I have a date at a restaurant -HELP

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    If I take someone to a BBQ, steak, burger etc... place and my date orders a salad. There's a good chance there will not be a 2nd date.

On our first date, my (now) boyfriend took me to a steakhouse, and he ordered ahi tuna, which was six small slices on a small bed of rice. I ordered this which is carved table side:
    perrypork-thumb%20%281%29.jpg

I gave him some, and we both still took some home. Time and time again, he has learned the fact that I order better things off the menu...
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    auddii wrote: »
    If I take someone to a BBQ, steak, burger etc... place and my date orders a salad. There's a good chance there will not be a 2nd date.

On our first date, my (now) boyfriend took me to a steakhouse, and he ordered ahi tuna, which was six small slices on a small bed of rice. I ordered this which is carved table side:

I gave him some, and we both still took some home. Time and time again, he has learned the fact that I order better things off the menu...

I think I love you.
  • ttcbelieve
    ttcbelieve Posts: 181 Member
    Steak and Veggies
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    I would order a burger and fries and a beer. Guys love to see women eat once in a while.

There's plenty of time for dieting. Live it up a little.
  • verymissk
    verymissk Posts: 262 Member

Amen. I order what I think sounds delicious, and I eat slowly and politely and enjoy the date. Because first impressions are important, and I want my date to know that I will throw down some steak and beer when the time calls for it.
  • Khukhullatus
    Khukhullatus Posts: 361 Member
    If there was ever a time not to lose sleep over an extra beer, it's on a date. Don't go crazy, just do the best you can and make sure to stay on track tomorrow. Don't let a bad dinner turn into a bad week.
  • Cardio4Cupcakes
    Cardio4Cupcakes Posts: 289 Member
    I think it's great that you're planning ahead, but I would give yourself some slack for tonight. I'm not saying go hog wild, but a brewery date usually implies a beer tasting of some sort. Don't be afraid to agree to sharing an appetizer. One meal didn't cause you to gain all the weight you're trying to lose, and one meal won't derail you as long as you keep your mind right, which definitely seems to be the case.
  • zipa78
    zipa78 Posts: 354 Member
    JoRocka wrote: »
    auddii wrote: »

I think I love you.

Me too.
  • 1HappyRedhead
    1HappyRedhead Posts: 413 Member
    To me, the most important thing you're doing is deciding in advance. I try to decide in advance by looking at the menu online, then refuse a menu at the restaurant....that way I'm not tempted to stray from my choice. Then, even if you end up eating the entire meal, you know what your calorie count will be. The importance of this was evident when I chose fish & veggies and my date chose a salad, "because he was trying to eat healthier". I had already seen in advance that there were 4500 calories in that salad!! Needless to say, I was glad I'd made my decision before I got there. :smile:
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    I would order whatever sounds tastiest. Take half home if you need to. If you're in this for the long haul, you're going to have to figure out how to navigate restaurants and eat reasonable amounts of food you really enjoy. I eat chicken and veggies far too many nights a week to get it in a restaurant, I would at least enjoy the pizza and a beer... One night won't ruin all your hard work. (Oh, fair warning: odds are that no matter what you eat, you'll be up a pound or two tomorrow. There will be more sodium than usual in your food, and you will probably retain water. It will go away, so don't freak out!)
  • zipa78
    zipa78 Posts: 354 Member
    I had already seen in advance that there were 4500 calories in that salad!!

This can't be right. That's more calories than in a pound of butter.
  • 1HappyRedhead
    1HappyRedhead Posts: 413 Member
    zipa78 wrote: »
    I had already seen in advance that there were 4500 calories in that salad!!

This can't be right. That's more calories than in a pound of butter.

That's what their website showed..... ?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited January 2015

Why? Steak salad is delicious. And probably twice the calories of chicken and veggies anyway (so I got to laugh about people always assuming that salad = diet food).

But yeah, I'd probably get steak and veggies (or yeah, chicken rice and veggies). Then I'd probably give a very bad impression because I don't drink alcohol (just REALLY not worth the calories for me).

I'd be tempted to just say 'whatever, it's just one night', but then if there are more dates, it's not going to be a long term solution... so maybe giving the 'I don't care about what I eat' impression isn't really the answer either, IMO, if you're trying to lose weight. I know I wouldn't be put off at all if a guy who is a bit chubby that I like enough to go on a date with told me he's trying to lose weight.

• NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Steak and veggie or chicken and veggie would be my choices. Just stick with the right portion (and cut of meat). There usually is always a “petite” cut and that is what I order.

The killer can sometimes be the salad dressings, butter / condiments / rolls etc. I’d either just use a bit of balsamic vinegar – or at least stay away from cream-based dressings.

I always google a restaurants nutritional guide and have choices clearly in mind. That way I don’t reference weight, dieting etc. I merely say what I am “in the mood for.”

Bon Appétit

73641431.png
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Just relax and enjoy yourself! It's possible that you can order whatever you feel like and just wach your portions.

Oh and don't just order a salad/veggies and a glass of water. Dudes hate that!
  • aplcr0331
    aplcr0331 Posts: 186 Member

What if she puts out?
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    edited January 2015
    I hate it when guys ask you out and then don't have a plan. A guy who has an idea is always better than one who forces you to pick, IMO. Hate the "Want to go out?" Yes! "Okay, plan it," approach.

Get what you want. If you want to indulge,but not too much, have some veggies before you go. If you want to go with chicken and veggies, yay that. Make up your mind and then forget about it and have some fun. Fun is the point of a date. :)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »

Why? Steak salad is delicious. And probably twice the calories of chicken and veggies anyway (so I got to laugh about people always assuming that salad = diet food).

But yeah, I'd probably get steak and veggies (or yeah, chicken rice and veggies). Then I'd probably give a very bad impression because I don't drink alcohol (just REALLY not worth the calories for me).

I'd be tempted to just say 'whatever, it's just one night', but then if there are more dates, it's not going to be a long term solution... so maybe giving the 'I don't care about what I eat' impression isn't really the answer either, IMO, if you're trying to lose weight. I know I wouldn't be put off at all if a guy who is a bit chubby that I like enough to go on a date with told me he's trying to lose weight.

as delicious as salads ARE... and as delicious as steak salad is.. .if someone takes me pointedly to a steak/burger place- then yes- I'm ordering a steak... not a steak salad.
    -
    Steak salad is for when you have to go out- but don't really want to waste the calories. Steak is for when you have to go out- and don't want to buy a crappy steak but can't stomaach another bite of chicken.

It's good. really- I support that notion.

But if I'm going to some place that sells good steaks- and someone turns their nose up at THAT... that might be an indication.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Kalikel wrote: »
    I hate it when guys ask you out and then don't have a plan. A guy who has an idea is always better than one who forces you to pick, IMO. Hate the "Want to go out?" Yes! "Okay, plan it," approach.

Get what you want. If you want to indulge,but not too much, have some veggies before you go. If you want to go with chicken and veggies, yay that. Make up your mind and then forget about it and have some fun. Fun is the point of a date. :)

To be fair, most of us guys expect to be rejected and we are bad at planning ahead. We don't even realize that, "yeah!" is even an option for the girl. We then will panic and take you to McDonald's and let you order off the dollar menu.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Kalikel wrote: »

To be fair, most of us guys expect to be rejected and we are bad at planning ahead. We don't even realize that, "yeah!" is even an option for the girl. We then will panic and take you to McDonald's and let you order off the dollar menu.

Have we dated? I think we must have...