Isn't less better?

Options
So why is myfitnesspal scolding me for not eating enough calories :(

Replies

• as5811
    as5811 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    If you don't eat enough your body will go into deprivation mode. It thinks you are starving, so keeping your fat stores. I had a couple days, too that MFP warned me of not eating enough calories. Remember your original daily calorie goal, but if you exercise, don't feel temped to eat the extra calories that you gained. You'll just maintain your weight. Hope this helps.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    as5811 wrote: »
    If you don't eat enough your body will go into deprivation mode. It thinks you are starving, so keeping your fat stores. I had a couple days, too that MFP warned me of not eating enough calories. Remember your original daily calorie goal, but if you exercise, don't feel temped to eat the extra calories that you gained. You'll just maintain your weight. Hope this helps.

Nope

OP, MFP wants to make sure you are getting enough nutrients to keep your body running. If you're netting below 1500 calories (the minimum recommendation for men), then it gives you that message. And you are supposed to eat those exercise calories back to fuel your body, but not all of them to account for overestimations.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    My diabetic training (in remission now!) says balance in everything. Food is good; it is fuel. It makes us strong and able to do lots of things.

So in this case, no. Less is not better. Eating enough and still losing weight (if that is your goal) is what you want.
  • Bookwitch
    Bookwitch Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    If you don't eat enough calories youre body will store what you do eat in fat cells. If you aren't hungry enough to eat food try a smoothie or one of those shakes like Boost. You will get your calories that you need.
    Hope this helps you.
  • whitespider360
    whitespider360 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I weigh 250 pounds and since I've joined MFP, it's been 20 days and I've lost 8 pounds. Don't know if that's good or bad, was hoping it was more. MFP had me on a 1400 cal diet, so I dropped my goal weight and brought down my cal diet intake to 1210. And to this day I still can't reach my cal intake. It tells me almost everyday that I'm not eating enough, but I've never been so full in my life. I do know I have been eating the wrong kind of things before that caused my weight gain. And I've been down with my back for many years and still am, but I'm trying to get back up. I've been on several diets before and lost 70 pounds in 4 months several times and kept it off for several months and then I would have a medical problem that would get me down again. This is the first time I have kept a diary of what I eat. It does make a difference when you see it posted in front of you. Makes me feel guilty when I go over any of the goals. I thought I was doing good staying under my cal intake until I saw that it was bad. I just don't know how to eat any more, I sure don't want to gain weight instead of lose and that's what my brain tells me when I eat so much.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Because who the frack doesn't want to eat as much food as possible to meet their goals?
  • whitespider360
    Options
    Honestly I'm not, cause I can't stand to look at myself in the mirror. It makes me sick at my stomach to see me being this big, I hate it. I've always been big except when I would lose my weight, but I just can't take it anymore. So I hate food!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    I weigh 250 pounds and since I've joined MFP, it's been 20 days and I've lost 8 pounds. Don't know if that's good or bad, was hoping it was more. MFP had me on a 1400 cal diet, so I dropped my goal weight and brought down my cal diet intake to 1210. And to this day I still can't reach my cal intake. It tells me almost everyday that I'm not eating enough, but I've never been so full in my life. I do know I have been eating the wrong kind of things before that caused my weight gain. And I've been down with my back for many years and still am, but I'm trying to get back up. I've been on several diets before and lost 70 pounds in 4 months several times and kept it off for several months and then I would have a medical problem that would get me down again. This is the first time I have kept a diary of what I eat. It does make a difference when you see it posted in front of you. Makes me feel guilty when I go over any of the goals. I thought I was doing good staying under my cal intake until I saw that it was bad. I just don't know how to eat any more, I sure don't want to gain weight instead of lose and that's what my brain tells me when I eat so much.

Honestly, if you are so full on less than 1200 calories, it probably means you are underestimating how many calories you are eating. Are you using a food scale to measure your food?

I know you want to lose as quickly as possible, but the more you eat as you are losing the healthier it will be and you'll be more likely to stick with it long-term.
  • ana3067
    Options
    Honestly I'm not, cause I can't stand to look at myself in the mirror. It makes me sick at my stomach to see me being this big, I hate it. I've always been big except when I would lose my weight, but I just can't take it anymore. So I hate food!!!!!!!!!!!!

You mean you hate being fat/big/overweight/etc. Food doesn't cause that, eating too much does.
  • whitespider360
    Options
    No, I don't have scales, I know I need some badly. Never have use scales before. Don't know anything about them. I'm new on here. I use measuring spoons and cups. And yes, I know eating to much does cause weight gain. I've also had several hormonal and medical problems that has contributed to my weight.
  • James_Holiday
    James_Holiday Posts: 12
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I weigh 250 pounds and since I've joined MFP, it's been 20 days and I've lost 8 pounds. Don't know if that's good or bad, was hoping it was more...

Are you crazy? 8 pounds in 20 days is phenomenal!

• StephMDtoo
    StephMDtoo Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I am pretty sure the fat storage is a bit of a myth when it comes to weight loss. Of course your metabolism will slow down, but if you eat too little, your most certainly going to lose weight. The problem is, it will come back quickly if you increase your calories for a few days. You could theoretically become diagnosis-ably malnourished (though that's really hard to do in developed countries), and you could absolutely make yourself quite sick. You could lose your hair, impair your immune system, cease menstruation (obviously only for women), suffer bone loss, or even have organ failure or become mentally ill.
    Your body needs fuel. Try to get 1200 calories of good stuff every day, at least.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    I weigh 250 pounds and since I've joined MFP, it's been 20 days and I've lost 8 pounds. Don't know if that's good or bad, was hoping it was more...

No, under normal circumstances it's wildly unhealthy. In this case, it's almost certainly water weight and is no big deal, but anyone continuing at that rate is going to deal with problems later on.

• ana3067
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »

No, under normal circumstances it's wildly unhealthy. In this case, it's almost certainly water weight and is no big deal, but anyone continuing at that rate is going to deal with problems later on.

agree.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Ohhhhhhhh...........less calories.
  • Zedeff
    Zedeff Posts: 651 Member
    Options

You ARE crazy if you think that 2.8 lbs per week at 250 lbs is "wildly unhealthy."
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Zedeff wrote: »

You ARE crazy if you think that 2.8 lbs per week at 250 lbs is "wildly unhealthy."
    The person who posted that is logging well under 1000 calories per day. That's the definition of wildly unhealthy.

• ana3067
    Options
    Zedeff wrote: »

At 250lbs, 3lbs a week is excessive. 1.5-2lbs max would be a much more reasonable goal, allowing the person to eat a far more sustainable calorie intake and to have more energy and acquire better nutrition. Outside of the initial water weight loss in the first few weeks, losing a whole lot of weight at a time (and yes, I consider 12lbs/month to be a lot of weight) is not doing anyone any long-term benefits.