Disheartened by body fat reading

Options
2»

Replies

• Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    For the body fat reading, all I can suggest is trying a few methods of calculating and taking the average, or check over a period of time and weights (historical if available).

*I* wouldn't worry about it that much, but then I am not doing any effective training or core exercises so I have a pretty high percentage. It's not an issue for me at the moment.

I don't know how accurate the handheld device is, or how accurate the scale may be.

As for your goal, you don't mention your age, but I would talk with a doctor and not a trainer.

For reference, I'm 48, and 5'2", and my doctor expressed grave concern over my intention to drop my weight to 130. 10 years ago, he might not have had those concerns. 20 years ago, he might have been comfortable with my aiming for a goal of 120. Your mileage may vary.

huh? what's wrong with being 130 at 48? i'm 105 at 5'4" and age 40 and if my doctor told me to gain weight, to be above 130 or actually height adjusted to 138, i'd get a new doctor.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    A piece of advice has always stuck with me, and I've heard it from a few people who are super lean; when it come to having a really low body fat level most people will end up being much lower on the scale than they ever thought they'd need to be.

A lot of times our goal weights seem light from a distance, but it's possible to hit your goal and still have a ways to go toward a truly low body fat level. Of course a serious recomp will leave you with a higher weight, but a leaner body.
  • Aviva92
    Options
    My personal opinion is to dump the trainer, buy the book "New rules of lifting for women" join the MFP group of the same name and transform yourself into a sexy beast.

this.

the trainer sounds kind of stupid to me. the hand held device is no more accurate than a body fat scale and telling you that you're in some risk group makes him incompetent.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    My personal opinion is to dump the trainer, buy the book "New rules of lifting for women" join the MFP group of the same name and transform yourself into a sexy beast.

Facebook-Like-Button.jpg
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Forget the numbers. You look great, and you're so tiny.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I had a similar experience, similar stats and the trainer used calipers and said I was like 35%. I said, "no way". I researched it and people said often gyms inflate it to talk you into buying training packages. Bunch of bs. That's the last gym I used.
  • Aviva92
    Options
    note to self - never get your body fat percentage checked. not worth the blow to your ego.