Kirstie Alley inspiring story

Options
There are some stories on the web right now reporting that Kirstie lost 50 lbs in 2014 using Jenny Craig. That sort of weight loss is great, but in line with the rate of losing 1-2 lbs most weeks. She looks really good and sounds really happy with her life, exercising regularly on her bike and eating sensibly. I'm inspired! I'm a yo-yo dieter myself. I appreciate that she didn't decide that she is getting too old to even try to get into shape again.

Replies

• SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I always feel bad for Kristie Alley due to her weight being such a big focus in the media. It's pretty much the only reason you hear her name anymore. I hope for her sake (health & image) that she is successful at keeping it off this time.

**I'm sorry if this post comes across as mean or snarky. That's not my intention. I really do feel bad for her.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I'm very cynical when it comes to her and Valerie Bertinelli and their ilk. It's like being on Jenny Craig (or other celebrity-endorsed programs) has taught them nothing about how to actually eat and live as a slimmer person, but I guess it pays well. They're professional weight-losers at this point. I'm not inspired at all.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time caring about celebrity weight loss. I mean, if I had access to personal trainers, cooks, nannies and other care staff, I'd be in fantastic shape too. Not to mention, it's sort of your job to look good, especially as an actress, where if you're too heavy (or even if you're a normal weight) you are likely to lose out on work.

So she lost weight eating prepared food. Good for her. It's too bad she's not learning how to manage her obviously horrible relationship with food, as this is the umpteenth time she's lost weight now.
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I feel like I have a hard time caring about her weight loss because it seems like every other year or so you hear about her losing 50lbs or whatever.

Not that it isn't important to never give up, and she certainly never has. And she's keeping herself in the spotlight because of it. BUT at what point do we decide the yo-yo lifestyle isn't one she should be selling to people?

Again, I'm not saying someone should give up because they yo-yo. I'm saying that I have a hard time accepting her as knowledgable about weight loss and health, and I don't want to buy whatever she's endorsing.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I don't find her weight loss inspiring, because she just gains it all again. I find people losing weight and keeping it off quietly without selling their success inspiring. There's a lot of them here on MFP. They'd beat Kirstie Alley hands-down.
  • keziak1
    keziak1 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    By inspiring I meant because she apparently lost the weight slowly not in some unrealistic "Biggest Loser" method. Yes, it was from eating prepared foods but she still had to stick with the program. That is something I've yet to prove to myself I can do.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I find it inspiring, probably because I like her. I'm sure she has her own challenges and isn't gaining and losing for the publicity of it.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    The thing is, people like Kirstie Alley have turned losing (and gaining, and losing, and gaining...) weight into their entire career and way to make money. It's like how other Hollywood celebrities get married and divorced just to make the headlines. It's all so staged. I mean, Kirstie Alley even had her own TV show called "Fat Actress". If that's not trading on weight issues, I don't know what is.

Personally, I'm much more inspired by the everyday people who lose the weight, keep it off, and do so quietly. Celebrities who earn their keep doing endorsements for various products or by searching for headlines don't really inspire me.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Ofcourse she's going to put the weight back on. She gets a huge lump sum payment every time she has to lose it again. She's making money out of yo yo'ing
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I could swear I saw her on some shopping channel selling her own line of weight loss products... shakes and supplements and the like touting them as all natural. The word clean may have even been used.

I can appreciate the fact that she's not given up, but I see the packaged plan deals like Jenny Craig and Nutri System as a quick fix of sorts. I don't think you learn much from them about eating in the real world with food you usually eat.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Celebrities have dietitians and can afford cooks. They are not like the rest of us.
    I like her but I never believe her when she talks about her various food plans
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I just saw that commercial and thought, "...again?!" How many times will she lose those 50 pounds?!?!?
  • segacs
    Options
    I just saw that commercial and thought, "...again?!" How many times will she lose those 50 pounds?!?!?

As many as it takes. Woman's gotta earn a living somehow. And the sad truth is, she probably doesn't know how to earn money any other way at this point.

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    hasnt she done this several times before though and doesnt manage to keep it off? Eah time she goes on some chat show, so unfirtunately a sense of Deja Vu. Doesnt inspire me, although have nothing against her.
  • WalkingAlong
    edited January 2015
    Options
    It sounds like she's back endorsing JC for the second time, after a contentious 'divorce' 7 years ago.
    http://adage.com/article/news/kirstie-alley-reunites-jenny-craig-spokeswoman/292517/

She doesn't need this work. She's a respected actress and comedienne, at any weight. I strongly doubt she regained her weight to re-sign with Jenny Craig for money.
  • segacs
    Options
    I figure they give her the meals and support for her past affiliations is all.

Hah! The woman has made an undisclosed sum that is estimated to be in the millions from her celeb endorsement deals and product lines over the years. Weight loss is Big Business in Hollywood.

foxbusiness.com/personal-finance/2012/08/09/six-celebs-who-gained-cash-when-losing-weight/
  • NotFatJustBigBoned
    Options
    I'm not the greatest at losing weight and keeping it off so I can't blast someone else for not being able to do it either. We are all in this together and it helps if we are supportive of each other, whether it's Kristie or anyone else.
  • WalkingAlong
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    I figure they give her the meals and support for her past affiliations is all.

Hah! The woman has made an undisclosed sum that is estimated to be in the millions from her celeb endorsement deals and product lines over the years. Weight loss is Big Business in Hollywood.

foxbusiness.com/personal-finance/2012/08/09/six-celebs-who-gained-cash-when-losing-weight/
    Yeah, I edited my post after looking up that article confirming she was again the spokesperson.

I don't think $1.5M is that much in that industry. She has an estimated net worth of $30M. I think she could get a million in Vegas in a few shows.

• emilymean
    emilymean Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    She just guest started on The Middle last week, so, she still acts. She's also a scientologist, so, she believes in an ancient alien overlords.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I'd be very tempted to gain 100 and lose it again if they waived a million dollars at me. Probably wouldn't do it, but it'd be very tempting! If she gains to lose, who can blame her.

Aside from her gorgeous hair, there is something appealing about Kirstie Alley. Like there's a real likeable person in there, behind the celeb stuff. I could be wrong.

I don't really care about her or any celeb's weight loss. When I hit the amount Oprah hauled out in the wagon, I re-watched that because I was like, "Damn, look at me go! I lost that, too!" but I'm not really inspired by celebs. I've read things that inspired me more here on these boards - and it's never the "This is how you should be, awesome like me!" stuff. It's always comments that I don't think people intended to be inspiring.