I just did half a push up!

Options
2»

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Good for you (in so many ways)!! Pushups are hard. Even harder when you are overweight (talking about myself here).
  • lissajoswaim
    lissajoswaim Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Ok, so now I feel a little better. I was thinking that I was the only one not doing this whole fitness thing. I recently had an eye opener, a week ago, I went to Arrowhead Stadium with the fam. for a Chiefs game. Our seats were not quite in the nose bleed section, more like the "wow this is really up here" section. I went to the wrong one and climbed the stairs about half way up on the upper deck, figured out that I was in the wrong place, then went back down, thinking, "Oh My I gotta climb those again." After I started the ascend to back up, about row 20 I was thinking, "Oh this is not good, I'm winded." Once arriving at our row 35, I embarrassingly admit that I was really sucking air for a few minutes until I caught my breath. The walk to the end of the parking lot wasn't so bad, but it wasn't up hill. I've had that moment when you really take a look at yourself and think "I have neglected myself too long. It's time." Wish me luck, your push up story gave me a grin as I realized I'm not the only one.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    RachelSD7 wrote: »
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    Awesome! I've been trying and failing to do pushups for ages, so just last week I decided to start using the counter. I realized that my chest was never engaging before and I was only using my shoulders, so I'm really hopeful that I'll be right behind you!!

Wait, your chest is supposed to be helping?! Well, I never! Maybe that's where we're going wrong! I've seen a definite muscle increase in my arms since starting the kitchen counter routine, so it does help (even if I'm doing it slightly wrong)
    Off to find a youtube vid, methinks :o

Please let me know if you find out differently lol, I don't want to continue with bad info :)
  • RachelSD7
    RachelSD7 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Awesome sauce, Rachel! I get it, girl. Thought I would never be able to push through 1 stinkin push-up! Grrrr... Now I can do 5. Oh yeah! And yesterday, I did 2 (TWO) chin-ups! Seriously, I still can't quite believe it. It took me 7 months to do 1 chin-up.
    (/)(\)(/)(\)(/)(/) *** Happy Dance!***

Chin ups are insane! You should all be so proud!
  • BraveNewdGirl
    BraveNewdGirl Posts: 937 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Congratulations! I think it's really exceptional that you're so determined to work your way up to being able to do push ups!

I hope I'm not overstepping by offering a little advice, but I found that doing Sun Salutations every morning was really helpful in getting me to full military style push ups. The slow controlled lower into Chaturanga and then push up to Up Dog step really works wonders and isn't quite as difficult as even a push up from your knees. It's a really great stepping stone!
  • RachelSD7
    RachelSD7 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I think it's really exceptional that you're so determined to work your way up to being able to do push ups!

I hope I'm not overstepping by offering a little advice, but I found that doing Sun Salutations every morning was really helpful in getting me to full military style push ups. The slow controlled lower into Chaturanga and then push up to Up Dog step really works wonders and isn't quite as difficult as even a push up from your knees. It's a really great stepping stone!

I was with you, then you lost me! Is there a video or tutorial explaining each move? I'm all for do anything to make workouts easier, especially if they help me towards my goal. Thank you for the advice :)
  • jnc777
    jnc777 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    WTG, that's fab and I so get what you're saying.
    You've inspired me, full press up will be first goal of 2015 :)
  • BraveNewdGirl
    BraveNewdGirl Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    RachelSD7 wrote: »

I was with you, then you lost me! Is there a video or tutorial explaining each move? I'm all for do anything to make workouts easier, especially if they help me towards my goal. Thank you for the advice :)

Oh! There are lots and lots of videos on YouTube that'll walk you through a traditional Sun Salutation sequence. I like this one:

http://youtu.be/73sjOu0g58M

• annie5678
    Options
    Awesome NSV! I'm working on getting push-ups down too!
  • Holla4mom
    Holla4mom Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Awesome job! I couldn't do a single "real" push-up until last year. After I incorporated a little dumbbell work with Jillian Michael's I was better able to lift my own weight. Now, to be able to do a bunch in the row. That will be awesome.
  • FitnessTrainer69
    FitnessTrainer69 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Congrats !! Everyone starts somewhere. Don't give up and keep pushing yourself. When I first started working out I couldnt do 1 pullup. After ALOT of training its now possible for me. It was a great day for me when I got the 1st one. Now I can do alot more then 1 and with alot of weight attached. But it all started with that 1. Congrats again !!!
  • logicalinks
    logicalinks Posts: 89 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Good for you!!

Someone may have said this already, but I haven't read all the comments... A huge part of my finally being able to do full pushups from the toes was working on strengthening my core. I did from-the-knees pushups while also gradually increasing time doing the plank (from the elbows and side planks). This strengthened my arms and my core gradually.

I can now plank for 2.5 minutes, and can do 13 from-the-toe pushups before I give out. However, I can tell that having core strength has not only improved my overall strength, it keeps my pushup form correct so that I don't sag or bow my back. I'm trying to add one every other day to my pushups, but sometimes, I just don't have it in me. :)
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I understand just how you felt, I could do a few . . . when the trainer I was paying made me :) Then one day I was doing some strength exercises and wanted to round off my time and I did 10 modified - without really thinking about it. So from that day I decided to do them 3 days a week and each week add 3. I made it to 30 then started doing 10 full body (on my toes) plus 20+ modified. . . this morning I did 25 full body push ups! Now being able to do Pull Ups doesn't seem so far-fetched!

I think most of it is that little voice in our head saying "I can't do that" we have ignore it because in most cases we 'CAN' learn how!
  • EachDayDoesCount
    EachDayDoesCount Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    That sure is a great victory. I am hoping to reach that stage too! Maybe some day soon!
  • imabeevampire
    imabeevampire Posts: 166 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I need to try on the counter. I cannot do a push up to save my life! Well done
  • Elegra2006
    Elegra2006 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Just as a tip, my push-up 'revelation' came when my trainer had me focus totally on engaging my glutes and core, focus on keeping them tight and with well-aligned hips. Your chest and shoulders/back will also engage.

Don't think about your arms, they are just the tools to get you up and down, it's the rest of the body that does the hard work!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!