How can I kick the Carbs?!

Options
Okay, my nutrition goal is to stay 40% or below on carbs everyday and I never ever reach that goal! I surpass 40% every day. I can't figure out what number on the box is "too high" for my carb intake until it's too late. What carbs and what number of grams should give me that red flag? Sometimes the app warns me but not all the time, it's just time that I'm aware on my own. (*) B)

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    as long as you maintain your calorie deficit for the day then going over on carbs will not kill you..

can you make your diary public? That might help to see where you are going over on carbs…

what is your goal? Fat loss, body recomp, etc?
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Just look through your food diary and see where you can cut back. It's a process, so give yourself time to get better at it! :)
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Impossible to say without looking at your diary, but milk, tortillas, black eyed peas, tomatoes, Boca burgers, bananas, and pears are all higher-carb items in my diary. Still losing more than a pound a week. Maybe focus on what numbers you can bring up (like more protein) rather than keeping your carbs down.
  • Jenbwagg
    Jenbwagg Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to stay at 40% counting carbs or net carbs?
  • joanhynes3
    joanhynes3 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I too am trying to scale my carbs back. I am finding it difficult to get enough protein in. I need to go get some quest bars and some good whey protein for smoothies... quest makes a double chocolate brownie that I'm going to use as a treat...
  • trinity759
    Options
    If you cut processed food out that will cut your carbs. Slowly start subing out natural protein or veggies for processed carbs.
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Questions first: Why do you want to reduce the carbohydrates?
    Lower calorie intake?
    Better macro balance?
    Simple vs complex carbohydrates?
    Following a particular plan?
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Eat more meat, fat, and a lot of low carb veggies and after week or two you will not miss the carbs.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    1. Prelog and tweak before you eat.
    2. Don't worry about going over on carbs. Look at total calories, then protein, THEN you can look at fat and carb numbers.
    3. Eat more meat, eggs, nuts and dairy to get more protein. But don't cut other foods too much, you need them all.
    4. Good luck!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    1. Prelog and tweak before you eat.
    2. Don't worry about going over on carbs. Look at total calories, then protein, THEN you can look at fat and carb numbers.
    3. Eat more meat, eggs, nuts and dairy to get more protein. But don't cut other foods too much, you need them all.
    4. Good luck!

This.

Really just log for a week and then look at your numbers and see what your higher carb numbers are that you can cut or substitute. If you aren't low on protein (or have an overly high protein goal), you may decide it doesn't matter, if you feel good. But one good approach is definitely to prelog, especially the protein you are planning, to see if it adds up. If you get enough chances are the carbs will fall in place.

It will get easier to know how what you eat will affect your numbers as you go on. It's just a lot at first, which is why I think getting used to it first before worrying too much about macros (protein, fat, carbs) is a good way to go.
  • bdunk011
    Options
    ukaryote wrote: »
    Lower calorie intake?
    Better macro balance?
    I'm foklowing a plan. The site i visit online gave a specific percentage to loosing weight. Carb 40 protien 60 fat 40

• bdunk011
    Options
    bdunk011 wrote: »
    Lower calorie intake?
    Better macro balance?
    I'm following a plan. The site that I visit online gave a specific percentage that's best to loosing weight when exercising daily : Carb 40 ,protien 60, fat 40

• bdunk011
    Options
    Impossible to say without looking at your diary, but milk, tortillas, black eyed peas, tomatoes, Boca burgers, bananas, and pears are all higher-carb items in my diary. Still losing more than a pound a week. Maybe focus on what numbers you can bring up (like more protein) rather than keeping your carbs down.

Sorry, I don't know how to make my diary public
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Lower calorie intake?
    Better macro balance?
    I'm foklowing a plan. The site i visit online gave a specific percentage to loosing weight. Carb 40 protien 60 fat 40

You will still lose as long as you are in a calorie deficit.
    Carbs are everywhere; in fruit, vegetables, cheese, ect.
    Use it as a guide, and don't sweat it if you go over! I used to go over carbs all the time; upped them to over 200g at one point, and still lost consistently.

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options

Sorry, I don't know how to make my diary public
    If you do it, prepare to have someone look at what you eat and insult you. You wouldn't be the first person I've said that to who opened it up and then messaged me later to say, "Boy you were right!"

Maybe open it for a bit for this thread and then close it. I don't know. Not saying you shouldn't, just a heads up. :)
  • chelsmccann
    chelsmccann Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    In your 'nutrition' area, go to the more detailed breakdown. My carbs are set higher than I usually put them right now but as you can see in the pic, your middle column will tell you how many grams of that nutrient you want. If you're worried about going over your wanted carbs, when meal planning try not to go over that ammount.
    hmll4d4bl62i.jpg
  • LuFindy
    LuFindy Posts: 28
    Options
    I didn't realise how many carbs I was eating, I thought I was eating quite healthy. Would any of you like to friend me and tell me where I am going wrong with my carbs and what I could eat alternatively. Does anyone else work an office job like me and find it hard to find food to eat that isn't a sandwich?

Thanks!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    OK, if you can't set your diary to public, can you give examples of the sort of foods you are eating at each meal?
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    I was going over my carbs too and then I started reading all of my food labels. Since then I've gone to basically a modified paleo plan. Lean meats and lotts of veggies. I just researched to figure out which veggies were carb heavy. I say modified because I stick to low/no fat fats. It's worked for me. I have my carb % set low and allow myself to reach that number. Also, like others mentioned, it helps to pre-log and stick to the plan. I tend to eat the same things everyday so it's easier to pre-log.