do americans, truly understand the british sense of humour

Options

Replies

• Mswack78
    Mswack78 Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    All getting a little too serious for my liking! Not a massive fan of the Irish comedy if I'm honest, too slap stick for me, prefer a nice comedy series like 8 out of 10 cats... Sarcasm always seems to be missed in the British humour and we can be very dry...

Lets not forget the Cadburys stuff is still waaaay better than that hershey stuff...yak (now owned by the American company Kraft though!!!)

• walkonfire5
    walkonfire5 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Oh dear.3664324_o.gif

Lol lol, well i say how is Britain suppose to fight a war when we can throw our slaved population At the trenches Lol. I say give Ireland back the 6 counties. we dont want it and they defo dont want to be slaved. By there english master's lol
  • anadoesit
    anadoesit Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    mrswack78 wrote: »
    All getting a little too serious for my liking! Not a massive fan of the Irish comedy if I'm honest, too slap stick for me, prefer a nice comedy series like 8 out of 10 cats... Sarcasm always seems to be missed in the British humour and we can be very dry...

Lets not forget the Cadburys stuff is still waaaay better than that hershey stuff...yak (now owned by the American company Kraft though!!!)
    I don't think the best of Irish comedy makes to the UK either.
    Both are funny!
  • walkonfire5
    Options
    mrswack78 wrote: »

Dont get me started on cadburys Even the irish would agree and the only thing They would on. About how disgusting cadburys chocolate has become
  • walkonfire5
    Options
    Lol banderbandits lol
  • anadoesit
    anadoesit Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Rubberbandits you mean?

Sminky Shorts: Hilarious youtube video cartoons... http://www.youtube.com/user/SminkyAnimation
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    sometimes technology is a beautiful thing, it allows you to see things you wouldnt have been able to many years ago, oh, the original Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, done in Dutch, much MUCH better than the American version any day of the week!!!!

Swedish, not Dutch. I refused to watch the Hollywood version, it seemed so utterly ridiculous as a concept when you already had seen the original. But back on topic, sorry.

I have some friends in the UK and at times don't get their jokes. Also, they do this mocking thing where I can't decide whether it's funny or just plain appalling out of etiquette perspective, because one has to know someone else quite well to get away with stabs like that where I come from, and even then the stuff is bordering on hurtful. So no, that type of stuff I don't think opens up to many on the outside.
  • BigDougie1211
    BigDougie1211 Posts: 3,530 Member
    Options
    But what about adam sandler net worth 350 - 500 million dollars and brings out movies at a shocking rate lol

Hold fire there Big Guy - it's very easy to say what about Adam Sandler ( although I love Happy Gilmore, Funny People, Billy Madison & really enjoyed The Longest Yard ) but the Americans hardly have a monopoly on broad unfunny comedy. Mrs Brown's Boys is the most popular thing on British TV at the minute. Lee Evans is the highest earning British comedian and as for Mr Bean....

Besides Cheers, The Office & Modern Family America gave us Community - so, ya know, swings and roundabouts.
  • donnysoule
    donnysoule Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    I think the better question is: Do Americans ever admit to not understanding anything? ;-)
  • Noogynoogs
    Noogynoogs Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    A sense of humour comes in all shapes and sizes - dang :-)
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    I think SOME Americans understand English humor and appreciate it more than American. I'm American but find American humor to be too obvious and mean-spirited, to be honest. English is also much more likely to involve irony and satire, which is difficult for some of us to grasp.

We're also into "hero worship" here, and it's no wonder there are so many narcissists in this country. It's been my observation that when I see a show in the UK, the audience will clap politely, whereas in the US there is always and forever a standing ovation, which has to be somewhat patronising to the performer.

Anyway, I grew up watching English shows that I would find on PBS. My parents couldn't understand what I saw in them.
  • Skyz4dayz
    Skyz4dayz Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I am in love with British humor. I will only watch the British Top Gear because of this.
  • walkonfire5
    Options
    Alright community Was great but everyone left. But they still try to cash cow everything. Why do americans run every into the ground and bleed it for every last drop. When it becomes old and unfunny finish early on a high note. Dont drag it on and on and on and on for years
  • emdeesea
    Options
    Alright community Was great but everyone left. But they still try to cash cow everything. Why do americans run every into the ground and bleed it for every last drop. When it becomes old and unfunny finish early on a high note. Dont drag it on and on and on and on for years

Because just about everything in this country is all about making profit. So like you say, bleed it until it's dry. Get every last cent you can from it.

Ugh. One of my favorite English shows was Blackadder. I loved how that show was ended. (I know that's going back to the 80s but it's my all time favorite show)

• BigDougie1211
    BigDougie1211 Posts: 3,530 Member
    Options

Syndication unfortunately, although in Community's case, it kinda does have to be 6 seasons and a movie or it's all been a waste of time.
    But it doesn't always go bad. 30 Rock was excellent from start to finish, so was Frazier,
    I also forgot about Archer, The League, Drawn Together...top quality stuff.
    And the English aren't exactly blameless....
    Only Fools and Horses? One of the best sitcoms ever - but resurrected more often than Dracula and it didn't go well.
    - And now you have " Still Open All Hours " - Jesus, who thought that was a good idea.
    - Last Of The Summer Wine.

I don't mind the cash cowing so much though, it's a business after all. Someone has to pay the " artist's " mortgage.
    I sort of view it as a means to an end.
    Like, I tried not to get too annoyed while Channel 4 was doing Big Brother - just kept telling myself " it's cheap to make and it'll pay for The IT Crowd. "
    And Mrs Brown's ratings probably don't hurt the Budget for Sherlock - there always has to be a pay off.
  • Noogynoogs
    Noogynoogs Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    Check out British comedy Benidorm so funny :-)
  • jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    Considering shows like Fawlty Towers and movies like Monty Python and the Holy Grail are among my favorite comedies of all time, I like to think I understand it. However, I still think Benny Hill and Mr. Bean blow chunks. ;)
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I understand British humor, but "Keeping Up Appearances" is my jam.
  • emdeesea
    Options
    jnichel wrote: »
    Considering shows like Fawlty Towers and movies like Monty Python and the Holy Grail are among my favorite comedies of all time, I like to think I understand it. However, I still think Benny Hill and Mr. Bean blow chunks. ;)

I have to admit, I did like The Benny Hill Show, but it definitely was not your typical English comedy, which is why I think he was so popular in America. It's my understanding that he was generally disliked in the UK.