Coffee Withdrawals

Options
I used to be addicted to caffeine, more so coffee in the mornings to help me. It has been a month since I last had coffee, and I am struggling. I really want to give in and have some but I have been doing so good. I am proud of myself and do not want to lose momentum in changing my habits. I was thinking about rewarding myself with a new shaker or something like that so it would keep me going. I figured I could reward myself but not with food because I am trying to lose weight.

Replies

• pittjenn
    pittjenn Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    How about tea? If you really want to avoid caffeine entirely, there are plenty of herbal teas out there.

I am a HUGE coffee drinker, and feel no regrets about it, but I'm working on replacing my afternoon coffee with green tea instead.
  • PositivelyFlawed
    PositivelyFlawed Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I feel ya. I am down to one coffee a day and i think i'll stick with t hat. It's my one pleasure when I'm up for work before the sun!
  • Ellaskat
    Ellaskat Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I've been on and off coffee a few times; the last time i was caffeine free for about 3 years. I now let myself have 1 1/2 cups of coffee in the morning, and I drink herbal tea ALL DAY LONG - I'm actually making a pot in my office right now. If I'm really dragging in the afternoon, and an apple or orange doesn't help me wake up (they both do help) I allow myself a light cup of green tea. I do my workouts at 5:50 am, so that coffee helps me get started:)
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Are you giving up coffee for a medical/health reason? I have 1 - 2 cups a day - every day - I enjoy it too much to give it up!
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I was a hard core coffee drinker for years until I had some weird heart fluctuations and stopped drinking coffee because I thought it might be an issue. I was surprised that I didn't have a major withdraw, only felt a little wonky the first day. Now that I don't "need" it, I only have it on the weekends.
  • juniebug2013
    juniebug2013 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    A world without coffee is a world I don't want to live in. What is your motivation for cutting it out of your diet completely?
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    If you WANT to give up coffee, more power to you and good luck. I gave it up for a few weeks this summer for a backpacking trip. Weaned off in a few days. I was pretty happy to get back into it after the trip was done, though.

I personally don't want to give it up permanently, and I find it's helpful to have as a means to control my weight: I can always grab a cup of coffee instead of a snack.
  • SwankyTomato
    SwankyTomato Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I can't do it. I am with you juniebug2013.
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends why you're giving up coffee? If it's for calories or health, coffe in itself is close to calorie free..you can make subsitutions when it comes to sugar or creamer, and still get the kick. My bf drinks coffee with splenda every morning, less than 5 calories for his two cups.

If it's for caffeine content, I feel your pain. I had to give up caffeine for health reasons, and I find herbal teas (while not the best replacement cravings wise) eventually came to fill the void. I now drink herbal tea nonsweetened and I think the heat of the drink helps trigger that I've fulfilled a craving more than the caffeine. After the initial headaches subsided, that is.
  • jahalme
    Options
    I'm a huge coffee drinker, and its something I refuse to give up completely (so good for you for getting this far with it! I did cut back though. I switched my after lunch coffee with green tea and it does make me feel a little bit better about not having it. I feel like the wholesome feeling of enjoying a hot cup of something is what I enjoy the most, but I will always love coffee more than tea.

I'm with you! I've cut out some coffee and replaced it with green tea. Did you know if you add a squirt of lemon juice to green tea your body will absorb about 3x as many antioxidants? I do it everytime now since I read that :) tastes great too.
  • prestigio
    prestigio Posts: 181 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I've (largely) cut out coffee as well. I only have 1 cup of coffee in the weekend before a workout.
    Mainly I've been drinking herbal tea's instead (and lots of water)
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Hmm, both caffeine and coffee have proven health benefits, I'm honestly not sure why you want to give it up. If it's a calorie thing, use lower calorie add ins, or just drink it black.
  • bethfartman
    bethfartman Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Quitting drinking coffee daily (all day) was one of the hardest things I ever had to do, much harder than quitting smoking IMO. I didn't touch caffeine at all for a while after I went though a week of headaches and nausea detox, but now I'll have a cup on the weekends if I want to stay up late. It is nice to be able to have a little coffee now and have it really work (as opposed to drinking a half a pot and still being able to fall asleep an hour later.) Sorry, I completely empathize, but I don't have any advice- you're over the physical withdrawal part at this point, so it's all mental now.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    For what it is worth, I never did feel right after trying to quit caffeine. Seriously! I got over the headaches and what have you, but my BRAIN never seems to function as fluidly as it does when I am drinking some coffee. (A cup a day is okay, mind)
  • Krock83
    Krock83 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I used to drink a boatload of coffee and had a bear of a time giving it up. The migraines and sluggishness definitely passed after a while though. I stick with one cup in the morning and none some days and I definitely feel better for it. I don't know that I could quit altogether though! Good luck :)
  • TasnimEz
    TasnimEz Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    It can take weeks. Took a long time for me to feel normal again after quitting. I had to for health reasons but it wasn't easy.. Just keep going..
  • alankie
    alankie Posts: 19
    Options
    A world without coffee is a world I don't want to live in. What is your motivation for cutting it out of your diet completely?

I agree! I love even just the smell of coffee and I didn't ever see coffee as a bad thing!?
  • dizzzigrl
    dizzzigrl Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I gave up coffee before Christmas, I realized that I was wasting over 200 calories a day on creamer! I switched over to hot tea and I like it better anyway! Good luck!
  • RadiantChange
    RadiantChange Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I drink Yerba Mate Tea...It has some caffeine but half of coffee, good for your heart as well.
    "Proponents of yerba mate say that it can relieve fatigue, promote weight loss, ease depression, and help treat headaches and various other conditions." All the best to you for whatever reasons you are giving up coffee.