I have a date at a restaurant -HELP

Hello!!

I have been working hard to lose weight and so far things have been going great for me. My efforts are starting to pay off, to the point where I was even asked out on a date! My date is tonight and I'm excited but it's at a restaurant and I have been staying away from those lately! He chose the place and I really enjoy the fact that he took the initiative to find a nice place for us. The only problem is that the restaurant he picked is known for brewing their own beer and the food is mostly steaks and burgers. The salads on the menu don't seem interesting. I cut it down to two choices and I need your help to pick which one won't cause too much damage. One of the choices is grilled chicken served with vegetables and rice. Second choice is a pizza on flat bread. No meat, sundried tomatoes and cheese. I believe that I can ask for the flat bread to be whole wheat but I'm not too sure. Both meals look huge on the website...
If anyone can help me out with this I would really appreciate it! Thank you!!

Replies

• Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    Hard to go wrong with grilled chicken and veggies > pizza if you're trying to cut back on calories.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    not even a question if you're sweating it chicken and veggies. ask for them to go light on any sauce or butters- and if it comes iwth salad and a dressing- to put the dressing on the side.

I'd also ask for a second serving of veggies instead of rice- but I don't like rice that much and to me it's worth it to enjoy my food and not look like a food snob.

Don't sweat it- it's a date- have a good time.
  • Thanks!!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Have a good time!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    I'd personally have a steak with vegetables, and I'd agree on two servings of veggies; rice is not always entertaining to me.

And some steaks are huge, so you can always take some home for leftovers.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,959 Member
    walterc7 wrote: »
    Hard to go wrong with grilled chicken and veggies > pizza if you're trying to cut back on calories.

Definitely chicken. You'll still be hungry after that pizza. You could just eat half of the rice and box the rest up.
  • JoRocka
    auddii wrote: »
    I'd personally have a steak with vegetables, and I'd agree on two servings of veggies; rice is not always entertaining to me.

That's what I would have said- but she already narrowed down to chicken. I kind of hate wasting "over" calories on chicken. I'd rather have a steak.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    I'd say enjoy yourself and eat what you want. If you go to a steak place and just eat a salad, I'd have to think you'd be a boring dinner date all the time. Jus account for that meal and enjoy yourself
  • trying4real
    trying4real Posts: 113 Member
    Ha!, I would go with the steak also if thats what you enjoy most. You don't always have to eat the sides that comes with it. Eat half and take half home, that is normally what I do.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    JoRocka wrote: »

That's what I would have said- but she already narrowed down to chicken. I kind of hate wasting "over" calories on chicken. I'd rather have a steak.

Yeah, I was just kind of throwing it out there just because people always make the assumption that "chicken is better" for whatever reason. If it's because the OP love chicken, great, but I wouldn't deny myself just for the few calories, or fat, or whatever reason steak is bad.

Also, and this is rather personal to me, the worst dates I've had with my boyfriend is when I have sad food in front of me. My whole mood changes. He still laughs whenever we drive by a restaurant where I had a bad experience. Of course, we'd been dating a while too. And my boyfriend has learned that there is nothing worse than a sad salad...
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Order whatever you feel is appetizing, then eat SLOWLY with small bites. Drink lots of water and then take home whatever you can't finish. There shouldn't be anything wrong with eating steak or chicken. It should be what you prefer. Steam your veggies though (it will save the bit of oil to grill them up).
  • Thank you all for your comments!
    I try to steer away from red meat, which is why I cut it down to chicken or vegetarian pizza. I really appreciate the comments, chicken it is!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka wrote: »

Yeah, I was just kind of throwing it out there just because people always make the assumption that "chicken is better" for whatever reason. If it's because the OP love chicken, great, but I wouldn't deny myself just for the few calories, or fat, or whatever reason steak is bad.

Also, and this is rather personal to me, the worst dates I've had with my boyfriend is when I have sad food in front of me. My whole mood changes. He still laughs whenever we drive by a restaurant where I had a bad experience. Of course, we'd been dating a while too. And my boyfriend has learned that there is nothing worse than a sad salad...

YES.
    YES.
    YES.

When we go to all you can eat brazillian- I often will decline wine (budget issues on my part- and since he pays I try to be cognizant)- and then we spend 10 min in this hushed whispering half fight about the damn 7$ glass of wine- it's one of the few places I go where I order wine- which I really like with my steak- and since it' all you can eat- it's sad to have that and no wine. So he usually talks me into it.

It's comical- I have gotten really fussy over bad food- it does- it's so annoying to have a sh!tty plate of food in front of you and not enjoy it.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    If I take someone to a BBQ, steak, burger etc... place and my date orders a salad. There's a good chance there will not be a 2nd date.
  • MelAb8709
    MelAb8709 Posts: 140 Member
    Chicken or steak and veggies - I wouldn't go too crazy with substitutions/special requests, if you like this guy he may think you're high maintenance if you go in there all hold the butter, no rice, no bread, don't cook in oil, steam my veggies, etc. Not on a first date ... Hopefully the date is going so well that eating slowly (cuz you're chatting) and stopping at half is easy!
  • radmack
    radmack Posts: 272 Member
    edited January 2015
    Filet is a good choice for steak and very yummy.
  • GreenValli
    GreenValli Posts: 1,054 Member
    edited January 2015
    I agree with trying4real, eat half and take half home. Ask for a "to-go" container when your meal is served, since you know restaurant meals are too big already. You may feel less uncomfortable since it is a date if you say something like, "Oh, I did not think the servings would be this large. I don't usually eat this much for dinner. Could I have a to-go container?" Steak or chicken both seem like good options to me with vegetables.

And good for you for planning ahead and posting to get some ideas to help you. Have a great time!
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Steak and veggies for me too! I eat chicken enough as it is....
  • Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    Sad food makes me sad! When I go out to eat, I may not eat all my dinner, but what I do eat is delicious and flavorful. OP, have a good time and enjoy yourself. Just think in terms of portion control!
  • zipa78
    zipa78 Posts: 354 Member
    It's one dinner. It does not matter what you eat. Order six servings of ice cream if you want to. It simply doesn't matter. As long as it doesn't push you over the edge onto a six week binge-eating splurge, of course... :smile: