What leads to successful weight loss?

Options
Pastor_John
Pastor_John Posts: 33
edited January 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
In high school i was fat so i lost 80 pounds. Now im fat again, now i think i have some keys that will help me. Eat under a calorie defeicit, move around more, track my food intake. I will start a gym next month so is cardio and weight training both good?

Replies

• HappyLifting89
    Options
    I would suggest starting out with some good cardio. 20-30 minutes 3 times a week. On the 4th day, do some weight training. Do this for a bout 3 weeks. Then start incorporating some more lifting and circuit training.
  • OIRH
    OIRH Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Agree with the above. Do some HIIT cardio training and slowly add weighttraining at a later stage for more muscles and thus an increased BMR which should help your weight loss.

Good luck!
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    The minimum exercise guidelines are:
    • 30 minutes daily for general health benefits
    • 60 minutes daily for maintaining weight
    • 90 minutes daily for losing weight
  • cbhubbybubble
    cbhubbybubble Posts: 465 Member
    Options

Where does the 90 minute minimum for weight loss come from? Is that a suggestion for exercising out a bad diet and not calorie counting or? No way I exercise 90min every day and I've lost over 65lbs. I lift weights 40-60 minutes 3-4x per week. I try to get in a walk with the dog or on the treadmill if I can and I go to yoga once or twice a week. I do all that to get fit, but I've lost weight by eating at a calorie deficit

• clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options

ain't nobody got time for that.... especially with kids and a job lol I lost weight without doing a lick of exercise. I do exercise now for myself but usually no more than 30 min. I see no reason to exhaust myself and become useless to my family.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

What the??? Where did that come from?

Exercise is for fitness. Calorie deficit is for weight loss.

OP, a nice mix of cardio and resistance training is all you need. I'm aiming for 3 days resistance training with a cardio warm up for it and 2 days of cardio.

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

Oh, please do not listen to this.

To lose weight - adhere to a reasonable calorie deficit. Exercise is great, it should be part of your routine and, yes, a mixture of cardio and weights makes a lot of sense in terms of all around fitness, strength and body composition. You might chose one over the other depending on personal goals.

But there is absolutely NO NEED to do 90 minutes DAILY exercise to lose weight. The recommendation is 90 minutes of moderate activity (walking, stretching, gardening, etc) not active exercise (cardio/weight training).

Read the sticky posts in the forums, they are a good starting guide. You can also find them in my profile.
  • StraubreyR
    StraubreyR Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I think the most important thing is to be in it for the long haul. You have to find a way to eat and exercise that you can sustain indefinitely. The weight may not come off as fast as if you made drastic changes, but it will stay off! No one else can tell you what will work for you, you have to use trial and error to figure it out.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,957 Member
    Options
    Compliance with the foods you decide to include in your diet. Exercise is of course mandatory if you want to still be active and relatively agile as you age, yes it's a lifetime thing, just like the foods you decide to consume.
  • AnotherXFitGuy
    AnotherXFitGuy Posts: 58 Member
    Options

What the??? Where did that come from?

Exercise is for fitness. Calorie deficit is for weight loss.

OP, a nice mix of cardio and resistance training is all you need. I'm aiming for 3 days resistance training with a cardio warm up for it and 2 days of cardio.

#1 Answer!!!
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    Cardio and weights. I lift 3-4 days a week and do low intensity cardio after...I have the extra 45 minutes though. High intensity cardio would probably be better, especially if you are pressed for time. Pick a strength program. You can search the forums...you'll find plenty of suggestions, like: Strong Lifts, New Rules of Lifting.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options

Yeah, these numbers aren't right.

You lose weight by eating a deficit. Exercising is for health. Exercise can help you increase your calorie deficit, but it isn't the end-all-be-all for weight loss. FWIW, I workout less than 60 minutes a day and can still lose weight when my diet is in check.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

Unnecessary.
    OP, you have it down, eat at a deficit (all that's required). Cardio is for health and lifting to maintain muscle mass, while losing. Go get it!
  • Sevendust912
    Sevendust912 Posts: 122 Member
    Options

lol - sounds like you just pulled that out of your *kitten*.

OP - Yes start lifting, and lifting heavy. Do the compound lifts mixed in with isolation exercises.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Sure I ate less and moved more, but what made my weight loss successful (almost 2 years since i hit the century mark) was patience. Yes, setbacks are frustrating, but I never let that deter me from my ultimate goal. So yes, eat at a calorie deficit, move more, lift heavy things, but more than anything, have patience.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options

Where does the 90 minute minimum for weight loss come from? Is that a suggestion for exercising out a bad diet and not calorie counting or? No way I exercise 90min every day and I've lost over 65lbs. I lift weights 40-60 minutes 3-4x per week. I try to get in a walk with the dog or on the treadmill if I can and I go to yoga once or twice a week. I do all that to get fit, but I've lost weight by eating at a calorie deficit

In reading the report, it is a little hard to figure out what they are basing it on. I don't think they are saying this is without reducing calories. I think what they are saying is that people who are overweight need to exercise more so that the increased health benefits of exercise counteract the increased health problems associated with obesity.
  • lisaanne1369
    lisaanne1369 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Easy......eat less, move more
  • mckennasihde
    mckennasihde Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    oh please people-- just take it with a grain of salt and calm down.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    OP - get a food scale and weigh/log/measure everything that you eat.

I would also suggest learning that there are no bad foods and that you can eat what you want. When it comes to strictly fat loss, quality of calories does not matter.

calorie deficit = weight loss
    macro adherence = body composition and overall health

exercise is not necessary to lose weight, but if you have time for it, it is a nice add on for general healthy purposes….