I have a date at a restaurant -HELP

Replies

• JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    aplcr0331 wrote: »
    If I take someone to a BBQ, steak, burger etc... place and my date orders a salad. There's a good chance there will not be a 2nd date.

What if she puts out?

Might not get that far. Put it this way, if we are at a good BBQ place and I'm getting my rib on, I'm going to be a bit put off-ish of she orders a Ceasar salad with no dressing. If you're THAT uptight about food on a date, then I can't see her flashing the goods later on. I dunno, maybe she would put out. Again, I dunno and I'm not sure if I'd want to either.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    JoRocka wrote: »
    not even a question if you're sweating it chicken and veggies. ask for them to go light on any sauce or butters- and if it comes iwth salad and a dressing- to put the dressing on the side.

I'd also ask for a second serving of veggies instead of rice- but I don't like rice that much and to me it's worth it to enjoy my food and not look like a food snob.

Don't sweat it- it's a date- have a good time.

I agree with this answer. Relax, eat till your full, then stop. Cleaning your plate at a restaurant is not required (but it's okay if you want to).
  • funfang
    funfang Posts: 200 Member
    auddii wrote: »
    If I take someone to a BBQ, steak, burger etc... place and my date orders a salad. There's a good chance there will not be a 2nd date.

On our first date, my (now) boyfriend took me to a steakhouse, and he ordered ahi tuna, which was six small slices on a small bed of rice. I ordered this which is carved table side:
    perrypork-thumb%20%281%29.jpg

I gave him some, and we both still took some home. Time and time again, he has learned the fact that I order better things off the menu...

I think I love you.

me too

I would totally order that if I go on a date! I don't often go out to eat so if I do, I make sure I enjoy the food and order what I usually don't have. I will be very very very cranky if I have sad food out ( oh, my husband learned that in the hard way :p )

It's a date! relax and enjoy, have fun!
  • punchgut
    punchgut Posts: 210 Member
    Don't stress about this. One meal is not going to hurt and it's way more important that you have a good time. Remember that stress will cause issues with weight loss. Destress and have fun. Besides, if you're having fun he'll have fun. If you're having a stressful time, you'll both stress out. Don't stress out.
  • Thank you all for your responses I truly appreciate it. BBQ Chicken /veggies/rice did it for me, I didn't stress over it and the date went really well. I didn't look like a health freak, and the food was far from sad :)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    smoreault wrote: »
    Thank you all for your responses I truly appreciate it. BBQ Chicken /veggies/rice did it for me, I didn't stress over it and the date went really well. I didn't look like a health freak, and the food was far from sad :)

You know- I was hoping you were going to post a follow up.

So the question is.... is there a second date in the works???!?!?!?!
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Hello!!

I have been working hard to lose weight and so far things have been going great for me. My efforts are starting to pay off, to the point where I was even asked out on a date! My date is tonight and I'm excited but it's at a restaurant and I have been staying away from those lately! He chose the place and I really enjoy the fact that he took the initiative to find a nice place for us. The only problem is that the restaurant he picked is known for brewing their own beer and the food is mostly steaks and burgers. The salads on the menu don't seem interesting. I cut it down to two choices and I need your help to pick which one won't cause too much damage. One of the choices is grilled chicken served with vegetables and rice. Second choice is a pizza on flat bread. No meat, sundried tomatoes and cheese. I believe that I can ask for the flat bread to be whole wheat but I'm not too sure. Both meals look huge on the website...
    If anyone can help me out with this I would really appreciate it! Thank you!!

I recommend you order whatever you think will taste better (and include a beer if you so desire) and try to have fun! You can adjust your calorie/macro targets on the day before/after the date if necessary to compensate.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member

^This is why I was nervous for a date I had on Monday.
    I like salad and tend to order it out since I don't make salads at home much.
    I wasn't feeling a burger that day either. I ended up with some quinoa/kale/roasted veggies/shrimp dish. I hate kale and it wasn't the worst part of that dish lol. (I ended up eating a salad at lunch that day too lol)
    We split a molten lava cake
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    zipa78 wrote: »
    I had already seen in advance that there were 4500 calories in that salad!!

This can't be right. That's more calories than in a pound of butter.

That's what their website showed..... ?

What restaurant?
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Based on what you've narrowed it down to I don't see an issue with the grilled chicken and veggies. If you don't want the rice then just ask them to double up on the vegetable serving. I've been doing that at restaurants when one of the other side choices is a starch.
  • goddessofawesome

What if that's what she truly wants? There are some salads on menus that look absolutely amazing and are big enough to be a meal.

And what if she doesn't eat steak? I would honestly hope that you would know what your date likes prior to picking out a restaurant.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Glad the date went well and the food was good!
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member

What if that's what she truly wants? There are some salads on menus that look absolutely amazing and are big enough to be a meal.

And what if she doesn't eat steak? I would honestly hope that you would know what your date likes prior to picking out a restaurant.

I'm kind of with Jeff on this one (unless it is truly an amazing salad).

I'm a major foodie. I love going to new restaurants and trying new, adventurous things. It's a big part of my life, so my partner will have to be open to it as well. I will never date a picky eater.

But, these differences are what make the world go 'round. :smile:
  • goddessofawesome
    PRMinx wrote: »

I'm a major foodie. I love going to new restaurants and trying new, adventurous things. It's a big part of my life, so my partner will have to be open to it as well. I will never date a picky eater.

