Day one of 5/2 diet, anyone else trying it?

Options
naoxxx
naoxxx Posts: 26 Member
I'm hoping this may fit in with my lifestyle and I like the idea of not having to diet every day!

Replies

• jayladeyman
    Options
    Have you thought about trying 16:8 before 5:2? I think it would be a good transition.
  • jayladeyman
    Options
    http://jamesclear.com/intermittent-fasting-lessons-learned If you haven't read this yet I recommend it
  • naoxxx
    Options
    Thank you, I'll have a read. I already agree with the first point that your mind is the biggest barrier, I've felt fine all day at work but now I'm home I feel starving!
  • credle071207
    credle071207 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have had two or three different personal trainers and even a cardiologist tell me the best thing to do is to eat 4 or 5 small meals a day. They tell me that doing this will help increase metabolism. Is fasting something that is sustainable? The changes you make need to be permanent lifestyle changes, and not something you just do for a few months, because inevitably, the weight will come back if it is not a permanent change.

I wish you success in your journey!
  • auanagana14
    auanagana14 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    I have started my 5-2 diet yesterday....I have to say I was starving before going to bed but I survived drinking lot of water and today I'm fine and satisfied. Monday and Thursday will be my fasting days. Finger crossed and good luck!
  • nickpnh
    nickpnh Posts: 111 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    what is 16:8?
    Edit: I found it on that link. Very good read. Thank you!
  • naoxxx
    Options
    I think you're probably right credle but I don't think that works for me. I'm a bit of an all or nothing person so would rather fast Thursday so I can have champagne and chocolate on Friday!
  • naoxxx
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Auanag I was wondering if I'll be able to sleep tonight but have a sleeping tablet ready just in case! I've drunk a lot of peppermint tea today and a coke zero which have helped. Do you exercise on fast days?
  • auanagana14
    auanagana14 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I had a few problems to sleep last night, I have to say, but I felt very satisfied today, as I am now sure I can do it, it wasn't that bad. I had breakfast, lunch and dinner yesterday, for less than 500 calories (I'm not able to stick to one meal only). Also, I don't plan to do any exercise, I'm too lazy at the moment :p
    Maybe in a few weeks I will start to exercise at home, I have a hula hoop and the ab crunch roller waiting for me...
  • naoxxx
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I'm feeling a bit irritable tonight, it hasn't helped that my son didn't stop eating from the moment he got in from school and to had insult to injury, wasn't clearing up after himself! I think he soon realised that his mother had turned into a dragon and he'd better find his way to the dishwasher! It's been up and down today. I'm hoping my next fast day on Thursday will be slightly easier
  • naoxxx
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I'm not sure I can manage the gym or swimming on fast days yet. Good luck for Thursday too :D
  • naoxxx
    Options
    Have you thought about trying 16:8 before 5:2? I think it would be a good transition.

I'm interested in trying the 16:8, am I right in thinking it applies to every day?
  • workout_ninja
    workout_ninja Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I know alot of people who have sustained the 5:2 diet for over a year. It just works well for some people. I cant personnally do it - my mind gets in the way. I just eat within my calories every day
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Those of you trying it might find this group helpful, and full of support and ideas.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/100058-5-2-fasting

You consume up to 500 cals (600 for men), some people manage on less. And it's a long term very sustainable approach.
  • MrsGraves1987
    MrsGraves1987 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Me :) It is the only thing that works for me and is sustainable after trying EVERYTHING. Counting Calories was the worst for me, because I am my own enemy. I would eat more because I wasn't supposed to. Done my third week this year, so 6 fast days. I don't eat anything until about 6pm - only drink water - then (for example) I eat a whole carton of soup, have a cup of tea and roasted mushrooms and baby plum tomatoes with a baked egg. I also had two treat size chocs and a cup of tea. I don't find it hard at all, and once I get to maintenance I will reduce to 6:1 as per the book. Good luck to you!
  • YvonneMcCusker
    Options
    I started 5/2 on Monday going well so far feel determined I am going to do it ! Good luck I'll add you if you don't mind
  • ejdutton
    ejdutton Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    It worked for me in the past too so I'm back on it now after a relapse of a year and a half!! Was a delicious year but boy has it shown!!
  • greginhull
    Options
    What is the 5:2?