Children grown off to college... My Time!

Options
Need to lose 20 stubborn pounds!! Not as easy as I thought it would be. Children out of the house too easy to munch!!

Replies

• Zinka61
    Zinka61 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Mine are mostly out of the house, too, but I find it harder when they are around. My son likes frozen pizza, and I keep telling him to put it on a platter and go hide in his room with it because I can't resist. My daughter is a healthy eater, but she loves to cook, so there is always too much around. Now you can clean out the cupboards and have what you want in the house...unless your husband is like mine. Temptation on all sides! But this site has made a difference to me. I started 19 days ago with a goal of losing 29 lbs and I've already taken 7 off. And I feel better than I have in years. Making friends makes a big difference, especially if you open your food diary to them.
  • susanb573
    susanb573 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Our last two are juniors in high school. I have found working out much more doable for me than dieting. I like my chocolate and would rather run daily than give it up.
  • joanthemom8
    joanthemom8 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I love my children, but I know that once they are grown I will have more time to workout. Right now, I can only get to the gym at 4:30 or 5 in the morning -- before they get up, before work, school, etc. So, even though I don't want them to grow up, I know it will be easier for me.....kinda looking forward to that time, too.
  • mamacoates
    mamacoates Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Welcome NIX13s! I have been on this sight for a year and a half. Great tools, great accountability partners if you are ready to put the time and energy in towards better health.

I am your age, and my kiddos are 17 and 19. Definitely an advantage when your children are a bit more independent. Through consistently logging in MFP every day, and keeping my commitment to better nutrition and upping my exercise goals, I have lost 35+ lbs (3 pant sizes) and still working towards more. SO I KNOW women our age can do this!! :)

Feel free to check out my profile and add me if you'd like, but no pity parties from this corner. Expect some kicks in the pants to keep going toward successful!

To help you get started on the right track, read this article by a couple of longtime MFP'ers. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants. Good luck and welcome! Hope to get to know you here and see your progress!!
  • mamacoates
    Options
    P.S. With the kiddos out of the house it is time to clean out the cupboards and the fridge. Out with the old and in with the new. I'd be happy to give you lots of ideas for healthy smoothies, and such!!
  • Nix13s
    Nix13s Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi Mamacoates! I'd love the ideas and any info you're willing to share! Online community is still new to me... But now I have plenty of time to get familiar! Thanks!!
  • Nix13s
    Options
    Hi Sprepej! Seven pounds sounds pretty good to me 19 days! I am guilty of snacking
  • Nix13s
    Options
    Hi susanb573! I need some of you exercise mojo! Use to love working out when I was younger now it seems like punishment. I know I must commit to some type of exercise to help with the stubborn pounds... I guess I just need to find the right exercise!
  • Zinka61
    Zinka61 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I don't feel too guilty about snacking at the moment. Even if I go over my goal, I can see that I'm not eating enough to gain weight back. Sometimes a little snack will prevent a big binge later. If you are looking for friends to share ideas with, feel free to add me. The weird thing is I'm starting to get used to eating less, and I'm loving it!
  • Nix13s
    Options
    Hi joanthemom8! I love love love the little people! Love experiencing all things new with them! If I knew then what I know now I would have been even more active while my son was younger. My husband would most times drive activities to keep the two of them active in sports. I feel cheated now bc they look great and I have the work to do now.. But I'm determined
  • mamacoates
    Options
    Awesome Nix! Add me to your friends list to stay in contact. :)
  • Nix13s
    Options
    Ok great! I need friends. But I have to figure out how to add them first! I'm at work now but will have time to work it out this evening (est)