need help getting a flatter stomach

Options
jardimgirl
jardimgirl Posts: 522 Member
edited January 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
hi everyone, ive been on this journey for a while and tried the whole lifting thing and after 2 months i didn't continue because i felt i did not enjoy it, at all. ive done that with a strict calorie limit and was pretty happy but the pudge wasnt budging, so i gave up, gained 10 pounds and here i am again. iv e counted calories before for about a year and lost 30 pounds and since ive stopped i gained. i want to have a flat stomach and i know i need to lose fat overall, but i dont know if even then ill achieve a toned stomach. anyone recommend any type of exercise or will heavy lifting do it, even though i hate doing it, or are there other ways? is it possible to achieve with just a diet?

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Look up threads at the stickies ...so you want a nice stomach has it pretty much covered
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    We've gone round and round. You've bumped all the stomach fat threads posted in the last 12 months. The answer isn't going to change. You can't target belly fat. Be patient and stick to it.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    We've gone round and round. You've bumped all the stomach fat threads posted in the last 12 months. The answer isn't going to change. You can't target belly fat. Be patient and stick to it.

Her thread ^^^^

It's the business!
  • usmcmp
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    usmcmp wrote: »

Her thread ^^^^

It's the business!

The OP and I have had many extensive private messages on this subject. She knows what to do. I've even done the leg work for her calorie set up and given her other workout options that aren't just strength training. I really don't think there is much else that can be done for her.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Ahhh, noted. You are far more patient than I am ...I enjoy reading your posts
  • jardimgirl
    jardimgirl Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    thanks usmcmp, i found strength training not as enjoyable, and i know youve told me before that i can achieve one with patience, but over the past months ive heard from people and some pros that no matter what if ive never had a flat stomch before ill never get one no matter how hard i try. i ask the same thing because i like hearing how people achieve theirs if not heavy lifting.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    I didn't have a flat stomach until I was 28 and that was after having two babies while obese. Those "pros" are full of crap.

I gave you other options for resistance training that were not heavy lifting. If you've always had a bit of a belly you are going to want to preserve your lean mass and that's the entire point of us telling you to use and challenge your muscles.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Before I started heavy lifting, I did running, 30 Day Shred, walking with incline, and weight machines. Basically, I did 30 Day Shred in the morning before work at least 3x/wk the other days were yoga or another cardio dvd, 2 shorter treadmill runs in the evening after work and 1 longer run on the weekend, walking or jogging with incline for 10 min mid-morning or lunch time, and one or 2 days would be weight machines after work with some treadmill walking mixed in. I lost about 20lb between Feb and May of 2013 and my stomach leaned out and flattened. Before that, my stomach was fat and flabby. I picked up power lifting in the fall of 2013. Find something you like, that will be the best exercise for you.
  • 20Grit
    20Grit Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Beeblebeeblebeeblbeeblebeeble
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    If usmcmp set up my calories and routine for me, I'd be thanking her and working my butt off. I really don't know what answer you're expecting to find here.
  • nikitad123
    nikitad123 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    If usmcmp set up my calories and routine for me, I'd be thanking her and working my butt off. I really don't know what answer you're expecting to find here.

Couldn't agree with you more!
  • usmcmp
    Options
    I have a serious question: Are you looking for someone to tell you that it is impossible or that there is an easier way?

It is possible to improve how your stomach looks. If you have excess skin it may not look "perfect" but that's something surgery could fix. It is not impossible. It requires two things: low body fat and adequate lean body mass. Because of these two requirements it is not easy, but it is still possible. If it was easy then everyone would have a flat stomach and nobody would be obese.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I followed usmcmp's advice and I have a flat stomach....no *kitten*. You gotta put the work in and do what it takes.

The analogy of losing weight like drying out a sponge is the one thing that has stuck with me more than anything.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    psych101 wrote: »
    I followed usmcmp's advice and I have a flat stomach....no *kitten*. You gotta put the work in and do what it takes.

The analogy of losing weight like drying out a sponge is the one thing that has stuck with me more than anything.

dayum. your stomach looks amazing.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    OP sounds familiar….
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    OP - flat stomach = hard work + calorie deficit..

that is all ..

you can post and ask the same question five million times but the answer will always be the same…
  • hmcbride68
    hmcbride68 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    jardimgirl wrote: »
    ive heard from people and some pros that no matter what if ive never had a flat stomch before ill never get one no matter how hard i try

Tell those pros to tell that to Jennifer Nicole Lee

z5knxafd51mq.jpg

• psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    psych101 wrote: »

dayum. your stomach looks amazing.

nawww *blush* thanks xx
  • LotusAsh
    LotusAsh Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    thanks usmcmp, i found strength training not as enjoyable, and i know youve told me before that i can achieve one with patience, but over the past months ive heard from people and some pros that no matter what if ive never had a flat stomch before ill never get one no matter how hard i try. i ask the same thing because i like hearing how people achieve theirs if not heavy lifting.

Please tell me the names of said pros
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    ive heard from people and some pros that no matter what if ive never had a flat stomch before ill never get one no matter how hard i try.

You heard wrong, then, didn't you?

Lose fat. That's it.

Keep losing fat and you'll get what you're looking for. Keep looking for excuses and you'll be right where you are now.