Shoulder Press - advice

Options
2»

Replies

• CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    benpoepen wrote: »
    If you hurt your shoulders, you're out of the running for a LONG time. So using a machine for higher weights is actually a wise thing to do. To at least get the power to perform the exercise correctly.

But are you doing only shoulder presses or are you doing the right thing? That is doing compound exercises like benchpresses, lat pulling which targets the delts indirectly and THEN do shoulder presses?

If not, please do so.
    And do some shoulder presses on the machine with higher weights to finish it off with low weight free weight presses. (think 2-3 sets of 10 with 40kg, finishing off with 2-3 sets of 10 with 10kg)

Free weights for lighter weight is better than machine for heavy weight to prevent injury. Form over weight. Leave your ego at the door.

Yes.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    well to get straight to the point...I find this particular exercise nearly impossible!

I use a machine at the gym rather than free weights. So I have a program of 4 sets, which are as follows:
    1st set 10 reps at 40kg
    2nd set 15 reps at 25kg
    3rd set 10 reps at 40kg
    4th set 15 reps at 25kg

I get through the first two sets with a good degree of burn. Then I star the 3rd set which reverts back to 40kg and I manage about 5 reps before it kills me.

Am I getting something wrong here? It is THE most difficult exercise to do.

Further info - I use all of the different weight machines with similar patterns during the same workout which also includes 40 mins of cardio work too.

I do this Monday to Friday with sat and sun for resting.

Any advice would be gratefully recieved!

Thanks again

BFM

I think the bolded is part of the problem if I'm interpreting this correctly. You really shouldn't work the same muscle/groups of muscles on consecutive days...you're not giving yourself any recovery between lifting sessions and that recovery is where you make your strength gains.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    I would suggest getting to a well structured program before attempting your own build. Check some videos on form and you'll be set. If you must stick to machines and what you have above which is kind of like doing "ladders" I would make this kind of adjustment. Set...

1 - 20kg's @‌ 10reps
    2 - 30kg's @ 10reps
    3 - 40kg's @‌ 10reps
    4 - 20kg's @‌ 10reps
    5 - 30kg's @ 10reps
    6 - 40kg's @‌ 10reps *heck you may even try a rep max here*

This isn't something you'll want to do everyday and you might even start lighter than this depending on the progression available on the machine (2.5kg's / 10kg's).
  • boredfatman
    boredfatman Posts: 100 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Guys, so much helpful advice here! Thank you for all the help.

So, I'm going to give the weights a miss completely today so that my muscles get some rest, (just cardio today), and I'll start this in earnest tomorrow.

It does frustrate me some of the poor advice that I've apparently been given so far.

However some of the techniques suggested here I will definitely try and I might get some free weights for my own use too.

The shoulders are aching today from yesterday's workout so definitely a day off I think.

Can I do rowing on my rest days for some exercise, or am I best to stick to other forms of cardio such as elliptical and bikes?

Thanks again

BFM
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Where did you program come from? Has this training approach got a name?
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Guys, so much helpful advice here! Thank you for all the help.

So, I'm going to give the weights a miss completely today so that my muscles get some rest, (just cardio today), and I'll start this in earnest tomorrow.

It does frustrate me some of the poor advice that I've apparently been given so far.

However some of the techniques suggested here I will definitely try and I might get some free weights for my own use too.

The shoulders are aching today from yesterday's workout so definitely a day off I think.

Can I do rowing on my rest days for some exercise, or am I best to stick to other forms of cardio such as elliptical and bikes?

Thanks again

BFM

Rowing is fine. It will probably help those achy muscles in fact.
  • Sickpuppyapb
    Sickpuppyapb Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    No mention of warm up that I can see? You should be doing a good 5-10 mins of light cardio, bike/treadmill/handmill to get blood moving. Then perform three to four sets of light weight versions of the exercise to prime your nervous system and muscles for what's to come.

If you've not done much before then those weights sound far too heavy. Your muscles basically give up so they don't get injured. You need to build up.

And as most have mentioned, freeweights are much better. Standing and doing overhead presses not only works your shoulders but all your core and stabilising muscles too.

And as others have said, you should never work the same muscles day after day, they should really have a 48-72 rest period depending on their size and amount of work done.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I am very confused by what you're trying to achieve with 10-15 reps. Also- you do the same routine M-F with 40 mins of cardio?

I personally have done Starting Strength/ StrongLifts 5X5 and think that they're great structured (and free) programs that you can do on your own. I can't offer specific advice on shoulder presses, other than that freeweights/bars are better than machines because you have to use your own stabilizing muscles.

I can speak to your overall schedule. Most people have lifting days and cardio days. They may cool down/warm up with cardio on a lift day, but that would be the only exception. You're not going to get the most (strength) out of your lifting if you're fatigued from cardio and you're not going to get the most (max HR, endurance, best time, whatever your target is) out of your cardio if you're fatigued from lifting.

Stronglifts 5X5 is a lifting program that does Monday, Wednesday, Friday lifting days. The non-lifting days (Tues, Thurs, Sat, Sun) can be cardio, with 1-2 rest days. The other great thing about a structured program is that a lot of people do it. If you're in the weight area and you're confused about your deadlift, chances are someone there knows how to deadlift using an olympic bar. You can easily ask someone to check your form, "Hey, can you tell me if my back is curving?" because they've all been there. A few people I know with home gyms set up cameras to record themselves and check their form.

Good luck!

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    If you hurt your shoulders, you're out of the running for a LONG time. So using a machine for higher weights is actually a wise thing to do. To at least get the power to perform the exercise correctly.

But are you doing only shoulder presses or are you doing the right thing? That is doing compound exercises like benchpresses, lat pulling which targets the delts indirectly and THEN do shoulder presses?

If not, please do so.
    And do some shoulder presses on the machine with higher weights to finish it off with low weight free weight presses. (think 2-3 sets of 10 with 40kg, finishing off with 2-3 sets of 10 with 10kg)

:lol:
  • zipa78
    zipa78 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    If you hurt your shoulders, you're out of the running for a LONG time. So using a machine for higher weights is actually a wise thing to do

No. Machines can be really bad for your joints, since they force you to a fixed range of motion, which could be totally wrong with regards to how your joints actually can and want to move.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    Don't workout the same muscles and program everyday.

Better to use free weights than a machine since machines can't possibly identify what you're ROM or weaknesses are.

Stick to basic pyramid training by increasing weight and lowering the rep count if multiple sets are to be used.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• boredfatman
    boredfatman Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

Well today I did swallow my pride and asked to be shown round the free weights room. I tried out various exercises and I can immediately see that they feel completely different to the machines...my balance was all over the place.

So I am going to practice those different weights over the next week, with a proper program being drawn up next Friday. I will be doing different muscle groups on different days with a mix of cardio thrown in.

Quite looking forward to it even though I still feel like a bit of a prat!

On a side note, I've lost 7 pounds over the last three weeks so I'm pleasantly happy with that!