New to Aldi's

Options
cobarlo14
cobarlo14 Posts: 582 Member
Hi, I am calling out for some help... We had an Aldi come here about a year ago and I just went in last week after viewing some food diarys. I found yummy rice cakes 100 calories cookies - cereal also (my hubby - also on MFP ) loves cereal...
So I have to do some little shopping tonight and am looking for great alternatives

What do you recommend????

Replies

• roxiedo
    roxiedo Posts: 154
    Options
    Their Fit and Active line is very good - I know my Aldi's the prices on fruits and veggies are very good and they are a lot fresher than I get elsewhere also.
  • mandykasase
    mandykasase Posts: 110
    Options
    they have an extra lite mayo which i love, so i buy the lite for my husband and the xtra lite for me.
  • alisons7598
    alisons7598 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    My new favorite thing from there is the fit and active (90 or 100 calorie packs can't remember which they are) rice cake snacks. There is cinna-swirl and s'mores. They are so good!
  • MemphisGirl75
    MemphisGirl75 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I buy their bottled water, turkey bacon, rice cakes, and the Fit N Active cheese (I think that's what it's called)- basically their line of low calorie, healthy food. Haven't had a problem with any of it, and it usually beats Kroger and Wal-Mart in pricing (those are our biggest supermarkets in my area). I also buy the shrimp and the cereal seems to be ok- my son eats it and he's super-picky!

2858698.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    OMG...you MUST try the veggie chips/straws..The brand is Clancy's (well at my store it is)..I am so addicted! They are DELICIOUS!

I also read about their egg substitute being a lot less expensive, so I got some of that too! LOVED IT!

I also get SOME veggies from there..sometimes they are okay, and sometimes not..you have to really inspect them..

They also have decent prices on hamburger/lean turkey/boneless skinless chicken and fish.

Oh yeah, and I am fairly certain you wont be able to beat their bread prices!
  • FluffyMamaNeeds2Lose
    FluffyMamaNeeds2Lose Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Their fit & active brand is what I buy the most of. I get the fit & active string cheese its low in calories and fat and good for a quick protein snack when you pair it up with an apple or other piece of fruit. I got some great pumpkin granola there that I sprinkle in my greek yogurt and its yummy! The fit & active dried berries are nice to sprinkle into some plain cereals to give them a sweet taste (like cheerios or bran flakes) Also check out their produce section cause they usually have some nice romaine lettuce and other fresh veggies that are good :)

I do have to say that the ground turkey they have in the freezer section (in the tubes) are high in sodium and fat so don't be fooled by it, you are better off buying some 93/7 ground turkey from Wal*Mart.
  • tvaye10
    tvaye10 Posts: 19
    Options
    I love the Fit & Active products! Like another person said, they have tons of fresh fruit and veggies for a lot less money. We shop there every Saturday! :smile:
  • cupfanncbms
    cupfanncbms Posts: 101
    Options
    I get their steaks. They have some frozen sirloin filets that are really delish. 270 calories 14 g. fat. I know it's rather heavy on the fat, but I never go over on the fat. They have good cottage cheese, low fat salad dressings, and great produce products. I get their bagged salads also. 1.99 a bag at my store, and they have bags of romaine hearts for 2.19 at my store-best prices around here. They also have a really good 12 grain bread (similar to the Arnold brand). Whole wheat pastas are .89 there too. I *love* Aldi. It's my weekly go to for produce. OH! And they have these fit and active fudge bars that are supposed to compare to the WW giant fudge bars. They are REALLY REALLY good. Best 100 calorie treat I buy...

I keep remembering stuff. I get a pack of turkey tenderloins there that are really really really yummy. I get the rotisserie flavor and I grill it on the top rack of the grill and then slice it really thin. I use it as a main dish or use it in roll up sandwiches, salads, etc. One pack is 2 huge breasts (I can feed my family of seven and have leftovers for myself for a couple days) for 6.49. I recommend giving those a try too. :)
  • cobarlo14
    Options
    Their Fit and Active line is very good - I know my Aldi's the prices on fruits and veggies are very good and they are a lot fresher than I get elsewhere also.

Thanks - I tried the rice cakes (2bags), cereals (4boxes) & 100 calories (2boxes) fit and active stuff spent only 14.80
    my jar dropped.....
  • cobarlo14
    Options
    they have an extra lite mayo which i love, so i buy the lite for my husband and the xtra lite for me.

thanks - when I run out we will try it!!!
  • missjeannemarie
    Options
    I love Aldi and discovered a couple of good finds, I highly recommend the wild caught salmon filets, a pound (about 4 filets) for only $3.99, also the Fit N Active brand is very good including the Poppyseed dressing and bags of salad, and since they own Trader Joe's there are hidden gourmet brands - the Grandessa brand is one of them and most anything I tried with that brand is delicious!! The home made salsa is awesome and very low fat and very healthy. The "Sea Queen" seafood is very good including the Mussels and Crab Cakes. The Fit N Active yogurt is good, and the coffee - I can't think of the brand, but it's in the bags and I think one of them is "Kona" very good. Happy shopping!!
  • cobarlo14
    Options
    My new favorite thing from there is the fit and active (90 or 100 calorie packs can't remember which they are) rice cake snacks. There is cinna-swirl and s'mores. They are so good!

