What's my recommended calories for weightloss 1-2lbs a week ?

Options
hi I'm trying to work out the calories I'll need to lose 1-2 lbs a week
First week I lost 4.5lbs I know this is mainly water I also know 1-2lbs is the recommended loss
I stuck to 1400-1600 calories a day this week I didn't want to go too low as I know as I lose weight I'll not be able to have many if I start to low at maintaining
I'm 5ft 2 weigh 207lbs today im 45 exercise is walking an hour 5 days a week
I'm self employed retailer so Id say lightly active

Thanks

Replies

• BeTheChange352
    BeTheChange352 Posts: 253 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    go here to figure out your TDEE.

TDEE-1000 calories every day should mathematically result in a 2 pound loss per week, TDEE-500 calories every day will result in 1 pound loss per week, but you should not eat below your BMR.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    At 1400 calories, you can expect to lose 1 lb a week, since you are walking.
  • flabassmcgee
    flabassmcgee Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Your BMR alone is an estimated 1600 calories, according to a TDEE calculator, so you don't want to go below that number.

Your TDEE using the Lightly Active modifier is 2251. Subtracting 20% for a moderate deficit gives you 1800 calories to eat each day without eating back exercise calories.

I'd almost say you're Moderately Active. How long are you on your feet each day at work? Either way, that would give you 2,000 calories to eat each day without eating exercise calories back.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Your BMR alone is an estimated 1600 calories, according to a TDEE calculator, so you don't want to go below that number.

Your TDEE using the Lightly Active modifier is 2251. Subtracting 20% for a moderate deficit gives you 1800 calories to eat each day without eating back exercise calories.

I'd almost say you're Moderately Active. How long are you on your feet each day at work? Either way, that would give you 2,000 calories to eat each day without eating exercise calories back.

This^^^^^ my guess is you are eating more than you think. Weigh all your food with a scale and measure all your liquids. You have to KNOW how much you are eating and measuring or guesstimating food won't cut it. It's easy to be off by hundreds of calories that way. You have to weigh it. Good luck. Oh, and weight loss isn't linear, you will go a while at times with no loss and sometimes you will an amout that doesn't seem real, it happens.
  • SexyKatherine73
    SexyKatherine73 Posts: 221 Member
    Options

Wrong

I'm 5'2 and all I do is walk and I'm roughly same weight and I loose 2 pounds a week most weeks sometime little more sometimes little less, but it works out to be 2 pound a week average.

• sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    There is no basis for the admonition to not eat below BMR.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    You've been doing this 2 weeks, the first week you lost a bunch (normal), the second nothing? Or you just don't know yet? If nothing, that's also normal, as sometimes an adjustment to the loss of water weight in the first, so if you have a number you got from MFP you could just stick with it, as MFP's estimate should be right. Or try MFP, 1.5 lb loss (or 2 if you want), and lightly active and then log back additional walks taken for exercise.

If you want to do TDEE method, I get approximately 2200 TDEE, but you are going to get a different number from different calculators based on somewhat different formulas, not knowing your body fat percentage, and different ways of estimating activity, so this is only a rough estimate to start with. At at 2200 TDEE, 1700 would be a 1 lb/week loss, and 1450 would be a 1.5 lb/week loss, so what you are doing seems consistent with that and reasonable. (My guess is that if you log carefully you might lose more than this at first, as you are probably a bit more active in reality and also that's just sometimes what happens at the beginning. But everyone is a little different.)

I started MFP with really similar stats to yours: 200, 5'3, and 44, and was also lightly active, and I was losing 2 lbs/week at 1250 + exercise calories (I ate back most of them). You probably walk more in your daily job than I do, although I was walking a decent amount for daily activity outside my job.

I wouldn't worry about BMR--the issue there is not having too steep a deficit and at your weight 1-2 lbs/week is totally reasonable.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options

Wrong

I'm 5'2 and all I do is walk and I'm roughly same weight and I loose 2 pounds a week most weeks sometime little more sometimes little less, but it works out to be 2 pound a week average.

No, it isn't "wrong." She shouldn't base her expectations on your results. It is better to base her expectations on the general population and then make adjustments based on her personal results.
  • sandown12
    sandown12 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Thankyou
    I lost 71lbs on here in 2012 but I exercised a lot since then I damaged my knee & calf muscle so exercise is limited
    I do weigh and measure everything

I appreciate the time you all took to help me

I will lol back into TDEE & BMR to refresh my memory
    When ive lose some eight I will cycle as shouldn't be too painful on my leg

• sandown12
    sandown12 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Look **