Women over 50, different % balance?

Options
Not only does it appear harder and take longer, but I'm wondering if for women over 50, there should be a different percentage of carbs to protein to fat in order to lose weight successfully. I've read a little bit about lowering the carbs. But I'm not ready for one of those super low carb diets. Anyone out there struggling with this same issue? I Think I'm being very faithful when entering calorie count, considering exercise (3 to 4 times a week) but still seem to be gaining weight or at least not losing.

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I'm 47, I've lost 44lbs and 20 years in the last 7-8 months... I've balanced out at about 50C, 20F, 30P (trying to get 100g protein daily but missing sometimes)

the only reason they say it is harder and takes longer is because the assumption is you're less active and have lost muscle ... simple solution to that really .. weight / resistance training

what do you mean you 'think' you are being very faithful .. if in doubt weigh and log everything, choose carefully from the MFP database and double check calories .. build your own recipes, scan barcodes etc

you can do it
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    The real run starts during/after menopause, whatever age that may be. There are significant changes in your body. It really depends on genetics and lifestyle, but yes, most women I've discussed this with (online and IRL) find better success with carb management. Either lowering carbs, or focusing slower digesting carbs.

It all comes down to calories, but what you eat can make manageing those calories easier or harder.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    People don't lose weight because of medical issues or too much food. Medical issues aside, it is not enough to "think" you are being faithful when you enter your calories. You have to be accurate as possible. Food scales are cheap tools that will remove the guessing game. Personally, I call BS to slow or hard weight loss due to age. It is due to inactivity and a calorie surplus. I will be 52 this year and lost 32 lbs. on Weight Watchers and another 33.5 lbs. on MFP. You could play around with your macro percentages until you find a combination that works best for you. However, it is the calorie deficiency you need to be more concerned about in terms of losing weight.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I'm 52 and menopausal and "thought" I was eating well until I came to this site. I was eyeballing portions, and thought I was consuming the amount of calories my doctor recommended. I was so far off. Accuracy is key. I blamed menopause, I blamed my thyroid, I blamed other medical conditions I have (and I have a boatload of them).

It was none of those things. I was simply eating too much.

As far as macros are concerned? It really all comes down to personal preference. I feel best eating a moderate amount of slow-digesting carbs so my macros are something like 40/45 30 30/25 (Carb, Protein, Fat) and I try to get around 100 g of protein a day.

Get a digital food scale so that your logging is as accurate as it can be. Use the correct food entries from the data base. I usually confirm the ones I chose with product labels or a Google search. Once you have that sorted, go ahead and add exercise. I exercise when my health issues aren't acting up, and it contributes to an overall sense of well-being, makes me more fit, gives me more calories to eat (though I don't generally eat back my exercise calories, it's nice to know they're there), burns additional calories and preserves lean muscle mass.
  • fiftyandfit
    fiftyandfit Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Being half a century plus is hard! Not like when were in our 30's for sure!
    I'm still working on what works for me....started with calories, but may have
    to change to macros. The important thing is, I'm moving again...walking and
    strength training. Logging my food. Being accountable to ME!
    Don't get discouraged by numbers!
    Good luck!
  • Salligraphy
    Salligraphy Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the input.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but like most of the other posters, it is still down to CICO even as we get older.
    I am 61 now, but lost my 30lb in my mid 50's when menopause was in full swing.

Because of being menopausal, I did make sure I included a lot of exercise 3-5 times a week (aqua fit, body toning, Pilates, walking, and the machines at the gym), to hold on to as much LBM

If you are not using a scale already, you may find it beneficial to start using one.

I have maintained since 2010, 40c/30f/30p, when I am counting, still do something 5 days a week, eventhough I am a bookworm at heart, and find an overload of carbs can make me lethargic.

Cheers, h.
  • Salligraphy
    Options
    Middlehaitch, that answers my question, thanks!
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I was about to add (and still will though your question is answered) I also eat 40%c/30%p/30%f. I'm 61 and lost 63 pounds in 53 weeks. I've maintained a range of -2/+3 of "goal" for 8 months with 40/30/30.
  • keziak1
    keziak1 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I'm 52 and still working on it so I'm not sure how age will impact my weight loss efforts. In my 30s I lost a lot of weight (twice) and really toned up, but I just let myself go in my forties. : - (

We're also supposed to do weight lifting as a way to preserve strong bones.
  • Salligraphy
    Options
    I do strength training, yoga and cycling. Pretty active in general, but never really calorie counted. Thus my question of balance as I gain weight! From your suggestions and what I have read, lower % of carbs seems the way to go! Thanks again to all.
  • mamacoates
    mamacoates Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Maybe it is obvious, but one thing that I did not read so far on this post is that physiologically our metabolisms do slow down a bit as we age so while I agree on the issue of CICO, we need to remember that OUR TDEE is lower than a 30 yo or 20 yo so we have to adjust accordingly. Also, while it seems logical that a calorie is a calorie, I know my body responds differently to a diet of lean protein and veggies, than it does to a high simple-carb menu. Menu also impacts water retention, satiety, etc. And since your body needs protein to build new muscle, it makes sense that you'd want ample protein in your diet while you build all those strong muscles!!