WHAT!!! Oh, I am so checking for them tonight!!! so far I grabbed cheese & caramel rice cakes

I couldn't believe my husband was eating them....
  • cobarlo14
    Options
    I buy their bottled water, turkey bacon, rice cakes, and the Fit N Active cheese (I think that's what it's called)- basically their line of low calorie, healthy food. Haven't had a problem with any of it, and it usually beats Kroger and Wal-Mart in pricing (those are our biggest supermarkets in my area). I also buy the shrimp and the cereal seems to be ok- my son eats it and he's super-picky!

Thank you - I wanted to see what other option they have... I ususally food shop with my Mom but she need the electric cart and this store doesnt have one.... (she has had multiple hip, back and knee surgerys) I emailed Aldis about it last week and they never responded....It upsets me abit... I'll try to get a manger tonight when I go. Oh and they are located less that 10 miles from a senior retirement community (Duh!!!) I simply don't get it.

Any-whoooo, My hubby is very picky too but he loves the cereal and rice cakes. Who know what else he'll like from there..
  • alynnbennett
    alynnbennett Posts: 182
    Options
    I LOVE Aldi's super cheap and there food is very good quality I have never had a problem there! They have these microwavable bags of veggies they are so good and incredibly low calories! Fit and Active is very good also! All the products I haven't found something I didn't like. They have these devil food cookies! YUM! Also the chocolate and peanut butter protein bars which are great to eat about an hour before working out!
  • cobarlo14
    Options
    OMG...you MUST try the veggie chips/straws..The brand is Clancy's (well at my store it is)..I am so addicted! They are DELICIOUS!

I also read about their egg substitute being a lot less expensive, so I got some of that too! LOVED IT!

I also get SOME veggies from there..sometimes they are okay, and sometimes not..you have to really inspect them..

They also have decent prices on hamburger/lean turkey/boneless skinless chicken and fish.

Oh yeah, and I am fairly certain you wont be able to beat their bread prices!

Thanks - I need egg substitute too.... I'll grab the veggie straws also. For Bread I stock up at Sams Club with the Arnold 100 sandwich rounds 16 rounds for 3.48 (i think) and freeze them (In the supermarket they go for 8 rounds for 2.50-2.99)
    But I look for other breads (baguettes, stuffings ect..)... I am very careful picking out veggies - Thanks for the heads up!
  • cobarlo14
    Options
    Their fit & active brand is what I buy the most of. I get the fit & active string cheese its low in calories and fat and good for a quick protein snack when you pair it up with an apple or other piece of fruit. I got some great pumpkin granola there that I sprinkle in my greek yogurt and its yummy! The fit & active dried berries are nice to sprinkle into some plain cereals to give them a sweet taste (like cheerios or bran flakes) Also check out their produce section cause they usually have some nice romaine lettuce and other fresh veggies that are good :)

I do have to say that the ground turkey they have in the freezer section (in the tubes) are high in sodium and fat so don't be fooled by it, you are better off buying some 93/7 ground turkey from Wal*Mart.

Thank you - I am not a fan of food in tubes anyway - I like to see it... I'll look out for the dried and granola..
  • cobarlo14
    Options
    I love the Fit & Active products! Like another person said, they have tons of fresh fruit and veggies for a lot less money. We shop there every Saturday! :smile:

Thanks!! I have to cut back too. I'll check it out - appreciate that!!
  • summerlove0617
    Options
    I have to agree, I enjoy their Fit & Active products! The ice cream sandwiches are just as good as Skinny Cow!!!
  • Vkoons3
    Vkoons3 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
  • cobarlo14
    Options
    I get their steaks. They have some frozen sirloin filets that are really delish. 270 calories 14 g. fat. I know it's rather heavy on the fat, but I never go over on the fat. They have good cottage cheese, low fat salad dressings, and great produce products. I get their bagged salads also. 1.99 a bag at my store, and they have bags of romaine hearts for 2.19 at my store-best prices around here. They also have a really good 12 grain bread (similar to the Arnold brand). Whole wheat pastas are .89 there too. I *love* Aldi. It's my weekly go to for produce. OH! And they have these fit and active fudge bars that are supposed to compare to the WW giant fudge bars. They are REALLY REALLY good. Best 100 calorie treat I buy...

I keep remembering stuff. I get a pack of turkey tenderloins there that are really really really yummy. I get the rotisserie flavor and I grill it on the top rack of the grill and then slice it really thin. I use it as a main dish or use it in roll up sandwiches, salads, etc. One pack is 2 huge breasts (I can feed my family of seven and have leftovers for myself for a couple days) for 6.49. I recommend giving those a try too. :)

Thank you - I will be looking for the Salmon,and the meats!!! Romaine & the fudge bars - I am looking for the fudge bars too..