is not the problem
  • sonnyOclock
    Options
    drink your water WITH meals, I find this helpful.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Along with fiber, you need to make sure you're getting enough fat.

Yes. Fibre + fat (+ coffee :blush: )

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    smoothies, big salads, lots of fruits and vegetables.

And a magnesium supplement.
  • stillnot2late
    stillnot2late Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I understand, eating things with fiber doesn't help me either, until I added fiber one. My dinner is fiber one bars. I do small amount of psyllium powder during the day and I'm set! Made that change a year ago. Man my dinner is delicious
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    I eat oatmeal with flax every morning
  • fatblatta
    fatblatta Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    If these things don't do it for you, try Equate bulk fiber at Walmart. It's like 9 bucks for 100 servings. A table spoon or two at night in water and you'll be producing like a champ. Equate Fiber Original Texture Fiber Powder = 100% natural psyllium fiber. I use a shaker cup to mix it. One of the best things I ever found our about.
  • KatieRG92
    Options
    Silver Hills bread. Fruit. Veggies. Beans. I need to cut back on my fibre hahaha.
  • AlicesNirvanaHealthWellness
    AlicesNirvanaHealthWellness Posts: 111 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I had a bit of a problem as well. You can't just look at fiber grams in your food, as insoluble and soluble fiber do different things, I looked closely at the insoluble fiber and found raspberries a good source, but also Kashi Go Lean has 10 grams of insoluble fiber which is a good healthy way to keep the pipes clean. I didn't want to take a supplement if I didn't have to do so. You might want to try it.
  • georgemang82
    georgemang82 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    A lot of people have said this but I take two tablespoons of Flaxseed oil and one tablespoon of Apple Cider Vinegar every day, that keeps me feeling good!!! I tried metamucil but the taste/texture was too full on!
  • ccesq73
    ccesq73 Posts: 21
    Options
    Fiber Gourmet pasta - 20g per serving.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Water - 8 glasses a day has me really regular. Never had this before even with adequate fiber. If you don't have enough water, the fiber doesn't help. At least it doesn't help me.

Raspberries, high fiber cereal, whole grain breads, beans, veggies
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Apples
    Strawberries
    Blueberries
    Raspberries
    Beans
    Asparagus
    Green beans
    Mushrooms
    Broccoli
    Spinach
    Lettuce
    Cucumber
    Sweet potatoes
    White potatoes
    Almonds
    Fiber One bars
    PB2
    Oatmeal
    Flaxseed
  • rivka_m
    rivka_m Posts: 1,007 Member
    Options
    The magic trifecta for me for avoiding issues is - fiber, water and oil. Not drinking enough or not eating enough fat can cause me problems as well.

Specifically for the fiber I prefer lentils and try to have at least one serving a day. I cook some up, flavoring with cumin, garlic powder and maybe a bit of chili powder, and add a tsp of olive or canola oil per serving. Use it on a burrito, taco, or eat on it's own.
  • Spedangie
    Spedangie Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I eat at least 2 raw fruits, frequently an apple and orange daily. I also eat 4-5 raw broccoli florets, a handful of baby carrots, celery sticks and cherry tomatoes almost every day. I also eat other vegetables depending on my mood and plans for supper, and eat canned light fruits as well. I also like pecans and almonds and sunflower seeds, but have to be careful, I can SO easily overdo those three goodies.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Breakfast cereal is an easy and awesome way to Jack the fiber up!

Fruit, veggies, whole grain breads/pasta and the occasional Fiber One bar help me, too.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal, beans, fruits and vegetables.
  • mscheftg
    mscheftg Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    The best, healthiest option is fruits and veggies. My guess might be that you are eating a lot of protein and need more fruits and veggies.