I try to eat 30% carb, 40% protein, 30% fat and striving for the higher protein % means I focus on a leaner diet in general. If you are not losing, I suggest that you double check your MFP logging activity. Read labels, weigh/measure everything. When you are exact in your logging, it is often quite surprising to find out what our food is really composed of - then take a few minutes each week to analyze the data that you gather about your diet. I also found that as I got older, I had to up the intensity of my workouts to be sure I was building new muscle and achieving body recomposition for my age. Weight bearing exercise helps with bone density.

And if you haven't yet read this article, I highly recommend it: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants.

Other good articles on macros plus a macro calculator available here: http://iifym.com/ and finally, Scooby's Workshop is another good webpage for even more helpful info … just move past the “bro” language and pics. (LOL) http://scoobysworkshop.com

Feel free to add me if you want to stay in contact. Either way, best wishes to you! You can do this!! Good health is a lifetime commitment.
  • Salligraphy
    Options
    Thank you, thank you! These are exactly the issues I was addressing...I think I didn't explain myself too well in my initial post.
  • Salligraphy
    Options
    Forgive me @mamacoates not sure how to add you to my stay in touch list....
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Forgive me @mamacoates not sure how to add you to my stay in touch list....

Send her a friend request.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I'm 67 and lost 30 lb with no discernible issues. People buy into a philosophy of I have a slower metabolism or it's a menopausal issue instead of biting the bullet and doing the work necessary. I use MFP's macros and add whatever additional nutrients are medically recommended. I lead an active lifestyle and moved from focusing on weight to living a happy life.

1693wwbpnb5b.jpg
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    I pay attention to total calories-not % I'm 56 and have taken off 10 lbs since early Dec.
  • CASue13
    CASue13 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have an urgent question, how do you meet those 40%/30%/30% and still eat enough calories. I'm losing weight, but calorie intake is too low according to MFP and I don't want to get sick. Suggestions would be really great. I usually finish my day with 300 or 400 calories left over.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    CASue13 wrote: »
    I have an urgent question, how do you meet those 40%/30%/30% and still eat enough calories. I'm losing weight, but calorie intake is too low according to MFP and I don't want to get sick. Suggestions would be really great. I usually finish my day with 300 or 400 calories left over.

Umm...eat more

Percentages just work out the grammes you need to consume ..you need to eat your calories

Ignore it and eat more calorie dense foods ..nut butters, avocado, chocolate etc
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    mamacoates wrote: »
    Maybe it is obvious, but one thing that I did not read so far on this post is that physiologically our metabolisms do slow down a bit as we age so while I agree on the issue of CICO, we need to remember that OUR TDEE is lower than a 30 yo or 20 yo so we have to adjust accordingly. Also, while it seems logical that a calorie is a calorie, I know my body responds differently to a diet of lean protein and veggies, than it does to a high simple-carb menu. Menu also impacts water retention, satiety, etc. And since your body needs protein to build new muscle, it makes sense that you'd want ample protein in your diet while you build all those strong muscles!!

I try to eat 30% carb, 40% protein, 30% fat and striving for the higher protein % means I focus on a leaner diet in general. If you are not losing, I suggest that you double check your MFP logging activity. Read labels, weigh/measure everything. When you are exact in your logging, it is often quite surprising to find out what our food is really composed of - then take a few minutes each week to analyze the data that you gather about your diet. I also found that as I got older, I had to up the intensity of my workouts to be sure I was building new muscle and achieving body recomposition for my age. Weight bearing exercise helps with bone density.

And if you haven't yet read this article, I highly recommend it: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants.

Other good articles on macros plus a macro calculator available here: http://iifym.com/ and finally, Scooby's Workshop is another good webpage for even more helpful info … just move past the “bro” language and pics. (LOL) http://scoobysworkshop.com

Feel free to add me if you want to stay in contact. Either way, best wishes to you! You can do this!! Good health is a lifetime commitment.

It slows down BECAUSE of lack of activity / muscle loss...so move more and protect your muscle. It doesn't have to, there's a difference between observational statistics and causative relationships