Online nutrition/fitness coaches

Options
What does everyone think of these coaches that are offering their services on Instagram etc?

Any good? Or waste of money?

Replies

• Chrisparadise579
    Chrisparadise579 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    depends I mean I am and work with a group of online coaches and we have helped over 1500 people lose weight. But we are free. I know there are alot of good coaches that do great work for money of the internet, but I also know there are way too many who overcharge just because of their name.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Well, one girl on my Facebook got ripped off (as in he never showed up) by a trainer she hired through Facebook, so...
  • Darrelkun
    Darrelkun Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Chrisparadise579 > Really? I'd be interested to find out more. I want to see a Nutritionist, but I don't think my health insurance covers any. I'd really just like to get an idea what I should be eating every day.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Darrelkun wrote: »
    Chrisparadise579 > Really? I'd be interested to find out more. I want to see a Nutritionist, but I don't think my health insurance covers any. I'd really just like to get an idea what I should be eating every day.

What you want is a registered dietitian, not a nutritionist.

Anyone (including any Joe schmoe on the internet) can call themselves a nutritionist. Most either have no clue about nutrition, or are actively promoting fad diets and falsehoods as truth. Sure, you could get really lucky and get one who knows what they're talking about, but then, you could also win the lottery tomorrow. "Do you feel lucky?"

In most (not all, but many) jurisdictions, a registered dietitian needs to be licensed, trained and part of the state or provincial regulatory body. That means you're gonna get someone who actually knows their *kitten* from their elbow.

Ask your doctor for a referral, that's usually the best way. Many insurance plans do cover it, especially with a doctor's prescription, but if yours doesn't, it might be a decent investment anyway.

But reading on your own is far preferable to hiring some random on the internet.