Too many calories?

Options
Hi everyone, so I am new to this losing weight game and I was wondering if you could eat too many calories in one meal..

I have cut down my breakfast and lunch to a combined total of 600 approx

It then leaves my dinner around 1500, I don't usually hit that figure but I do have between 800-1500

Now is that bad as I could be storing those up? Should I spread my calories equally throughout the day?

Advice please

Replies

• mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    You can eat how every many calories as you need in one meal. You can eat them all in one meal. It doesn't matter.
  • jeffreybas
    jeffreybas Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    You're better off trying to spread it out through out the day. Plan a snack between each meal and your dinner won't need to be so big then. This will help with your metabolism and along with some exercise you should start to see changes
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    jeffreybas wrote: »
    You're better off trying to spread it out through out the day. Plan a snack between each meal and your dinner won't need to be so big then. This will help with your metabolism and along with some exercise you should start to see changes

Nope.. it doesn't matter ... and it won't do anything to your metabolism to eat when you want to

just hit your calorie defecit across the week however you wish to and you will be fine

exercise is good for the mind and reinforces your will, as well as giving you additional calories
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

no
  • jeffreybas
    jeffreybas Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    So you're saying if you wish to eat your total goal in one sitting that is ok?
    As far as the metabolism part I've read and been told its better to eat every few hours then once or twice a day.
    But I guess if it works for some then stick with it. Me personally I stick to three meals and three snacks through out the day. I am rarely hungry and I don't stuff myself at meals so I don't have that sluggish feeling after.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

yep!
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    If that keeps you feeling satiated and energetic (or even just a bit peckish but able to carry on as normal and control it), eat that way if you like. You'll be fine. Everybody's different. I like to have smaller meals and regular snacks because I get low blood sugar so if I was eating very low calorie all day I'd be ravenous by 3pm and end up scoffing chocolate. However you are not me, and you can arrange your calorie intake how you like as long as you meet your goal.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

Yes it is
    As far as the metabolism part I've read and been told its better to eat every few hours then once or twice a day.

That's bro-science, stop reading that stuff
    But I guess if it works for some then stick with it. Me personally I stick to three meals and three snacks through out the day. I am rarely hungry and I don't stuff myself at meals so I don't have that sluggish feeling after.

you do what works for you but there's no science behind meal timing
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Eat what you want, when you want. Don't go over your calorie allotment. There are a lot of myths saying 'eat small meals 2-3 hours apart'. IF people stopped repeating and believing that crap, it'd go away :)
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Moderate throughout the day, BIG in the evening for me. Whatever makes you happy and gives you a bigger chance of success.

Some reading, with 34 cited studies...

http://examine.com/faq/do-i-need-to-eat-six-times-a-day-to-keep-my-metabolism-high.html

"Quick Answer:

There may be benefits to manipulating meal frequency and eating the same amount of food more often or less often, but metabolic rate is not one of them. There is no evidence to support the idea that multiple meals increases metabolic rate
    "
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I find it easier to 'bank' calories for the end of the day. I like eating lavish dinners and don't mind having light lunches to make up for it. It really makes no difference as long as your overall intake is the same. Do what works for you.
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    I find it easier to 'bank' calories for the end of the day. I like eating lavish dinners and don't mind having light lunches to make up for it. It really makes no difference as long as your overall intake is the same. Do what works for you.

I am exactly the same.
  • fizzleh
    fizzleh Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Eat more often throughout the day. Eating all your calories in one meal is a recipe for disaster.

This is not scientific and I have no proof but when I used to binge, my stomach used to stretch so much I felt sick so if you eat more often throughout the day, I'm assuming your stomach should never stretch as much.

It should in theory become smaller and so make smaller meals fill you up faster. This is what happens to me on the 5:2 diet.
  • JenniDaisy
    JenniDaisy Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I don't eat breakfast, have a small lunch and then eat high calorie dinners and then usually a snack just before bed.
    If bro-science was correct I'd be as big as a house by now, but I'm not. Just keep to a calorie deficit and manage it in a way that fits you.
  • Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    As long as you don't have any medical issues (such as diabetes or hypoglycemia), no it doesn't matter when you eat your calories. I personally must spread my food out or my blood sugars drop to dangerous levels (I'm hypoglycemic). If you can't get close to your calorie goal (to few calories) because you have too many to eat at dinner you can add a snack or two. Or add a more calorie dense food to one or two of your meals.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options

Absolutely.

I went near 27 years of my life eating one and only one meal a day. Not a problem in the world ... except a 2 pounds a year, year over year weight gain - but that was a function of how much I was eating, not when or how often.

• reemslaw
    reemslaw Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

you do what works for you but there's no science behind meal timing

Well, there is. But its largely irrelevant unless you're looking to get down to a ridiculously low BF%.