Stuck! Don't want to lower Calories/Day. Already hungry where I am at

Options
So, I've lost 12 pounds but it has been a long (4 months) process. I lose very slowly, but I want 7-9 more to come off. I've hit a plateau and am stuck. I don't want to lower my calorie allotment since I am always hungry at the point I am at now. I'm physically very active, muscular, lift weights daily and run a few times a week. Just looking for ideas, encouragement, thoughts!

Replies

• carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    run sprints. you need to do something to break thru that plateau.
  • mdlori12
    Options
    Maybe you should actually increase your calorie intake just a bit- also use green tea, cinnamon, ginger, honey, just things that will increase your metabolism a bit. You might change your exercises too- no matter how good they are, your body gets used to them after a while. Do not worry, this plateau will not last forever. It means you are a step closer to your goal. Good job!
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    You eating like a bro, or are you getting plenty of veg at each meal?
  • ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    Options
    If you are hungry on your calorie allotment maybe trying upping your calories maybe 200 or 300 more or even up to 500
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    What are your stats (height/weight/age/goal)? Can you open your diary to get better advice?
  • SexyKatherine73
    SexyKatherine73 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    how much are you trying to loose a week? with only a few pounds to loose, you should be aiming for 1/2 pound a week.

The last 10 pounds are the hardest

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    If you are hungry then you're likely not eating enough or your macro balance is crap. You might want to eat at maintenance for a few weeks or longer and just see how you feel. If eating this much still leaves you hungry, consider changing your macros to increase fat and/or protein.
  • bainsworth1a
    bainsworth1a Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    add more veggies and make sure you are drinking at least 8 glasses of water a day
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    If you are hungry then you're likely not eating enough or your macro balance is crap. You might want to eat at maintenance for a few weeks or longer and just see how you feel. If eating this much still leaves you hungry, consider changing your macros to increase fat and/or protein.

This.

You shouldn't be hungry all the time. You aren't properly fueling your body.

Without knowing your stats or seeing your diary, it's hard to give you any advice. With only 20 pounds to lose, your goal should have NEVER been more than .5 pounds a week. You are 16 weeks in and have lost 12. That's extremely good progress.

Also, there is no way at 16 weeks with 12 off that you've plateaued. A plateau is 3ish months of no loss.

• dognurse32
    dognurse32 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks Everyone! I am female 5'2", and 140. I eat 6-8 servings of veggies a day, lean meats, 100 ounces a day, very little sugar and very little processed food. I have tried increasing my calories and I gain.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Maybe try adding more healthy fats into the mix? If you're just eating lots of lean meat and veggies, you could be feeling hungry for that reason. What are your macros (fat/protein/carb split)?
  • moto450
    moto450 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    how many calories are you currently eating?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    mdlori12 wrote: »
    Maybe you should actually increase your calorie intake just a bit- also use green tea, cinnamon, ginger, honey, just things that will increase your metabolism a bit. You might change your exercises too- no matter how good they are, your body gets used to them after a while. Do not worry, this plateau will not last forever. It means you are a step closer to your goal. Good job!

No to this ...all of this

Can you open your diary OP then people can give you proper advice
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Are you using a food scale? With such a small amount to lose, you have to make sure you aren't eating more than you think.
  • dognurse32
    Options
    I am new to MyFitness Pal, but have been tracking, so opening my diary won't be of any help. I just found the forums and wanted to post here!

I am eating 1400 calories a day, and usually am right at it, or just under. I am not sure what you all mean by macros, but my weekly intake on fat/protein/carbs for the past week was 252 out of a goal of 338 for fat
    278 out of a goal of 510 for protein
    1309 out of a goal of 1264 for carbs.
    So looking at that.....Do I need more protein and less carbs?
  • dognurse32
    Options
    I am using a food scale!
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    You need to focus on weighing your food and logging accurately and sticking to a defecit

Macro balance is down to personal preference ...I think MFP basic settings are 40% carbs, 30% fat, 30% protein

Personally I go for 50c, 20f, 30p but that's my preference ..I do aim for 100G protein minimum per day and generally follow an 80% healthy, 20% "treat" plan

• Sued0nim
    Options
    dognurse32 wrote: »
    I am new to MyFitness Pal, but have been tracking, so opening my diary won't be of any help. I just found the forums and wanted to post here!

I am eating 1400 calories a day, and usually am right at it, or just under. I am not sure what you all mean by macros, but my weekly intake on fat/protein/carbs for the past week was 252 out of a goal of 338 for fat
    278 out of a goal of 510 for protein
    1309 out of a goal of 1264 for carbs.
    So looking at that.....Do I need more protein and less carbs?

What are these numbers? They can't be grammes
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    More protein might be a good idea since you are lifting weights. Protein and fat tend to "satisfy" you more. I eat 40/30/30 (protein/fat/carbs) and I haven't been hungry. Eating protein in conjunction with strength trainng will help you maintain your muscle (or not lose too much of it) while you burn fat.

I think your carbs are really high and that's why you're hungry.
  • dognurse32
    Options
    The tracker I was using did list the units as grams and that if for a WEEK.