I don't see how not liking steak would make someone a picky eater. I know people who don't like pork or chicken.

I try new foods and the like as well but if I were going out on a first date with someone I'd make sure I knew their likes and dislikes. I mean, if they absolutely hated fish -- I have a friend who won't eat fish. It's a texture thing with her -- then I obviously wouldn't take them to a sushi place for dinner. I suppose that was the point of my second comment.

(Mind you, I absolutely LOVE steak so this is a non-issue to me)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member

I don't see how not liking steak would make someone a picky eater. I know people who don't like pork or chicken.

I try new foods and the like as well but if I were going out on a first date with someone I'd make sure I knew their likes and dislikes. I mean, if they absolutely hated fish -- I have a friend who won't eat fish. It's a texture thing with her -- then I obviously wouldn't take them to a sushi place for dinner. I suppose that was the point of my second comment.

I think if you take someone to a place where there is a variety of food- and the best they come up with is a ceasar salad- then perhaps- it's an issue.

I'm not willing to scrap a date/opinion of someone based one single food choice- but if meats are on the table (i.e someone isnt' vegan/vegetarian) and they go for an anemic salad at a really decent meat/steak house- it's going to raise an eyebrow.

I'm not a die hard foodie- but I know meats are a center of my meals- and I love steak- and while I get there is (esp as a woman) this issue- of do I eat a real full meal- and risk looking like the fat kid- verses eating a salad and risk looking like someone who eats like a bird.

It's totally a catch 22.. I personally run the risk of looking like a fat kid- but I like food- and I also don't care what people think of me- I'm obviously NOT fat- but still I eat like a fat kid.
  • PRMinx

I think if you take someone to a place where there is a variety of food- and the best they come up with is a ceasar salad- then perhaps- it's an issue.

I'm not willing to scrap a date/opinion of someone based one single food choice- but if meats are on the table (i.e someone isnt' vegan/vegetarian) and they go for an anemic salad at a really decent meat/steak house- it's going to raise an eyebrow.

I'm not a die hard foodie- but I know meats are a center of my meals- and I love steak- and while I get there is (esp as a woman) this issue- of do I eat a real full meal- and risk looking like the fat kid- verses eating a salad and risk looking like someone who eats like a bird.

It's totally a catch 22.. I personally run the risk of looking like a fat kid- but I like food- and I also don't care what people think of me- I'm obviously NOT fat- but still I eat like a fat kid.

Yep, this is what I meant. If you are at an awesome restaurant and you order the ceaser salad, it's probably not going to work out.

If you are a vegan, vegetarian or pescatarian or you label yourself as any kind of "arian"- even if you are really just a normal omnivore - it's probably not going to work out.

With me. Because meal sharing and exploring is important to me.

But, that doesn't mean I'm judging you as a person or criticizing your choices - it just means that we probably don't have a lot in common.

Although I might judge you if you are an omnivore and go around calling yourself a flexitarian. Because stupid is stupid.
  • usflygirl55
    usflygirl55 Posts: 277 Member
    Thank you all for your responses I truly appreciate it. BBQ Chicken /veggies/rice did it for me, I didn't stress over it and the date went really well. I didn't look like a health freak, and the food was far from sad :)

You know- I was hoping you were going to post a follow up.

So the question is.... is there a second date in the works???!?!?!?!

Yes, so glad you posted a follow up. Will there be a second date?
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member

Glad I didn't have to say it.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Kalikel wrote: »
    I hate it when guys ask you out and then don't have a plan. A guy who has an idea is always better than one who forces you to pick, IMO. Hate the "Want to go out?" Yes! "Okay, plan it," approach.

Get what you want. If you want to indulge,but not too much, have some veggies before you go. If you want to go with chicken and veggies, yay that. Make up your mind and then forget about it and have some fun. Fun is the point of a date. :)

To be fair, most of us guys expect to be rejected and we are bad at planning ahead. We don't even realize that, "yeah!" is even an option for the girl. We then will panic and take you to McDonald's and let you order off the dollar menu.

Back when I was a dj, I'd basically plan out dates, get reservations, have a friend set me up at a club, etc. Then once set, I'd ask gals out. Smart ones said yes, ones destined to boring lives didn't. lol. The approach was, the experience > the person being dated, and it was a little funny as an approach but I'll be damned if it didn't work bomber.
  • PRMinx
    dbmata wrote: »
    Kalikel wrote: »
    I hate it when guys ask you out and then don't have a plan. A guy who has an idea is always better than one who forces you to pick, IMO. Hate the "Want to go out?" Yes! "Okay, plan it," approach.

Get what you want. If you want to indulge,but not too much, have some veggies before you go. If you want to go with chicken and veggies, yay that. Make up your mind and then forget about it and have some fun. Fun is the point of a date. :)

To be fair, most of us guys expect to be rejected and we are bad at planning ahead. We don't even realize that, "yeah!" is even an option for the girl. We then will panic and take you to McDonald's and let you order off the dollar menu.

Back when I was a dj, I'd basically plan out dates, get reservations, have a friend set me up at a club, etc. Then once set, I'd ask gals out. Smart ones said yes, ones destined to boring lives didn't. lol. The approach was, the experience > the person being dated, and it was a little funny as an approach but I'll be damned if it didn't work bomber.

LOLz.

giphy.gif