Too much fruit??

Options
I was just wondering what everyone else thinks about eating lots of fruit. My main problem is snaking, especially in the evenings. Some people say snack on as much fruit others say you shouldn't eat much because of sugars etc. what's everyone's thoughts?

Replies

• La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    i think you might find differing opinions. i say as long as it fits within your calories, it's fine. i personally do not log sugars at all.
  • phungpat
    Options
    The only sugar I monitor in my log is from processed sugar. I don't concern myself with natural sugar from fruit. I'll eat as much fruit as I want as long as I don't go over my calorie goal.
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    i think you might find differing opinions. i say as long as it fits within your calories, it's fine. i personally do not log sugars at all.

This. ^^
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Does it fit into your calorie goal?

If yes - does it fit into your macro goals? Ignore sugar on its own, that's irrelevant when not taken in context of your overall diet (unless you have a medical condition to the contrary, in which case you should be asking your doctor this question, not the internet). Are you staying within and not exceeding your carbohydrate goals because of fruit? (In other words, are you still able to eat adequate fat and protein within your calorie goal?)

If yes - is your digestive system still working properly (not bothered by too much fiber)?

If yes - go ahead, eat ALL the fruits.

Edited to fix my stupid contradictory wording.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I eat lots of fruit too. I'm usually over in sugar by lunch time! It hasn't affected my weight loss. It's much healthier to have a big fruit salad then donuts, chocolate bars etc which have pretty much zero nutrients.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Keep it simple.....calories in < calories out
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    As long as you're not diabetic and need to limit total carbohydrates or are eating above your maintenance because of all the fruit you are eating, there is no such thing as too much fruit.
  • angiecassimatis
    Options
    Being a vegan who does not eat or drink processed sugars...my main source of energy is fruit!!!!

I really eat a fair bit in the morning, along with other foods and normally stop at lunch and they really fill me up.

It hasnt affected my weight loss at all, im on a slow steady rate currently. Sometimes i log them, sometimes i dont.

I really believe if it comes from the earth its ok, and i eat quite large amounts of all kinds of fruits...your body needs it!! I find my body really reacts well and digests it easily.

I have blood work done quite often, and i was honestly nervous after upping my portions of fruit, that my bloody sugars would spike....but they actually stayed at a really normal healthy range.

I think its about your diet as a whole, collectively what you eat and your calorie goal.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    In my book there is no such thing as "too much fruit" provided it fits into a persons calorie goals.
  • Mauigirl62
    Options
    I agree with everyone else - natural sugar from fruit isn't a problem if you keep within your calorie goals. I love those little clementine or mandarin oranges you can get this time of year. I've been popping those as a snack or dessert whenever I feel a need for something sweet. They're small so don't add many calories - 40 for one. In my smoothies I put pineapple and frozen raspberries most of the time which are pretty low cal. (Plus spinach and carrots to get in some veggies).
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I love my fruit. It's the yummiest of all healthy foods. The only reason I limit my fruit is to work in things I like less. For me, personally, I can't get too much. :)

I had my last Honeybell today and will wait for next year. People do not know "juicy orange" until they've had one of those bad boys! Harry and David sends a bib along, lol. I just wear a towel like a bib, but the plastic bib is hilarious. :)
  • charziecraig
    Options
    Thank you. All your comments have been really helpful
  • SwitzEngine
    SwitzEngine Posts: 3,418 Member
    Options
    The sugar in fruits is different to the one you add. Just look for your calories and you're fine
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I don't know anyone that got fat from eating too much fruit.