how are people getting their fiber in?

Options
13»

Replies

• stephanienjones1
    stephanienjones1 Posts: 1
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Dave's Killer Bread 21 Whole Grains and Seeds. It has 5g of fiber per slice. So if you combine that bread for a sandwich at lunch, plus oatmeal for breakfast, that should be close to 20g of fiber right there. The rest will come from fruits and vegetables for me. Also, make sure you're drinking enough water. Dehydration can lead to irregularity.
  • Krau
    Krau Posts: 20
    Options
    Chia seeds were my biggest help with digestion before adding probiotics. I would put chia seeds in my water bottle or eat them in yogurt or oatmeal. You can add them to smoothies or soups or sauces as well. Eventually chia seeds weren't enough for me and I continued to have slow digestion so the addition of a good probiotic was the final thing that helped and continues to help. You need to look for one that has multiple strains of bacteria in it. Mine has 3 strains and contains 15 billion bacteria. I also drink Kombucha regularly which is also probiotic. Fermented foods are great for your gut!
  • Krau
    Krau Posts: 20
    Options
    Probiotics need refrigeration as well. I buy mine from the pharmacy counter at my local hyvee. You don't need a prescription, but they keep them back there to be in the refrigerator.
  • kirstenleanne9
    kirstenleanne9 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I would recommend high fiber substitutes whenever possible and one magnesium supplement before bed. As always, try to shoot for 8 glasses of 8oz of water daily. If there is no results in about 2 weeks, then maybe take 1 tsp Miralax daily and increase as needed.
  • KGill67
    KGill67 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal (not instant), sprouted grain breads (i.e. Silver Hills Bakery), fruit with skin on, beans. Make sure you're drinking extra water along with the fiber; they work together to move things along.
  • emilyrigh
    emilyrigh Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Protein bars that contain fibre, special k protein drink mix with fibre, fruits and veggies, Quaker weight control oatmeal.
  • LAMCDylan
    LAMCDylan Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    Hemp protein powder, beans, steel cut oats, fruits, veggies, lentils
  • reedkaus
    reedkaus Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Psyllium husk, fruits (bananas and apples mostly), vegetables (mostly broccoli, cauliflower, or asparagus; all in those convenient microwavable "steam" bags!), and quest bars.
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    If prunes and bran don't do it, then the fiber gods hath forsaken thee. :|
  • strawberrycantaloupe
    Options
    Fruits, veggies, legumes, and so on and so on.
  • MissyMissy18
    MissyMissy18 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    if you're upping your fiber, you have to be drinking a lot of water as well! Fiber bulks, water lubricates :)
    I regularly go over 8 glasses a day (10 - 15).
  • Robbnva
    Robbnva Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    RhineDHP wrote: »
    If prunes and bran don't do it, then the fiber gods hath forsaken thee. :|

Love prunes, used to eat them like candy. Maybe I try to figure that into my day.

Wonder if its the Greek yogurt that's causing a problem?
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Along with fiber, you need to make sure you're getting enough fat.

Good reminder! and I see Magnesium was mentioned above too.

It looks like I'm doing about the same as many above, higher fiber fruits, veggies, Ezekiel Bread (sprouted breads) has about 5-6grams of fiber in each slice. Love my black beans, flax seed, oatmeal, assorted nuts, all I can think of at the moment, but there's more.

For women the suggested daily amount of fiber per day is 40mg. Each time I change my MFP %'s I alter my fiber back up to 40mg.

Not sure if this has been brought up yet but if fiber is added too quickly into your diet it can have the reverse effect and can cause constipation. So bumping it up slowly is a better way...far more comfortable for sure. lol

Good luck :)
  • Robbnva
    Options
    reedkaus wrote: »
    Psyllium husk, fruits (bananas and apples mostly), vegetables (mostly broccoli, cauliflower, or asparagus; all in those convenient microwavable "steam" bags!), and quest bars.

Bananas, apples, broccoli have been staples in my daily routine.

You know a McDonald's meal always got me moving, wish I could get that action without eating that crap lol
  • Robbnva
    Options
    And.just when I thought I heard everything, a study says if you cut out fiber your constipation should improve lol -http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3435786/
  • DonT58
    DonT58 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I go for 35 grams on my 1450 calorie limit. Legumes, black berries, raspberries are the big ones. Sprouts Seedsational bread and a couple of Dave Killer varieties are good sources too. Uncle Sams cereal is kind of crazy too. Lots of other stuff contributes, popcorn, dark chocolate, cocoa, saurkraut, raw veggies, shredded wheat, etc. I'm doing 40 (CARB), 35, 35 thing and have been losing 2.6 pounds a week for the last almost 20 weeks. I actually enjoy eating more now than when I was stuffing myself full of sugary, salty fats.

• aadila786
    Options
    ccesq73 wrote: »
    Fiber Gourmet pasta - 20g per serving.

Milled organic Flaxseed every morning fiber rich food holland & barret :)
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    Bananas (when I eat them), Quest/Atkins bars treats, Amy's Organic burritos, vegetables, & nuts.
  • narbota
    narbota Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Chia seeds! :smiley:
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I just am not allowed enough calories (to lose weight on limited exercise) to get the fiber I need on a regular basis, without tons of exercise that I don't have time for. Veggies don't help me in regards to having enough fiber, and I can't eat too many fruits due to calories and sugar. Whole grains are restricted as are potatoes. Flax seed and such, too much fat and calories. My only option is to fit in psyllium. I generally just bite the bullet and drink the orange flavored one as needed. I saute my kale with a bit of coconut oil (plus some vitamins need fat to be absorbed by the body), or add a bare half teaspoon of coconut oil to a morning smoothie. I have a daily packet of oatmeal in a pumpkin smoothie, and since I also have to restrict meats, my lunch protein has become beans/legumes.

The best results come from daily use of homemade kefir, I have 1 cup in my morning smoothie. Though I started with storebought plain lifeway, I now make my own with reduced fat organic milk. BEST thing I've ever done, I'm digesting everything better (except beans, beans are still not my friends), and its cheaper than storebought.

That and fitting in a minimum 4 miles cycling 2-3 times a week. Getting my blood moving helps keep other things moving. I walk regularly in my day job but it doesn't get my blood pumping.