Any top tips for weight loss

Options
2»

Replies

• honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Don't go on extreme diets! Just log, be consistent, be as accurate as possible, allow yourself things that fit int your calories. Remember that going over your goal every now and then is not the end of the world.
  • Mintywoo
    Mintywoo Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You need to eat less food that you burn. A good way to get an idea of how much your body burns is to calculate your BMR - Basal Metabolic Rate. This is how many 'calories' your body would burn if you just lay in bed all day and did nothing. This rate changes according to age/sex/height/weight. Once you know your BMR, it is reasonable to assume that if you eat less than your BMR number, you will lose weight. As everybody else has said, it really is eat less, do more. If you choose to eat less and not do more, be strict in how you count calories and make it a lifestyle change, don't view it as a 'diet' because as soon a you go back to how you used to eat, you'll put all the weight back on. Use a search engine to find a site that calculates BMR, there are loads out there.
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Pack high protein low calorie snacks into your handbag to make sure you don't buy chocolate!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Mintywoo wrote: »
    You need to eat less food that you burn. A good way to get an idea of how much your body burns is to calculate your BMR - Basal Metabolic Rate. This is how many 'calories' your body would burn if you just lay in bed all day and did nothing. This rate changes according to age/sex/height/weight. Once you know your BMR, it is reasonable to assume that if you eat less than your BMR number, you will lose weight. As everybody else has said, it really is eat less, do more. If you choose to eat less and not do more, be strict in how you count calories and make it a lifestyle change, don't view it as a 'diet' because as soon a you go back to how you used to eat, you'll put all the weight back on. Use a search engine to find a site that calculates BMR, there are loads out there.

telling someone to eat below their BMR is not good advice
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Good advice so far! I second making changes slowly that you can keep up for the rest of your life… whatever they may be. I second weighing/measuring food and being honest in your logging. I second eating lots of protein and drinking LOTS of water (8 cups may not be sufficient, but it will depend on you.)

Use your "honeymoon period" of high motivation where you are all ready to get out there and kick some *kitten* as a time to form habits and routines. Those will carry you through when the motivation dies off. Most importantly, when slip-ups happen, forgive yourself and move on! It happens to all of us. Don't let a missed workout turn into a bad meal. Don't let a bad meal turn into a bad day. Don't let a bad day turn into a bad week.
  • ariann4
    Options
    Eat breakfast!!! Breakfast should be your biggest meal throughout the day. You will have energy to start your day out right and be less likely to make unhealthy choices throughout the rest of the day. Just making this one change in my day has made all the difference. Good Luck :smiley:
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    Record everything – don’t look at it as “a diet”. Design a healthy plan “for you.” Eat at a deficit.

Skip the high-calorie, low-nutrition foods and swap for low-calorie nutritious items; and reduce portion sizes

As one Mayo Clinic article put it –

“Despite all the diet strategies out there, weight management still comes down to the calories you take in versus those you burn off. Fad diets may promise you that avoiding carbs or eating a mountain of grapefruit is the secret to weight loss, but it's really all about calories.”

73641431.png
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    ariann4 wrote: »
    Eat breakfast!!! Breakfast should be your biggest meal throughout the day. You will have energy to start your day out right and be less likely to make unhealthy choices throughout the rest of the day. Just making this one change in my day has made all the difference. Good Luck :smiley:

That might work for you, but not for everyone
  • ariann4
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »

You could say that about anyone's suggestion. Kind of like how weighing out everything I eat throughout the day like a few people suggested would become exhausting and annoying to me and set me up for failure. Ya... not for me. Skipping breakfast is one of the worst things you can do to your body, of course aside from excessive drug and alcohol abuse. I'm going to school for Chinese Medicine and all of my teachers who are either LAcs, NDs, and/or MDs say this when it comes to breakfast.

Late night snacks are also bad for your body too. Your body needs to focus on resting not digesting at night.

Another helpful tip: How are you eating? Are you eating in a rush on your way to work in the car? Are you eating until you are completely full? In front of the laptop or TV? Sitting down, taking your time, properly chewing every bite, and being completely present with your food also makes a huge difference. I can't stress enough the importance of chewing completely because this is where the digestive process starts. Chewing fully makes your body's job of digesting that much easier. Making simple changes like this can also help with weight loss. My teachers also say that you should only eat until you are about 70% full, ie you still feel like you could eat more but are no longer hungry. Picture how difficult it is to wash the dishes when the sink is completely full of water... it is difficult for your stomach to do it's job when it is completely full. This might offend people on here but I'm going to say this, there is more to losing weight than just counting calories and exercise.

I do log everything I eat and look at my calories but I do it more so to see where I am slipping up through out my day. I use it as a tool to hold myself accountable.
  • kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Eat less, move more, lift heavy.

Build habits, not fads.

Log everything, and be honest.
  • Ataraxia81
    Ataraxia81 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Remember it's a lifestyle change, not a "diet". Drink lots of cold water!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

You could say that about anyone's suggestion. Kind of like how weighing out everything I eat throughout the day like a few people suggested would become exhausting and annoying to me and set me up for failure. Ya... not for me. Skipping breakfast is one of the worst things you can do to your body, of course aside from excessive drug and alcohol abuse. I'm going to school for Chinese Medicine and all of my teachers who are either LAcs, NDs, and/or MDs say this when it comes to breakfast.

Late night snacks are also bad for your body too. Your body needs to focus on resting not digesting at night.

Meal timing is irrelevant when it comes to weight loss. There are people on here who feel physically ill if they eat before noon. There are also people on here who eat half of their calories after 9 PM.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I follow 16:8 which means I break-fast closer to lunch time. I still have breakfast, just later :)
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options

Meal timing is irrelevant when it comes to weight loss. There are people on here who feel physically ill if they eat before noon. There are also people on here who eat half of their calories after 9 PM.

It makes sense that meal timing doesn't matter if you are tracking calories consumed/burned and making sure there is a small deficit. But I did read a study that said eating a good breakfast (including protein) was highly correlated with keeping the weight off.

• ariann4
    ariann4 Posts: 8
    edited January 2015
    Options
  • ariann4
    ariann4 Posts: 8
    edited January 2015
    Options

Another helpful tip: How are you eating? Are you eating in a rush on your way to work in the car? Are you eating until you are completely full? In front of the laptop or TV? Sitting down, taking your time, properly chewing every bite, and being completely present with your food also makes a huge difference. I can't stress enough the importance of chewing completely because this is where the digestive process starts. Chewing fully makes your body's job of digesting that much easier. Making simple changes like this can also help with weight loss. My teachers also say that you should only eat until you are about 70% full, ie you still feel like you could eat more but are no longer hungry. Picture how difficult it is to wash the dishes when the sink is completely full of water... it is difficult for your stomach to do it's job when it is completely full. This might offend people on here but I'm going to say this, there is more to losing weight than just counting calories and exercise.

I do log everything I eat and look at my calories but I do it more so to see where I am slipping up through out my day. I use it as a tool to hold myself accountable.

[/quote]

I'm just sharing what I have been learning in school and also what I have put into practice. Meal timing is very relevant... Eating right before bed is extremely less than ideal. Also, the amount of sleep you are getting matters too when it comes to weight loss. My teachers also say that getting to bed from at least 10pm to 6am is the optimal time for body to recuperate and get ready for the next day. This is coming from both a western and eastern mind set. I'm not just making this up. I know that everyone has different work schedules and lifestyles. I personally have difficulty adhering to a set bedtime but I do understand how important it is. I'm saying all these things to help.