Inactivity "kills more than obesity"

Options
12 year study finds that a lack of exercise could be killing twice as many people as obesity. Even 20 minutes of brisk walking daily has substantial benefits regardless of weight.

http://bbc.com/news/health-30812439

Replies

• Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Interesting. Thanks for sharing.
  • get_fit2009
    get_fit2009 Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Yep. 30 is the most beneficial amount. That's only 15 minutes out from where you start, then you can turn around and go back. Totally doable!
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    A living creature dying because it sits around on its a@@ all day doing nothing? Who would have thought...
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Very interesting. I saw something like this posted awhile back but I could not find it again. Overweight people with good health markers because they were active.
  • nineateseven
    nineateseven Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    There have been other studies showing that inactivity has the potential to offset the benefits of exercise. For example: If someone goes for a 3 mile run every morning (30 minutes) but then sits at a desk for 8 hours and then flops on the couch for 4 hours when they get home, those hours of inactivity add up. Some activity is better than none, but regular movement is even better.
  • madrose0715
    madrose0715 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    There have been other studies showing that inactivity has the potential to offset the benefits of exercise. For example: If someone goes for a 3 mile run every morning (30 minutes) but then sits at a desk for 8 hours and then flops on the couch for 4 hours when they get home, those hours of inactivity add up. Some activity is better than none, but regular movement is even better.

? lol - what? Yes, those hours of inactivity add up but so do those 30 minute runs. Would love to see these studies... Then you say, 'some activity is better than none' which contradicts the notion you started out with in your response...lol
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    A living creature dying because it sits around on its a@@ all day doing nothing? Who would have thought...
    People who sit around and do nothing all day, everyday are already dead.
  • nineateseven
    Options

? lol - what? Yes, those hours of inactivity add up but so do those 30 minute runs. Would love to see these studies... Then you say, 'some activity is better than none' which contradicts the notion you started out with in your response...lol

http://m.runnersworld.com/health/sitting-is-the-new-smoking-even-for-runners?page=single
  • Codefox
    Codefox Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Yep. I'm a triathlete and often train 10 hours a week. But I recently purchased a Vivofit because of those studies. I wanted something that would remind me to move around once an hour. I don't want my fitness to go to waste because of my desk job.
  • nineateseven
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Codefox wrote: »
    Yep. I'm a triathlete and often train 10 hours a week. But I recently purchased a Vivofit because of those studies. I wanted something that would remind me to move around once an hour. I don't want my fitness to go to waste because of my desk job.

It's why I got my Vivosmart. Because of the "Move!" alerts, I've gotten so accustomed to moving frequently that I habitually pace the floor most of the day. And I feel more in shape than I did when I was training for a half marathon.

One of the biggest surprises with step-tracking was seeing exactly what the inactivity studies were saying: On a day I had a dedicated workout, I wasn't logging more total step than a rest day. Sometimes, I moved less. Active couch potato. That was a problem. Now, I set step-based goals that account for the steps-per-mile in a given workout and add those steps to a baseline 10,000 step goal. So, on a 5 mile day, I really am moving 5 more miles than I would on a rest day.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Movement and activity is so important. Not just the exercise we do in the gym (which is important), but being mobile, active, and moving through out the day. I walk at least an hour on most days (just to get around and do stuff). I dance. I lift weights. And I move regularly for play and just keeping going and limber. It's fun. I love the way my body feels when I am all warmed up to start dancing, and I can do so much more than when I started. Really shows what a difference movement makes. Use it or lose it.