Weight Training

Options
I've had trainers at the gym and I still fell very insecure going to lift weights. The machines are very intimidating. I have cardio down, but as soon as I am done and am supposed to head to the floor for some weight training, the door to leave is so much closer. Are there any apps out there to learn? Or how did you learn the machines?

Replies

• hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Does it have to be machines? A simple beginner barbell program (Stronglifts or Starting Strength) doesn't have a lot to learn, and there are plenty of resources online (and Stronglifts has an excellent phone app, if you're into that sort of thing).
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Are you not sure how to use the machines, or are you not sure which machines to be using?

The first just takes a little practice (ask your gym if they have some kind of orientation/introduction to the gym/machines, or most machines have instructions on them), the second we can probably help with.
  • XFreckle_LipX
    XFreckle_LipX Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Personally I think the best thing to do is ask a member of staff in the gym to show you. You dont want to start using the machine and realise later that you have been doing it wrong or hurting yourself by using the machine incorrectly. I use the weights all the time in the gym and although at first I felt intimidated I have realised since that everyone has to start somewhere.... Good Luck!
  • gogospice
    gogospice Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I do cardio and then head over to the weight section. I use the machines because the section with free weights is usually packed. Great thing about the machines, is they generally have pictures on them with instructions. Play around until you find what works for you. Trial and error has worked for me.
  • rubyautumn4
    rubyautumn4 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Most gyms will offer a weight room/section orientation and staff are typically happy to show you how to use the machines or free weights as well.
  • November_Fire
    November_Fire Posts: 165 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I watched a lot of Youtube, did barbell lifting at home for a few months, and then just strolled into the weights section early on a Sunday :) So, it was pretty quiet. I'm not really intimidated by other people anymore though. No one even looked at me.

I agree one of the free inductions will teach you about the machines and the weights. You said you've 'had the trainers', but maybe be more specific with them about the things you need to know.
  • ziaibelieve
    ziaibelieve Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    hill8570 wrote: »
    Does it have to be machines? A simple beginner barbell program (Stronglifts or Starting Strength) doesn't have a lot to learn, and there are plenty of resources online (and Stronglifts has an excellent phone app, if you're into that sort of thing).

I absolutely love Stronglifts. I highly recommend it! Its efficient, easy to learn, and produces great results! Their app is great too!

If you want to learn any exercises or how to use a machine, just search it in google. You'll get a ton of tutorials. Bobybuilding.com has great tutorials.

Just make sure to plan your workouts ahead, and if need be, search any exercises online.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    Go in there, grab a barbell and act like you own it. Furl your eyebrows and growl. No one will not know about your lack of confidence in the free-weight section or with machines.

Be a badass.

(Stronglifts, Starting Strength, New Rules for Women, Strong Curves et al.)
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    Start with the free introduction to the machines but don't be afraid to look at what people are doing with the free weights. Take a good hard took at what they're doing all the time and do a little research how to do them properly. Replace a machine with a dumbbell or kettlebell exercise here and there. Try out things that work for you and some that don't. Don't be afraid to switch it up if you get bored with an exercise. Look at exercising each muscle group and not just replacing the machines. Some machines have gotten pretty good.

By now you've probably noticed a few girls at the gym that get under the barbell like the "gym bros" do. Maybe you've talked to them once or twice. Ask them for advice, like what are the good barbell exercises, the best ways to use them, and of course, "could you watch to make sure I do this right?"

Learn, progress and start to enjoy what lifting weights is doing for you body that no amount of cardio ever could, just a little at a time.
  • NekoneMeowMixx
    NekoneMeowMixx Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Hi Andrea! I was in the exact same boat as you up until about a week ago. I'm currently training for the Tough Mudder, so I've put weight lifting on hold in favor of trying to enhance my endurance/cardio. BUT, that being said, this is by far the *best* article I have found in regards to female fitness-- weight lifting and otherwise. It goes in depth about what types of weight training "moves" to do, and when, and which ones together, etc. It also includes a (I believe it's 12 week) program that you can follow, and guidelines on how to create your own! Packed with tons of information on proper nutrition (I don't know about you, but that's something I personally struggle with) and other great information. I definitely recommend giving it a look. Best of luck! :)

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/womans_lean_sexy_bible.htm
  • cbills65
    cbills65 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I feel exactly the same way, Andrea. I prefer free weights over machines. I just do my thing at home where I am less conscipious and don't have to wait for a machine to be available.

I started with a few dumbbells and resistance bands after I read a book called " Thinner, Leaner, Stronger" by Michael Matthews. He has a website as well. The book is about weight lifting for women, how it works on the female body and what to do and not do. It covers nutrition as related to weight lifting. I found it very informative. I used an app called JeFit and customized my own lifting program which I did for 4 weeks and found it to be good for me. I definitely gained strength. Then I saw an infomercial for a beach body product called "Body Beast" and I bought the DVD's. That's what I've been doing for 6 weeks at home with my same dumbbells, resistance band and a stability ball. BB is geared toward men but if you look it up online Body Beast for Women you'll see it does amazing things for women. I don't mean to sound shallow but some of the guys on the DVD don't suck to look at, so there's a little bonus. The workouts are under an hour, some only 30 minutes so it is perfect for working out at home in my opinion. There is a blogger who writes under dumbbellsanddiapers and she has a ton of great information, plus she is very funny.

Also consider free online workouts such as those found on fitnessblender (which is on YouTube). They are really good and you can pick and choose what level you want and how long you want to workout, etc.

Good luck!
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    You just need to get in there and do it. Do some research based on your goals. There are plenty of online resources. Machines IMO are limiting and results tend to be slower as compared to free weights. There are plenty of beginner programs out there.... Starting Strength and Strong Lifts. Strong Lifts has an app and an extensive online community group to help and support. Just put your big girl pants on and do it. No need to be afraid... those barbells will not bite.
  • romancoat
    romancoat Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I vote for the free weights as well. I lost 25 lbs through right eating and following the New Rules of Lifting for Women program. Really great. Unfortunately, due to various work-related stuff, I stopped going to the gym and started stress eating for a year and a half, so I've gained all the weight back. Just started again two weeks ago.
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Most gyms do induction programmes. When I used to go to a gym I mostly used free weights. I now have a home gym and not a machine in sight. If you are unsure ask for an induction as others have suggested on here. Weight training is brilliant for toning and fat loss. All the best and feel free to add me :)