Exercise makes me hungry

Options
i could eat anything after exercise. I get so hungry! I need will power to reduce my eating. I'm trying to cut down and exercise more (4 times gym classes) spinning, combat, tum and bums and body pump. Help

Replies

• goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    How much of the calories you burn are you eating back?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Me, too! I eat when I am hungry. But I try and portion it out to half. As in, half a scoop of protein powder in my shake.

Also, make sure you are fed before you exercise.
  • beautychicks01
    Options
    To be honest I haven't really started tracking my intake. Maybe I should and that will help. I just thought I would hit the gym hard and get into a routine in January and then try to control my eating!
  • beautychicks01
    Options
    Tell me more about protein shakes are they like diet shakes- cambridge or slim fast. I do see people drinking chocolate drinks. Will they stop me eating as much
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    MyFitnessPal and most trainers encourage eating more as you exercise! Your body's reminding you to fuel those muscles you're breaking down and re-building. :)
  • tanowicki
    tanowicki Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    If you do heavy exercise, it helps to have some protein soon after to combat the munchies. It can be a protein shake or a peanut butter sandwich or anything else you like. Not getting protein after a heavy workout can lead to some serious eating.
  • alltheweigh170
    alltheweigh170 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    s6cqwa30pro5.png
  • Fat4Fuel2
    Fat4Fuel2 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    If you're hungry after working out, eat! Track your calories, but maybe have a larger meal after the workout and then a smaller meal after. For example, 300 cal breakfast, 300 cal lunch, 400 cal after work out meal, 300 cal dinner (1300 cal total for the day, which is low). But you get the example. Try pairing a protein with a healthy fat after the workout to make you full and keep the satiated feeling.
  • r5d5
    r5d5 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    if exercising so intensely is making you hungry, i would cut down on the amount of exercise...especially since you're mainly doing cardio.
    If you're eating at a deficit, you're already on track to losing weight. The exercise is just an added bonus, and will help with overall fitness. But you can't outwork a poor diet! What you eat should be your focus, not hours and hours of cardio.

But for foods that are filling, I would suggest apples, broccoli, 100 popcorn, eggs, tuna, carrots, chicken, spinach...vegetables and protein are really great for filling up!

Best of luck to you! (Please ease up on the workouts!!)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    You should eat then. But you should be tracking your calories to be sure you're not overeating and sabotaging your hard work.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    To be honest I haven't really started tracking my intake. Maybe I should and that will help. I just thought I would hit the gym hard and get into a routine in January and then try to control my eating!

kk...although calorie deficit is how to lose weight; exercise is just a nice-to-have. start tracking now; eat some carbs before the workout and some protein afterwards such that you're not eyeing the toddlers in the day-care area as potential snacks. Give that a week to get used to and establish a baseline for your "now" intake. Then start dialling back the calories (or, if you're losing too fast, dial them up) until you get to a sustainable loss rate.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I am often hungry after exercise, myself. I plan for it and just plan to eat a meal (usually breakfast) after a workout.
  • beautychicks01
    Options
    Thank you very one for your comments I've taking them all on board. Some of them made me chuckle! I'll start tracking tomorrow. ..that will tell if I'm over eating
  • jts20130
    Options
    I thought I was tripping lmao!!! I realized that after I work out I'm sooooo hungry!lol I didn't know why tho.... Usually I eat breakfast to fuel me... Then I'll wait 20 mins.. Then begin my work out ... And after in starving like Marvin lol!!! And I feel bad because I thought it was just me being greedy as heck!! Lol...
  • ZebsterBC
    ZebsterBC Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I used to get hungry after workouts, but I actually lose appetite for an hour or so after working out now and never do get super strong hunger. I make sure I eat protein rich foods and monitor amount via MFP from the meals I log. I avoid simple carbs like processed sugar, white bread, etc because they cause spikes in blood sugar. I also avoid trigger foods. They're the ones that cause me to be more hungry after eating them (candy, cookies, etc).
  • beautychicks01
    Options
    ZebsterBC you are sooooooo right. Ive been eating lots of carbs, processed foods , sugars especially over the Christmas period and gone straight in with exercise a full blown 4/5 days worth. I need to fuel my body properly. Clean food! Hi protein. A trip to the butchers me thinks