Disheartened by body fat reading

Options
I'm having a difficult time with the body fat reading I received at my gym today. Here's the story:

I started at 165 pounds in July 2014. I'm 5'4 and my initial goal weight was 135. Well, I've hit 137 and now I'm thinking I'd like to try for 125. I've been losing steadily, so no worries there. I eat an average of 1400 calories a day, sometimes less, usually more if I exercise. My diary is closed, but again I haven't had any issues losing.

So far I've been doing cardio (Zumba, body combat, running), yoga, pilates and some resistance training but not much. I'm not all that familiar with free weights and I've heard great things about heavy lifting so I made an appointment with a trainer at my gym.

During the initial asessment they took some stats, and tested my body fat with the held held tool, the one you hold straight on from your body. It read my body fat at 30%. I was shocked! My digital scale reads my bf at 26%. I know the scales aren't always accurate but I have visible definition in my arms and stomach. I do have some fat to lose in my butt and legs, but I didn't think much. The trainer also told me that my goal weight should be 121, which I suppose is close to 125 but I thought 125 might be pushing it for me. People have always told me how muscular I look!

I really enjoyed working with the trainer and I should feel excited to be learning how to lift but for some reason I keep fixating on this body fat thing. Are those readers generally accurate? Is there a better way to get a reading? Am I getting upset for no reason?

Any advice is greatly appriciated!

Replies

• IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    They're generally inaccurate and not to belittle your feelings but there's no need to be upset. The body fat they read using the BI method will fluctuate throughout the day and largely depends on your hydration... and where they measure.

You just have to get the number moving in the right direction to track progress, not use it as a definition of you.
    I recommend using image charts available on the internet of different bodyfat models and comparing to that.

Someone will probably mention an expensive proceedure to measure your body fat.
    Then people will start arguing about which method is best.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    How do you feel? How do you look? Those are the most important metrics. Besides, if you follow a heavy lifting program you can recomp and over time reduce that body fat if you choose to do so.
  • baldse90
    baldse90 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    They're generally inaccurate and not to belittle your feelings but there's no need to be upset. The body fat they read using the BI method will fluctuate throughout the day and largely depends on your hydration... and where they measure.

You just have to get the number moving in the right direction to track progress, not use it as a definition of you.
    I recommend using image charts available on the internet of different bodyfat models and comparing to that.

Someone will probably mention an expensive proceedure to measure your body fat.
    Then people will start arguing about which method is best.

I realize I'm being somewhat ridiculous. I've been using the bf reading on my digital scale in terms of a downward trend, because I had heard it might be inaccurate.

I obviously knew I hadn't gained 4% body fat since this morning, but seeing the number (and the fact that it's in the "risk" zone according to the trainer) was just a little jarring. I've been working very hard and seeing lots of progress.

The image cart is a good idea, thank you.
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    Risk zone?
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    For the body fat reading, all I can suggest is trying a few methods of calculating and taking the average, or check over a period of time and weights (historical if available).

*I* wouldn't worry about it that much, but then I am not doing any effective training or core exercises so I have a pretty high percentage. It's not an issue for me at the moment.

I don't know how accurate the handheld device is, or how accurate the scale may be.

As for your goal, you don't mention your age, but I would talk with a doctor and not a trainer.

For reference, I'm 48, and 5'2", and my doctor expressed grave concern over my intention to drop my weight to 130. 10 years ago, he might not have had those concerns. 20 years ago, he might have been comfortable with my aiming for a goal of 120. Your mileage may vary.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    They aren't that accurate. If you really want to know, you can get a DXA if they are available around you, although they run like $100+. I got one in part because I also wanted to know bone density and all that.

Barring that (or the other types of reliable tests, none of which are more easily available), I'd say take photos and just go for looks and improvement. You will be better able to judge as you get closer and, frankly, the specific number doesn't matter much.

I'm a little cynical that your trainer wants you to have a more aggressive goal to feel the need for the trainer more, but it's probably just the formula he or she was taught to do based on the lean mass you were estimated to have. I would ignore that completely and just wait and see.

I will say that from my experience the initial assessment thing is usually a health club requirement and IME the trainer isn't always that great at it. Mine (who I otherwise really like) did one and came up with a number that made no sense (too low) based on the measurement calculation, which I could have told her didn't ever work with my proportions. But she's been great at other things more related to why I wanted to work with her.
  • baldse90
    Options
    How do you feel? How do you look? Those are the most important metrics. Besides, if you follow a heavy lifting program you can recomp and over time reduce that body fat if you choose to do so.

I feel and look great! I just wasn't expecting to see that number, I'm not sure why it caused me to feel the way that I do. I'm not generally an overly emotional person so I was surprised at myself.

Honestly, I think I was wondering about the accuracy of the hand-held body fat calculators and gave an unnecessary backstory. This was my first post but I've been reading (and getting a lot of helpful info from!) these forums for a while and I've seen people asked to clarify, so I guess I over-shared.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    My personal opinion is to dump the trainer, buy the book "New rules of lifting for women" join the MFP group of the same name and transform yourself into a sexy beast.
  • baldse90
    Options
    Risk zone?

