Exercise - Before or After You Eat

Options
I have read a few articles that says that you should exercise before you eat and then there are others that says to eat after you exercise.
I'm confused as to which is right or is it a preference?
I find that if I go home, I'm less likely to go back out (especially when it's cold). Once but butt hits the chair, I get comfortable. I've also heard that like swimming, you should wait about an hour before exercising. Again, when I leave work, if I don't hit the gym directly, that 45 min drive takes it's toll. I don't want to get home at 6 - eat, then sit for an hour and then go out and exercise. Although I would be exhausted, I would rather go, be exhausted - eat and then rest.

Which is right? Please chime in.
p.s. If you have nothing nice to say - then keep your comments to yourself.

Replies

• SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter.

At all.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    It kind of depends on how long you expect to work out. If you're exercising for less than about an hour, it probably doesn't make a whole lot of difference. If longer than that, then it gets into a question of how best to fuel your workout.
  • ciacyrus29
    ciacyrus29 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I normally spend 30-45 mins doing cardio and I haven't added in strength training yet. Been trying to just get in the habit of returning to the gym.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Okay, I'm a swimmer. I'd say 80% of my workouts are first thing in the morning, before breakfast.

Those other 20% are on weekends, when I generally eat breakfast first because I like to eat within a couple of hours of getting up. Also, the weekend workouts are more likely to be my distance workouts and, yeah, I'm darn well gonna want to fuel up for those!

However, the very best time in the world to workout is when you'll do it consistently. (And like you, once I'm done work for the day, I'm DONE. Don't make me work out or I'll bite you!)
  • imabeevampire
    imabeevampire Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Until tonight I have always exercised before eating and incorporated meals into refueling my body. Tonight I ate, left it a couple of hours and worked out and gave me the worst heartburn. I think you just need to try what's best for you and your body and what you can fit in.all exercise is better than none and everyone's body is different.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Do what works for you. Personally I exercise before dinner because I don't like to workout after eating - makes me feel ill. And once I get home I'm not leaving to go to the gym. Work - straight to working out - then home for dinner. I like a light snack later in the day though because if I'm too hungry it is all I can think about and I don't get a good workout.
  • ThatMouse
    ThatMouse Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter how long or how intensely I work out (or actually, maybe it'd make it worse) - I cannot eat within the hour before working out.

I workout in the AM fasted and generally fast 3 hours before my evening karate class. If I'm feeling very hungry, I'll have a banana or something.

I think it really depends on you. If you're feeling faint while working out, try to eat something before hand - something light, quick, ideally something you can eat in the car maybe. I find a banana does the trick for me, or a piece of cheese and toast if I'm peckish for something salty. But if eating before hand makes you feel gross while working out, see if eating after is an option - or if you have no appetite/time after you work out, you might find "skipping" that last meal and adding the calories elsewhere in the day more sustainable (i.e. Intermittent Fasting).
  • kim_m_kk
    kim_m_kk Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I work out in the morning early - before I do anything else. I drag out of bed get dressed drive to the gym and am back before anyone else in the house is even out of bed. I do not eat until I get home. I usually take a bottle of water with me - but that is it until I get home. I don't know if it is right or wrong but it is really my only option - since I work full time have two kids and am a full time graduate student.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    It is a preference thing. Sometimes I eat beforehand and sometimes I do not. Sometimes I eat during my workout (today I ate a banana between sets.)

I generally find that if I am doing cardio for 40 minutes or less, I am fine to go without eating first thing in the morning. If I go for longer, I like to eat something like a banana or granola bar (something in the 100-150 calorie range.) Most of the time I can weight train without eating but the workout I did today is my most intense and it was nice having a snack during it.

Long story short--it's a preference thing and you'll kind of figure it out through trial and error.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I always eat before exercise, or after, or before and after, or before during and after.....

