Help with Finding Protein Powder

Options
Hi,

Hope it's okay that I'm posting to the board; I posted this to the one about food and nutrition, but though there might be some people here with great advice that don't check that board. My apologies if doing so is outside of this site's usual practice.

I'm looking for a top-notch protein powder to go in my morning smoothies. I'm vegetarian and struggling with getting enough protein without also getting lots of carbs (have you seen how carb-heavy beans are?!?). It's been suggested that I should stay away from hemp (great complete protein source but the folks I talked with said the flavor in smoothies is a deal breaker). I'm concerned about purity issues (some of the sites on the internet report protein powders being pulled because of rat dropping, and even Consumer Reports did an article on heavy metals in protein powders), avoiding heat processing (I've read that it yields a lower quality product and may even leave residual chemicals behind)--and I need something with a decent enough taste (not chocolate) to be good in a fruit-based smoothie.

I'd appreciate any recommendations you may have (both "go get this one" and "stay away"!)

Thanks for your help!
Linda

Replies

• moto450
    moto450 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I use muscle Pharms "combat"protein powder. Cookies and cream flavor. I like the taste and it's worked well for me. I get mine from Costco. Not sure if you have one of those in your area.
  • hmcbride68
    hmcbride68 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I like Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey
  • bogwoppt1
    bogwoppt1 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I love Vega One. It is vegan, taste is pretty good with ice and some fruit. I usually use the chocolate flavour and add banana and greek yogourt.
  • rcottonrph1
    Options
    Do you eat dairy? Or are you looking for something besides whey?
  • candacefausset
    candacefausset Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Optimum nutrition for us too. It comes in a bounty of flavors. We've only tried 4-5 of them including vanilla and a couple of the chocolate variations. I've liked them all.
  • jillianedwards
    jillianedwards Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I love my cellucor protein they have the best flavours!
  • stevesfoods
    stevesfoods Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    You said you are concerned about purity issues so have a look at Warrior Food™ Natural Vegan Protein.
  • jmason75
    Options
    Unjury has unflavored and several flavors.
  • tammytjf79
    Options
    I have tried almost all the Vegan Protein powders and have finally found that the Vegan Smart All-in-one nutritional Shake is by far the BEST as far as taste goes, with the quality ingredients I look for in a protein supplement. My personal favorite is the <3 chocolate flavor <3 by the Vanilla and the Vanilla Chai are also delicious! :-)
  • LinnySquare
    LinnySquare Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone, for your help. On to smoothies...
    L
  • LinnySquare
    LinnySquare Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Do you eat dairy? Or are you looking for something besides whey?

rcottonrph1: I used to eat lots of dairy, but found that when I cut it out I fixed most of my stomach problems, so I'm hesitant to add it back (as much as I'm dying for some cottage cheese or greek yoghurt!). It's one of the reasons I'm looking for a protein powder, since I'm down to egg whites (ugh) or beans (too high in carbs) for protein. I don't know if just whey will give me the type of problems I had with whole-product dairy, but was hoping to avoid it just in case.

Linda

• pittjenn
    pittjenn Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I've been cutting dairy out to help with tummy trouble (like so many others - I thought it was gluten! Nope, my beloved cheese :'( )

Anyhow, I'm liking Orgain's protein powder. It is plant-based and no added sugars, and I can pick it up at Costco (larger size and better price than online)