"Clean" vs "junk" food while bulking

Options
Do you guys eat "clean" for your bulks or do you incorporate junk food treats daily? I don't want to start a clean vs dirty food, and I'm well aware of IIFYM and the ability to fit whatever food you want into your diet. I'm just wondering how you guys do it.

Personally, I'm bulking at about a pound a week and have had to resort to junk food most days as I can't reach my calorie goal through "clean" foods. I enjoy eating healthy and resorting to junk all the time is not fun but I'd rather make progress than be stuck forever small.

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    You're basically doing it right, it sounds.
  • beastcompany
    beastcompany Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to start a debate, and understand the concept of flexible dieting PROPERLY, than there really shouldn't be any debate anyways.

Rule of thumb, if you still think it's "Junk Food", you don't really understand the process.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to start a debate, and understand the concept of flexible dieting PROPERLY, than there really shouldn't be any debate anyways.

Rule of thumb, if you still think it's "Junk Food", you don't really understand the process.

truth.
  • AKDonF
    AKDonF Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    +2
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

agree...

end this now
  • ndj1979
    Options
    OP - I will leave at this ...overall diet, context, and dosage is what matters. If you are hitting your calorie/macro/micro target for the day then individual food choice does not matter...
    -
    and good luck trying to bulk on chicken and vegetables....
  • zipa78
    zipa78 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I've never had any problems stuffing proper food down my throat, but I know that some people do find it hard.

First, I'd like to know what you mean by "junk food"?

Second, I would personally drink my calories if I had a hard time eating them all. Whole milk, whey and instant oats, add a splash of vegetable oil if you really need them calories. While that cocktail isn't super healthy as such (it lacks pretty much all micronutrients), at least it is "clean", i.e. there's nothing bad in it.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I find it very hard myself to get enough calories in without adding some junk, so yes I usually do have at least some foods each day that aren't really "clean".
  • jbgolf52
    jbgolf52 Posts: 210 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I find it very hard myself to get enough calories in without adding some junk, so yes I usually do have at least some foods each day that aren't really "clean".

You should be banned for wasting people's time in your thread.

My original question was how do you guys do it? I put quotes around the words clean and junk because no one food is healthy/unhealthy in the overall context of your diet. I know about IIFYM and have been around the scene for some time now. I'm not looking for a definition or to ask if how I'm doing it is right or not, just looking for how you guys do it, that's all.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    how do I do it?

quick and dirty....

oreos + ice cream

and snickers.
    obviously snickers.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

Why are you here? You aren't even bulking or never have.
    jbgolf52 wrote:
    I was simply answering the question, not trying to bring the stuff from my own thread into this thread. I am in the process of beginning a slow bulk.

• jbgolf52
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    how do I do it?

quick and dirty....

oreos + ice cream

and snickers.
    obviously snickers.

Hah nice. This is what I was looking for, not a debate about clean vs dirty food. I eat primarily healthy but throw in some junk to hit my goal whenever my appetite fails me.
  • jbgolf52
    Options
    In the process of beginning slow bulk. It sound even more dumb as I type it out.

You don't have the right to answer questions regarding bulking.

Never knew it takes longer than a week to eat one calorie above maintenance.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I'm slow bulking as well. I have figured that .25lbs/week of muscle and fat is about the top end of my clean bulk range and seems to be giving me around 75%-80% muscle gains as far as I can tell right now.

Most of my diet is "clean" but I will fill with Big Macs, cheese cake, Bacon McDoubles, ice cream, and Captain Crunch etc depending on what I need to fill out my macro and caloric requirements at the end of the day.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I probably don't have the right to post here but when I eventually do my first bulk (still getting my BF down a bit right now), I'm heading STRAIGHT FOR THE NACHOS AND KRAFT DINNER (might even replace the milk with butter only... heh heh). Though honestly, I'm sure it'll be a mix of "clean and junk" since, as a woman, my maintenance isn't going to be as high as a man's but I know I can pack it in reeeaaal good.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    how do I do it?

quick and dirty....

oreos + ice cream

and snickers.
    obviously snickers.

oh really.... >:)
  • ndj1979
    Options

Why are you here? You aren't even bulking or never have.
    jbgolf52 wrote:
    I was simply answering the question, not trying to bring the stuff from my own thread into this thread. I am in the process of beginning a slow bulk.

LOL

what does "in the process of beginning a slow bulk" even mean???????????

just start eating more and lifting more, process over

if your process is as long as your "slow bulk" then this is going to be the longest slow bulk in the history of bulking...
  • lyzxyzzy
    lyzxyzzy Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I've always wanted to eat cake frosting straight. Now I do.