discouraged

Feeling discouraged. I am eating around the same amount of calories a day and yet my weight keeps going up

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Add some activity. Or you might need to visit your doc and or a nutritionist.
  • aronow4
    aronow4 Posts: 21 Member
    As soon as I get health insurance I will be doing a Dr visit
  • Train4Foodz
    Train4Foodz Posts: 4,298 Member
    Hey there,
    If ever your feel discouraged, think about where you are now and then think about where you could be in 2-3-4 months time if you put the effort and determination in to make this lifestyle change work for you.

The scale not moving or increasing can be one of many things, it can easily be water retention from increased exercise. Keep giving it your all and maybe weigh on a fortnight or monthly basis so that you see real results.
    A tip for you is to keep your weigh ins consistent. Weighing at similar times (I always recommend the morning pre-meal) this will keep the results as accurate as possible.

Wishing you complete success.

Adam
  • aronow4
    I weigh myself Monday through Friday mornings when I get up for work
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    When did you start? How long have you been going? What's your height, weight, age? What calorie intake are you aiming for? What's your activity level? How are you measuring your calorie intake (scale, cups, eyeballing)?
  • cranium853
    cranium853 Posts: 138 Member
    Yeah, I have had one of those weeks too. If I wanted immediate gratification, I can pet my dog. She loves me RIGHT NOW. Everything else is harder. You are teaching yourself discipline, and you are learning what works for you. (Of course, if the Diet Fairy would just swoop down and make me a size 8 before breakfast, I would be ever so grateful. And have nothing to wear to work.) Did you ever watch that show, The Swan, where women would be mutilated over a few weeks to look like they wanted to look? I'd like to see the one-year-later story. Good health we work for. You are doing the work. It's just Monday morning and sometimes work sucks.
  • scookbey
    scookbey Posts: 84 Member
    Keep at it! Include some activity and continue taking in water. You might be experiencing some water retention. If you don't see any results (after including exercise & reasonable intake of calories) go see your doctor. Hopefully, you don't have any thyroid issues but it's better to know why you are at a standstill than to give up altogether.
  • aronow4
    I just started this month more in the last week. I am 5 ft tall and weigh 184 lbs and i am 29 yrs old. Not sure what my cal intake is and execise is limites but working forward on that
  • Try only checking your weight once a week aronow. Alot of people will tell you otherwise, but when you're just starting out the constant barrage of discouragement will only make you want to give up. In the long run you will feel better when you finally do lose weight.

Also, it could very well be your body chemistry. I only recently have really started to lose weight because my doctor put me on a strict regiment of Metformin twice daily. It's a Diabetic medicine, but it's also used for women with hormonal imbalances like pcos. I have never had much of an appetite, and have always been a moderately healthy eater. I have my vices, but always in moderation. But I could NOT lose weight, and indeed always seemed to gain it. If your problems continue, I advise you to get your insulin and thyroid checked. You could have an underlying problem which is causing the weight gain.

I struggled for YEARS, I am still struggling. Don't get discouraged. You can do it! You really can! Even if sometimes it seems like you're getting nowhere.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    aronow4 wrote: »
    I just started this month more in the last week. I am 5 ft tall and weigh 184 lbs and i am 29 yrs old. Not sure what my cal intake is and execise is limites but working forward on that

That's probably your answer right there.

1. You don't know how many calories you're eating, so even if you're eating the same amount every day you could be eating over maintenance. Figure out how much you should be eating for moderate weightloss and start tracking your calories in mfp and hitting this target.

3. You've only been going for a week, give it time.

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member
    aronow4 wrote: »

If you aren't sure how much you're eating, that's why you're gaining. Start logging now.