Anything over two hours you are going to need some fuel - otherwise it's just what suits you as regards exercise performance and fitting it into your life.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Totally up to the individual. Personally, I'm useless before I eat, I can barely walk 3 flights of stairs that later in the day I can jog up. Others get great results from exercising fasted.

Whatever scientific advantages they may or may not be, I think they would be outweighed by the individual's personal preferences because you will do better when you do it your way.
  • Khukhullatus
    Khukhullatus Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    My parents always joke about this. My dad works out after and thinks "awesome, I burned off some of that meal" my mom eats after and thinks "darn, I just blew my gain from that workout." Perspective is an interesting thing.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    Yes
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    ciacyrus29 wrote: »
    I normally spend 30-45 mins doing cardio and I haven't added in strength training yet. Been trying to just get in the habit of returning to the gym.

That's all that matters. Don't let meal timing get in your way.
  • Desterknee
    Desterknee Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    It's a matter of preference.

For me, when I lift weights, I like to do it on an empty stomach.

When I do cardio, I need to have some food in my stomach or I feel ill.

Figure out what works best for you.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I usually prefer to eat after working out, but that's all it is. Just my preference. In reality, I'm no better off one way or the other.
  • ttcbelieve
    ttcbelieve Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    It depends........ Here is some recommendation from my GYM

What should I eat before/after a workout?
    It depends on lot of things. Here it is one at a time.
    1 – Type of workout. If the workout will cause you to have an elevated heart rate, lots of sweating, requires lots of effort, then you will not want to eat within 2-3 hours prior (amount of time depends on how you feel during workout after food). Stick to calorie free beverages – water, coffee, tea (unless one of these upset your stomach).
    2 – Time of workout. Follow the directions above if the workout is late enough in the day to allow you to eat food prior. If it is early morning, then get up, drink some water, maybe some electrolytes (ultima), and hit the workout.
    3 – Weight Training. If the workout is not a heavy breather, or one that will not cause an elevated heart rate for a prolonged period of time (i.e. Deadlift, 3-3-3-3-3), then you can eat as close to the workout as you like – again, as long as you feel good throughout the workout.
    4 – Things to avoid prior to a workout. Avoid foods that will cause an irregular pattern in your blood sugar. For most of you that will be foods that are high glycemic (i.e. pineapple, banana, most grains, flavoured yogurt, food bars, sugary drinks, etc.). For others this may involve not eating too much fat (oils, nuts, seeds, avacoados, etc) or protein (animal foods, dairy, eggs, etc.) prior. Just take note of what makes you feel good. Another suggestion would be to avoid dairy foods prior to any heavy breathing workout as it may cause an excessive amount of mucous for many people –… that is not a good thing.
    5 – After the Workout. You will want to choose the ratios of food (protein/fat/carbohydrate) you consume based on your body fat %. For an estimate, unless you can see you abdominal muscles you are going to be higher than 12-13%. This is your starting point. If the workout is a weight training workout, then eating a balance of protein, fat, and carbohydrates within one hour following will be optimal. The higher your body fat (greater than 13%), the less carbohydrates (less than 10-15 grams) you should consume (on a linear relationship – the higher the body fat %, the lower the carbohydrates) after this type of workout. If the workout is a heavy breather of long duration (greater than 7-10 mins) with lots of sweating, you will want to consume quality protein and carbohydrate dominant foods. For most, avoiding fat is not practical as it will help you for the rest of the day. Again, if your body fat is higher, then the less carbohydrates you should consume (under 20-25 grams). The exact amounts and types of food will depend on lots of things (your body mass, body fat %, food tolerance, activity level, schedule, experience with training, etc.).
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I can't exercise after..I feel like I'm going to puke..so I do it in the morning, and eat after
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    And sometimes during.
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    i do not eat anything before i work-out;
    i work-out in a fasted state after having not eaten since about 16 hours before i hit the gym. i used to "have" to eat before i worked-out but since i got serious about IF'ing, i quit eating before. it's personal preference.