What leads to successful weight loss?

Options

Replies

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    My god the amount of horrible advice at the top of this thread is unreal.

No one, no one listen to the stuff below. It's just so bad.
    mshaver221 wrote: »
    I would suggest starting out with some good cardio. 20-30 minutes 3 times a week. On the 4th day, do some weight training. Do this for a bout 3 weeks. Then start incorporating some more lifting and circuit training.
    The minimum exercise guidelines are:
    • 30 minutes daily for general health benefits
    • 60 minutes daily for maintaining weight
    • 90 minutes daily for losing weight

Yes, it is horrible, isn't it? The horror of the government spend our hard earned tax dollars to pay for a study that tells us we need to exercise if we want to be healthy. With as much money as we give them, they ought to be telling us to sit in front of a television and stuff our faces with potato chips.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    oh please people-- just take it with a grain of salt and calm down.

White knight!

giphy.gif
  • Sevendust912
    Sevendust912 Posts: 122 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

I would suggest starting out with some good cardio. 20-30 minutes 3 times a week. On the 4th day, do some weight training. Do this for a bout 3 weeks. Then start incorporating some more lifting and circuit training.

Yes, it is horrible, isn't it? The horror of the government spend our hard earned tax dollars to pay for a study that tells us we need to exercise if we want to be healthy. With as much money as we give them, they ought to be telling us to sit in front of a television and stuff our faces with potato chips.

healthy =/= weight loss and even if it were you'd still be wrong.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    edited January 2015
    Options

Nice red herring and straw man. No one here is suggesting that exercise guidelines (which are in the order of minimum 20 minutes of exercise) don't make sense - nor is anyone suggesting to eat chips/watch tv is the way to go.

The actual guidelines (dga 2005, and already tossed out) suggest maintaining diet within calorie requirements and do not highlight the need of 90 minutes to lose weight.

http://www.health.gov/dietaryguidelines/dga2005/document/html/chapter4.htm

You are confusing moderate intensity activity to active exercise as outlined by the OPs question.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Disregarding the rotting fish smell of this thread, addressing the initial question:

What leads to successful weight loss?

OP you have a solid plan. Keep your calories in check. A combination of resistance training and cardio works well for many people.

The most important thing is self discipline and patience. Work your plan and stay with it, you will see significant changes in a year if you stay focused.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I would say consistancy is a key to weight loss. :)
  • TimothyFish
    Options
    Come on, let those feels flow through you.

Oh please. You're pretty unaware of how things work in general. Especially with your new crusade against scales.

I have nothing against you or anyone else using a scale. I've just grown tired of seeing people imply that weighing food is going to solve all weight loss problems.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options

Oh please. You're pretty unaware of how things work in general. Especially with your new crusade against scales.

I have nothing against you or anyone else using a scale. I've just grown tired of seeing people imply that weighing food is going to solve all weight loss problems.

It isn't. But it is a logical first step when people aren't logging or don't know how much they are actually eating. Fix the mayors before moving to the minors.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    There is one and only one necessary (and sufficient) component to successful weight loss: Caloric Deficit.

All else is personal preference. Opinion. BroScience. Myth. Woo Woo and Old Wives Tales.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

Gosh, you just sit there in that huge armchair and make stuff up don'tcha ? :smiley:
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options

90 minutes daily sounds like a great way to cause injuries. People who are already fit could pull it off, but most people starting off their weight loss probably aren't that fit. This advice is not only ridiculous, but dangerous as well. Shame on you.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options

90 minutes daily sounds like a great way to cause injuries. People who are already fit could pull it off, but most people starting off their weight loss probably aren't that fit. This advice is not only ridiculous, but dangerous as well. Shame on you.

What's evendors more amusing is that I train 3 days a week at best, I wonder why I've been able to lose weight. I wonder.

Exactly. I'm just pointing out that its dangerous on top of being flat out incorrect.

If *cough* someone *cough* is going to spread misinformation, I'd rather it be harmless misinformation over something that could hurt someone.
  • TimothyFish
    Options

So what's your solution. Also, I'm requesting to see what progress you've made using your methods.

Over the last 90 days, my weight loss average has been 1.94 lbs per week. I eyeball my food portions and I put in about seven hours of exercise each week. On non-exercise days, I eat 1600 calories. On days I exercise, I eat as many as 800 extra calories.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

You know what? I doesn't solve ALL weight loss problems, but for a group of people, it very well might. For short people who have very few calories to play with, the discrepancies between measuring and weighing can add up rapidly, especially for calorie dense foods like nut butters and starches.

Even the difference between an analog scale and a digital scale made a difference for me. My rate of weight loss picked up once I switched to a digital scale and started weighing some things I'd previously been measuring.

So while it might not solve all weight loss problems, given that it might give a clearer picture of calories consumed, it still boggles the mind exactly why you are so dead set against them, especially since they are usually recommended to people who complain that they're not losing in spite of doing everything "right". They are invariably eating more than they think. A scale is a good way to find out that they're doing that.

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

So what's your solution. Also, I'm requesting to see what progress you've made using your methods.

Over the last 90 days, my weight loss average has been 1.94 lbs per week. I eyeball my food portions and I put in about seven hours of exercise each week. On non-exercise days, I eat 1600 calories. On days I exercise, I eat as many as 800 extra calories.

No pics no proof.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

Well that's good for you, now isn't it?

The fact is that most folks are either not very good at "eyeballing" or are both in denial and completely dishonest with themselves about portion sizes (and experience and observation tells me there are far more in the latter group)

So you're gonna intentionally sabotage other folks because you can't be bothered, right?

Niiiiiice - 'Cause that's what you're doing here.