I think that was a scare tactic that worked in the moment, and makes no sense now that I think about it.
  • baldse90
    Options
    For the body fat reading, all I can suggest is trying a few methods of calculating and taking the average, or check over a period of time and weights (historical if available).

*I* wouldn't worry about it that much, but then I am not doing any effective training or core exercises so I have a pretty high percentage. It's not an issue for me at the moment.

I don't know how accurate the handheld device is, or how accurate the scale may be.

As for your goal, you don't mention your age, but I would talk with a doctor and not a trainer.

For reference, I'm 48, and 5'2", and my doctor expressed grave concern over my intention to drop my weight to 130. 10 years ago, he might not have had those concerns. 20 years ago, he might have been comfortable with my aiming for a goal of 120. Your mileage may vary.

Thank you. I'm 28. My doctor says I'm fine, wanting to get to 125 is for vanity reasons. I'm trying not to focus too much on the number, more how I feel. I think I just ended up with too many numbers thrown at me tonight.
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    Yeah, I'm not liking them either.
    I was thinking of saying that, as a trainer, it really helps if you can say at the time (omg my bodyfat is way less at home) and they could've put your mind at ease and avoided you worrying. Your ability to communicate will be vital when it comes to lifting weights with technique.
    As someone mentioned earlier, just make sure you get what you want out of it, and only rely on the trainer for stuff you trust their expertise on.
  • baldse90
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    They aren't that accurate. If you really want to know, you can get a DXA if they are available around you, although they run like $100+. I got one in part because I also wanted to know bone density and all that.

Barring that (or the other types of reliable tests, none of which are more easily available), I'd say take photos and just go for looks and improvement. You will be better able to judge as you get closer and, frankly, the specific number doesn't matter much.

I'm a little cynical that your trainer wants you to have a more aggressive goal to feel the need for the trainer more, but it's probably just the formula he or she was taught to do based on the lean mass you were estimated to have. I would ignore that completely and just wait and see.

I will say that from my experience the initial assessment thing is usually a health club requirement and IME the trainer isn't always that great at it. Mine (who I otherwise really like) did one and came up with a number that made no sense (too low) based on the measurement calculation, which I could have told her didn't ever work with my proportions. But she's been great at other things more related to why I wanted to work with her.

I'm sure spending that much money to get an accurate reading wouldn't be worth it for me. I do take photos, and my clothes have gotten smaller.

Everything has been going so well, I think I just saw that jump in the number and freaked a bit. Many thanks to everyone for talking me through it!

I did love the lifting portion of the session. I'm going to try going again and then maybe just downloading a program onto my phone if it doesn't work out.
  • baldse90
    Options
    Yeah, I'm not liking them either.
    I was thinking of saying that, as a trainer, it really helps if you can say at the time (omg my bodyfat is way less at home) and they could've put your mind at ease and avoided you worrying. Your ability to communicate will be vital when it comes to lifting weights with technique.
    As someone mentioned earlier, just make sure you get what you want out of it, and only rely on the trainer for stuff you trust their expertise on.

Thanks. Yeah, generally I'm not emotional and pretty outspoken. I just truly froze in that particular moment. I agree that communication is key.

I appreciate your feedback!
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    Just need an argument to start now, and we'll be done ;)
  • baldse90
    Options
    fbynwwpc23ep.jpg

This popped into my head during the assessment as I've seen it before. I look like the 25% picture. Thank you for sharing this.
  • baldse90
    Options
    Thank you all! I feel much better, I think I just needed to talk through it and my husband is not into fitness and just tells me I look great (which is nice, and I do!)
  • squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    fbynwwpc23ep.jpg

I like this chart, but at the same time, I've got the arms of 40%, the stomach of 22%, the thighs of 30%, and the boobs of 25% sooo.....it definitly is helpful but doesn't answer every question.

OP body fat calculators are notoriously inaccurately, both on the scale and with calipers or other methods. I totally get that seeing a number can be scary. As someone who carries weight well and is, er, dense maybe? My weight will always be higher than I look, and sometimes seeing the number is upsetting. That being said take a breath, focus on your new lifting plan and don't stress. If you drop a few percentage points all the better, but if your doctor says you're healthy that's what's most important :)
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I didn't read replies.

If that's you in the picture, you're gorgeous. My middle-aged, fat, very jealous self is having some trouble feeling any pity...that's how gorgeous you are. :)

No, those things aren't that accurate. If you want an accurate reading, you need a professional test. But don't worry about the numbers, whatever they are! If you want to lift, do it! It's good for you! Don't do it because you're worried about how you look, though. You'd be crazy.

Don't take the trainer's pronouncement of 121 as THE ONE AND ONLY NUMBER, lol. If you feel good at 125, then 125 is great. 130 is probably just fine, too. (Again, gorgeous now.) If you're in any doubt, ask your doctor at your next check-up.

Get the body you are happy with, not the one you're told you should have based on some random number. Keep eating well and exercising and you're all set.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    It's a number. Get over it. It means nothing.

Keep going until you are happy with how you look and ignore the numbers. All of 'em. They aren't important at all.