Big girl jogging problems!

Options
13»

Replies

• Canuckgirl77
    Canuckgirl77 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    After lots of runs bunching my yoga pants up at the waist and tying off the extra fabric with a hair elastic, I finally cracked and invested in a bunch of compression pants.

LOL I almost spit my coffee out when I read this! I go to zumba and have roll the waistband of my pants 3 times to stop if from sagging so low that I trip. I actually need to roll them even more, but I can't because the crotch can't go any higher without causing some serious lady part damage =o
  • Neil1139
    Options
    Walking or running i wear old NFL shirts, they are big baggy and cover loads of ripples. And comfy as well.
  • maroro123
    maroro123 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I definitely agree with the old navy active wear - I've ran since I was in high school track and they are the best workout clothes that I've ever used. and they're reasonably priced, so that's a plus. I have 2 pairs of the compression capris and I wear them ALL the time.

Also finding a good sports bra is a must. You'll probably have to shell out a bit of money for a nice/supportive one, but it'll be well worth it. I used to just buy the cheap ones and then double or triple up - however it made breathing while running/jogging nearly impossible because there was so much pressure around my rib cage. When I changed to one properly fitting bra it improved my breathing immensely.

I'm always a little self-conscious when I run outside about what the cars passing by might think, but it's easy to get over that. Now I just like to think that they're all rooting for me!
  • Canuckgirl77
    Canuckgirl77 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I can't afford to buy new workout gear right now, so I have to make do with what I've got. When I go for walks, I wear a light weight sweat-wicking jacket (workout wear from Lane Bryant) that goes down to about mid-thigh. Even though my pants are rolling down and exposing my tummy, the jacket more than covers it. And if I get too hot, I just take it off and tie it around my waist which helps keep the t-shirt and pants in place.
  • snarlingcoyote
    snarlingcoyote Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I can't afford to buy new workout gear right now, so I have to make do with what I've got. When I go for walks, I wear a light weight sweat-wicking jacket (workout wear from Lane Bryant) that goes down to about mid-thigh. Even though my pants are rolling down and exposing my tummy, the jacket more than covers it. And if I get too hot, I just take it off and tie it around my waist which helps keep the t-shirt and pants in place.

I'm not sure where you live, but if you're anywhere near a thrift store go check it out. I've found all sorts of good running gear at the thrifts for almost nothing. You can also ask friends to check out their thrift stores for you. TJMaxx, Marshalls, Ross and other discounters often have good running gear for very little money. Target is having a buy one get on 50% off on their C9 brand this week and finally, Walmart is very cheap and has decent gear at times.
  • guimauveconfections
    Options
    I had this in my original post and deleted it out. . .the thing about tights is that they show off my good china. <ahem>. ;) I have several pairs of running skorts. I can wear these by themselves or with a pair of tights underneath. Additionally, sometimes I can find a good pair of skapris, which are running skorts with the capris built in. Just something to think about. I want the neighbors (who have large dogs and cars) to like me and watch out for me when I'm jogging after work. I figure looking nice and modest helps. (Although, there are a couple of old geezers I wonder about. . .)

Good china...lolololol
  • snarlingcoyote
    Options
    I had this in my original post and deleted it out. . .the thing about tights is that they show off my good china. <ahem>. ;) I have several pairs of running skorts. I can wear these by themselves or with a pair of tights underneath. Additionally, sometimes I can find a good pair of skapris, which are running skorts with the capris built in. Just something to think about. I want the neighbors (who have large dogs and cars) to like me and watch out for me when I'm jogging after work. I figure looking nice and modest helps. (Although, there are a couple of old geezers I wonder about. . .)

Good china...lolololol

o:):D

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options

Good china...lolololol

bahahaha
  • leighdiane91
    leighdiane91 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Awesome, thanks ladies, thought I might be the only one :/ The underwear rolling down thing...oh man its the worst! I have some long tanks I can wear but just the feeling that my pants are rollin down at the waistline is ridiculously nerve racking!

I got New Balance underwear for running at TJ Maxx and they are AMAZING. They do not budge when I run. For pants, my favorite pair are capri legging type running pants, I think Danskin Now (walmart brand) and they tie at the top! Tying is essential for me lol
  • itzjulz
    itzjulz Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Old Navy compression capris/leggings. They have caused me much less grief than any other pair of workout pants/capris/leggings I own. I started at ~195, down to 175 now. I'm shocked that I can still wear the capris I was wearing 20 lbs ago and they don't fall down! (Though I will be trying the next size down on my next trip)

Also, for me, the full butt/granny panty underwear are a must. I recommend the champion brand from Target.
  • snarlingcoyote
    Options
    itzjulz wrote: »
    Another vote for Old Navy compression capris/leggings. They have caused me much less grief than any other pair of workout pants/capris/leggings I own. I started at ~195, down to 175 now. I'm shocked that I can still wear the capris I was wearing 20 lbs ago and they don't fall down! (Though I will be trying the next size down on my next trip)

Also, for me, the full butt/granny panty underwear are a must. I recommend the champion brand from Target.

Oh lord, yes! I am a total thong girl - except when I work out. Then it's full butt panties all the way!
  • guimauveconfections
    Options
    Last year I started walking, then jogging, then done some childrens fun runs, 2x5k races then a massive 10k... if I can do that then anyone can! Now I am back to the walking stage starting all over again bigger than I was before. I was cursed, some say blessed with massive bazookers and I would wear a scaffolding cotton non wired bra, then a sports vest top over it, then a vest top and either a zip up jacket or hooded jumper on top again. I found the thicker type joggers better for me in the beginning with the elasticated waist and the more confidence I got and weight I lost I then progressed onto the silky type running leggings (always wearing a giant cotton 'granny knickers' with pride. I found shin splints a big problem, dont think I invested in a decent pair of trainers, I will get my feet measured this time though. Would love to add you as a friend as I feel we could motivate each other :)

Yes of course!
  • MalaikaInJapan
    MalaikaInJapan Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Compression pants are good and a terrific fitting sports bra is a MUST (go to a specialty store for big busted women if needed - you'll thank me later!). It takes a little while to get the clothing mechanics right but you live and learn. I nearly lost my yoga pants during PureBarre class. I wore them thinking "so the waist is stretched out a little bit, no biggie!". Um... The goal is to keep moving in whatever you're choosing to do. Old Navy is a great, inexpensive source for workout clothes. I hope you find clothes that work for you and your jogging. And CONGRATS on your journey, by the way!!! You'll be marathon running in no time.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I love compression pants. I don't want lose my drawers if you get the hint. Besides if you are trying to jog/run you really need to be comfy. I have gotten a lot of mine on sale at some of the outlets like Nike, New Balance and Under Armour. I love moving comfort sports bras. They are the best I think. Really comfy.

Good luck and congrats!
  • romancoat
    romancoat Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Mid-calf yoga pants with an elastic waist+tie, and a sleeveless shirt. I joined a number of 5K runs so I had a bunch of the race tops. And a REALLY GOOD bra. When I lost weight, I was able to switch to shorts in the summer. (Have unfortunately regained the weight after 2 years of being sedentary and stress eating and am starting over again. Currently, shorts are riding up my thighs when I try jogging.)